Gen 1 Horn Help!

NorthCounty

'90 horn started and would not turn off. Banged on the steering wheel a couple times moved under hood and unhooked horns.
Dead battery in '91. Put it on the charger, fire it up, horns on and would shut off. Unhooked horns from under the hood.
Anyone have this happen? Any fixes?
Thanks.

NorthCounty

One happened probably close to 2 years ago. 2nd one about 4 months ago afternit sat with a dead battery for several months - charged the battery then fired it up, horn blasting!

JAVYPRO

Observer
NorthCounty,

I know how to fix it.

Under the center steering cover you will find that the contacts are separated by a thin piece of foam that over the years turns brittle and deteriorate into pieces.

I fixed mine with a piece of felt from Michael's, Walmart or any craft store, cut it round like the old foam and cut holes where the contacts are, DONE. It is that simple.

I fixed mine like 15 years ago and it is still working.

Javy

NorthCounty

Sweet, thanks! I will pop.off the center cover and take a look. Thought it was strage that both rigs started doing the same thing. Horns are one of those things you can do without until you need it.
Hand gestures usually isn't the proper substitute.

NorthCounty,

I know how to fix it.

Under the center steering cover you will find that the contacts are separated by a thin piece of foam that over the years turns brittle and deteriorate into pieces.

I fixed mine with a piece of felt from Michael's, Walmart or any craft store, cut it round like the old foam and cut holes where the contacts are, DONE. It is that simple.

I fixed mine like 15 years ago and it is still working.

Javy

When mine went bad, I used double sided foam tape. The tape kept the foam in place. I did have to clean some places so the tape had something to attach to.

NorthCounty

Thanks guys for the help and suggestions. Pulled the center cover up, exposed the center foam and bingo, source of issue. Will replace the deteriorated foam backing with felt or 3M foam tape as suggested. Appreciate the help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles