Gen 1 -----> gen 3

1morebike

Adventurer
So my 1990 blew it's head gasket the other day with a large list of to do and the lack of safety features (I have a two year old) I think it's time to replace it. I'm looking at gen 3 and 2003 or newer my question is what kind of milage are you guys getting out of the 3.8 engine? The ones I'm looking at are 134,000 or 164,000 my gen one had 298,000 on it and I'm just wondering what to expect. I searched but didn't really find a good thread discussing higher mileage gen 3

plh

Explorer
I've got ~15x,xxx on mine. have owned it over 5 years. No issues - keep up to date on the timing belt/water pump PM and I'm hoping for +250K. about 2 years ago I had a code thrown for O2 sensors, replaced all 4 - passed emissions, code went away for about 3 months then came on again, continued to drive it, no effect on gas mileage. About 2 or 3 months ago I installed spacers (spark plug non-foulers) on the ~2 year old O2s and the code is off again and passed emissions again - we do it every 2 years here. Hopefully this cures it. Gas mileage is 17 to 19 mpg on the highway - I run regular 87 octane.

Last edited:

KyleT

Explorer
150k on one 192k on the other.

That truck seems high. I would offer 4500. I paid 6k for my 06 in really good shape from a dealer. 160k miles when I bought it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1morebike

Adventurer
Not much in my area I really want 2003 or newer I could wait it out and try and unload my 1990 with blown head gasket

I could wait it out and try and unload my 1990 with blown head gasket"

unload it at my shop.....
i take all unwanted gen 1's i even take only slightly wanted gen 1's

1morebike

Adventurer
I could wait it out and try and unload my 1990 with blown head gasket"

unload it at my shop.....
i take all unwanted gen 1's i even take only slightly wanted gen 1's
I'll let you know. I'm going to try and sell it but I refuse to let it go to the junkyard. It's got so many new parts and I have decent amount of parts in the garage it even has the original cigarette lighter.

it seems many of these gen 1's in the northwest are original.
mine too, though it was derelict, when i got, it was all original. (it aint now though)
my theory is that, like big mercedes sedans, the monied people bought these rigs and held on to them possibly as a mountain cabin vehicle. spun them when deq regs made it expensive , and the lower classes ended up with them(me). actually im lower than even the lower classes. as i got mine on its way to the crusher after the lower classes had neglected it to a no start condition. but those people bought it from mountain people..

i cant find MSRP for a 91 but i think they were pricey units new.

1morebike

Adventurer
it seems many of these gen 1's in the northwest are original.
mine too, though it was derelict, when i got, it was all original. (it aint now though)
my theory is that, like big mercedes sedans, the monied people bought these rigs and held on to them possibly as a mountain cabin vehicle. spun them when deq regs made it expensive , and the lower classes ended up with them(me). actually im lower than even the lower classes. as i got mine on its way to the crusher after the lower classes had neglected it to a no start condition. but those people bought it from mountain people..

i cant find MSRP for a 91 but i think they were pricey units new.

I was pretty lucky with mine the original owner loved it a took really good care of it. The second owner was decent to it. I knew what was getting into when I bought but with kid and the lack of safety features I just felt it wasn't worth it to replace the head gasket. I'm sure at some point I'll regret getting rid of it.

Pampas86

I'll let you know. I'm going to try and sell it but I refuse to let it go to the junkyard. It's got so many new parts and I have decent amount of parts in the garage it even has the original cigarette lighter.

Is the cigarette lighter for sale??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles