Gemtop Outfitter VS. Leer 100 Series Opinions?

jerstw

Adventurer
Anyone have experience with these toppers? Trying to make a comparison of this top vs. a Leer 100 XL with Thule rack setup. Will be on a daily driver with the purpose of being a weekend camping rig for my two boys (6 and 3 years old). The Outfiitter in question has the dual rear door, front slider and the flip up screened sides. The Leer 100 XR was a consideration but I prefer the side glass look of the XL, not sure I have a preference to sliding sides vs. tip out sides. I was all set on the 100 XL however there is a "deal" on a Gemtop has has piqued my curiosity.

Thanks in advanced.

rambrush

Adventurer
I run the gem top workmaster double rear doors flip up sides w sliding front window. Mine was built with the 4x4 beefier design. I think even the other models can safely hold 250lbs on top. Gemtop's do not require the rack to extend down for support like other manufactures.
I can have the interior packed and have necessities on the flip up door shelves makes life pretty easy. when camping the side shelves get used as pantry shelves.

Last edited:

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
My local Leer/Gemtop dealer recommended the Gemtop for offroad use. The 4x4 beefup as mentioned above is a must also. My friend's got one and has driven into many Baja spots with zero damage. He did cover the inside of the barndoors with plywood though.

jerstw

Adventurer
Thanks for the feedback. Since I am not seeing anything on the Gemtop site what is the difference in the "4X4" version vs. a regular version?

rambrush

Adventurer
I bought mine when it was still gemtop owned and not with the current owners. I went and looked also and it does not list options anymore sounds like you may have to give them a call.
I may still have a old copy but calling will be better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles