Gears or more horses?

D

Deleted member 9101

Typically, tunes on a gas engine would lean out the air/fuel ratio to gain more power. Factory tunes are a safe bet. For those reasons and only two options to solve your problem, I'd add more gear. Unless you hire a tuner and get a custom tune where he dyno tests it and then road tests it in the environment and load conditions that you will be traveling in. The end result will probably be a factory tune in that case, unless you install a custom cam, headers and get more air in prior to the tuning.

When I "tuned " my EcoBoost the shop had me install the mods, upload the tune, then drive and log the data for a week. Then they tweaked the tune and we started the process over again. After two revisions, it's perfect.

The data gathered on a dyno is nice, but not very comparable to data logging while you use your truck.

F350joe

The hydra certainly fixed the searching issue. With the 80 horse tow tune it doesn't miss a beat now. It really woke this thing up.

Love my hydra, like a new truck. I like the 60 hp performance tune and seem to get the best mpg with it when driving light footed. The 60 hp eco tune is nice too, no smoke. Watch your EGTs on the 80hp tunes when climbing.

digitalnomad

When I "tuned " my EcoBoost the shop had me install the mods, upload the tune, then drive and log the data for a week. Then they tweaked the tune and we started the process over again. After two revisions, it's perfect.

The data gathered on a dyno is nice, but not very comparable to data logging while you use your truck.

I was referring to a two step testing approach. Dyno and then road testing. It was inferred both scenarios analyze logging. Perhaps in your case you wouldn't have had to "tweak" (bug fix) the update if initial testing was done on a dyno first.

D

Deleted member 9101

I was referring to a two step testing approach. Dyno and then road testing. It was inferred both scenarios analyze logging. Perhaps in your case you wouldn't have had to "tweak" (bug fix) the update if initial testing was done on a dyno first.

A dyno in no way represents the real world. Hence why "dyno queens" usually don't do well at the drag strip.

In my case the revision had more to deal with synchronizing shift points with the massive change in the power band than the engine its self.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
A dyno in no way represents the real world.

Not quit THAT simple.

Peak dyno numbers in no way represent real world And is probably what you meant.

A dyno can (and should) be used to maximize power throughout the RPM band.
This directly relates to real world.

A dyno can also allow you to tune in a way that the motor eases into power in low and mid revs and then piles it on in the upper revs,
in order to maximize power AND attempt to save the motor and/or drivetrain.

This is a popular approach for boosted vehicles, as you typically need revs to keep the EGTs in check.

D

Deleted member 9101

Not quit THAT simple.

Peak dyno numbers in no way represent real world And is probably what you meant.

A dyno can (and should) be used to maximize power throughout the RPM band.
This directly relates to real world.

A dyno can also ease into power in low and mid revs and then pile it on in the upper revs,
in order to maximize power AND attempt to save the motor and/or drivetrain.

Can you replicate launching your vehicle on a dyno? No

Can you replicate hills on a dyno? No

Can you replicate inconsistencies in the track on a dyno? No

Can you replicate towing on a dyno? No

Can you replicate a road course on a dyno? No

Can you replicate stop and go traffic on a dyno? No

About all a dyno is good for in a modern vehicle is getting a baseline, other than that they are just a cute toy. I'd rather log the data where/how I actually use my vehicles than in a shop that in no way represents reality.

Had I spent my time playing on a dyno rather than on the street, I probably would have melted a piston while towing.

Also... I want my power to hit at the lowest possible RPM... which is probably why my truck shocks the hell out of people.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I'd rather log the data where/how I actually use my vehicles than in a shop that in no way represents reality.

Had I spent my time playing on a dyno rather than on the street, I probably would have melted a piston while towing.

That's your choice. I've done both.

Like I said, dyno can and should be used to maximize output across the rev band.
Being more consistent than "real world" it tends to be more effective at doing this.

As for melted pistons, that's not a dyno problem, that's a tuning problem. Period.

billiebob

If all it does is hunts between gears, the programming is wrong.

I know any automatic I drive in the mountains I hate for just that reason. But if I click the "tow/haul" mode..... it becomes a fabulous vehicle. Programming is the answer. Gearing will jusy "move" the hunting problem to a different speed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles