Gearing for Monteros - List

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Taken off the ADD Adventure Driven Design Forum:
https://www.adventuredrivendesign.com/forums/

-Here are the ratio options and your axle options, use this info to figure out your gear vs axle applications

Taken from Outerlimits

Gen 1

2.3 TD = 4.875, 5.29
2.6 / 2.5 TD = 4.625, 4.875
2.5 TDI = 4.625, 4.875
3.0 V6 = 4.625, 4.875
t/case = 1.944:1 low range for 2.6, 2.3 TD & 2.5 TD, 1.925:1 for 3.0 V6

Gen 2

2.6 = 4.875
2.5 TD & 2.5 TDI = 4.875, 5.29
3.0 V6 = 4.625, 4.875
2.8 D = 4.875
2.8 TDI = 4.90
3.5 DOHC V6 = 4.636
t/case = 1.925:1 low range for 2.6, 2.5 TD, 2.5 TDI & 3.0 V6, 1.90:1 for 2.8 TDI & 3.5 DOHC V6

Gen 3

2.8 TDI = 4.90 5sp man
3.2 DID = 3.90 5sp auto or 4.10 for 5sp man
3.5 SOHC V6 = 4.30 5sp man & 5sp auto
3.8 SOHC V6 = 4.30 5sp auto
t/case = 1.90:1 for all

Gen 4
3.8 SOHC V6 MIVEC = 4.30 5sp man and 5sp auto
3.2 CDI = 4.10 5sp man or 3.917 for 5sp auto
t/case = same as Gen 3

[color:"red"]
Axle Data [/color]

Gen 1

2.6, 2.3TD, 2.5TD & 2.5TDI (some) :-
front axle = 25 spline, 29mm diameter, diff = 7.25" diameter (low pinion)
rear axle = 28 spline, 30.5mm diameter, diff = 8" diameter
3.0V6 :-
front axle = 28 spline, 29mm diameter, diff = 8" diameter (low pinion)
rear axle = 28 spline, 30.5mm diameter, diff = 9" diameter

Gen 2

3.0V6 :-
front axle = same as Gen 1 except for NH & NJ auto has 7.25" diameter front diff (high pinion) NH & NJ 5sp man has 8" diameter front diff (high pinion) [color:"blue"] some models with auto transmisions will also have 8" high pinion but will have smaller CV joints [/color]
rear axle = 28 spline, 30.5mm diameter, diff = 9" diameter

2.5TDI :-
same as NH & NJ auto

3.5V6 & 2.8TDI :-
front axle = 28 spline, 29mm diameter, diff = 8" diameter (high pinion)
rear axle = 31 spline, 33.5mm diameter, diff = 9.5" diameter

Gen 3

3.5V6, 2.8TDI, 3.2DID, 3.8V6
front axle = 28 spline, 29mm diameter, diff = 8" diameter (high pinion)
rear axle = 33 spline, 36mm diameter, diff = 9.5" diameter

Gen 4
same as Gen 3

Note :- Mitsu factory Aisin manual hubs (found on some models - Gen 1 or Gen 2 base models & Tritons) are interchangeable and will retrofit to all Gen 2 models with super select.
These will not fit to a Gen 3 model as they run solid one piece hub flanges (non-removable).

Offroadmuch

Explorer
-I hear that I can get 4.90 gears from a 2001-2002 and drop them into my 2003, 3.8L, 5spd automatic for better power with 33's.
-Does that sound correct? If so I am going shopping at the junk yard!
-I am not sure if I am reading the above info correct but I don't see 4.90 on the 2001-2002.
-Anyone have info?
-I am new to changing gear ratios so sorry if this is basic.

KyleT

Explorer
I believe 4.90 came in 01-02 with the 4 speed auto and "manual" t-case". Get one that has a LSD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
Gen 3 had 4.90 gears in all 4speed (XLS) models. In 2003, the 4sp was dropped in favor of the 5 speed with 4.30 gears. Both ratios are interchangeable between all Gen 3s. Look for HYBLID LSD on the rear label to determine if it has an LSD.

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
Also for the 4-cyl non-US models, there was a 5.86 gears. I should have purchased the set on The Wire a few years ago.

Michael Brown

I meant to put this here.

I was talking about the differential gears. The transfer cases are specific to the transmissions being used. I have not seen a transfer case gear change in a Gen 3, but that does not mean it is impossible. I know it would be more expensive than beneficial.

I will post this in the forum as well.

You would need to replace both the front and rear differentials to go from 4.3 to 4.9. Otherwise your AWD and 4WD will not work at all. I only did a rear differential change, but I kept the 4.3 ratio. I needed to replace a bad differential and added an LSD in the process.

For the actual swap, you need to locate 4.9 parts from an 01-02 XLS with a 4-speed transmission. This is easiest to confirm by looking for a manual transfer case shifter. LSDs in those models were not standard, so most may not be. The Limited 5-speed models were more common to have LSDs. Some have said it was standard, but I have seen some without.

The rear differential is a pretty easy swap and can be done without jackstands:
Order an entire assembly WITH side output flanges (http://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-2002-****...9YM77E&vxp=mtr)
Put the parking brake on and place the transmission in N. This will lock the side axles but let you rotate the driveshaft once unbolted.
Chock the wheels as well. Be very careful on a slope
Remove the rear breather hose <<<<There is a plastic fitting in the housing that may break if the hose stays connected - Ask me how I know
Use a paint pen to mark the driveshaft and differential input flange. This is to mark it for balance purposes in case you want to switch back. Paint pens last much longer than Sharpies.
Make the same marks for the two rear axles.
The rear axles are attached to the output flanges with 6 bolts each.
The driveshaft has 6 bolts as well.
***This part helps to have another person***
Use a jack to support the differential. Unbolt the 2 bolts at the front and 2 bolts at the rear.
Lower the assembly and take it out of the car.
Move the large rubber/steel isolator from old diff to the new one.

Install in reverse order. Check fluid levels and use Mitsubishi LSD oil if you purchased a Hybrid LSD one.

I have not done a front swap, but it can be done by changing the entire front section (http://www.ebay.com/itm/01-02-MITSUB...FWcJ-v&vxp=mtr). There is also information out there about it.

Use the FSM to check for anything that I might have missed, but it has good diagrams of everything.

***A word on the Montero/Pajero LSD***
Mitsubishi uses a Hybrid LSD in the 01-02 Monteros. This unit combines a Torsen/gear LSD with a clutch to provide preload in free-wheel situations. The gears are much more durable, but Torsen units cannot function with a wheel in the air because the output torque becomes 0 on both sides even though speed is different. To compensate for this situation, Mitubishi employs a small clutch pack that heats up and engages when the speed difference is high. This provides enough torque to get the worm gears interlocked. This system needs Mitsubishi LSD oil to allow proper function of the clutch. The LSD also works with the 03+ traction control without causing problems.

offthepath

Adventurer
I am planning on adding an ARB to the rear of my gen 3 this winter. I'd love to go 4.9s and 33's. Is getting used diffs the way to go or is anyone buying new RP gears and installing them?

For the front I'd be ok with used but in the rear I'd hate to buy some junk that fails......

I'm still of the fence though. I'm running 32in tires now with an ome lift and wonder how much benefit I would see from 33s......? I'm sure it would look bad *** though!! I would just run 33s with the stock gearing but in the rocky mtns I don't want any less power. Bad enough now.

Michael Brown

I am planning on adding an ARB to the rear of my gen 3 this winter. I'd love to go 4.9s and 33's. Is getting used diffs the way to go or is anyone buying new RP gears and installing them?

For the front I'd be ok with used but in the rear I'd hate to buy some junk that fails......

I'm still of the fence though. I'm running 32in tires now with an ome lift and wonder how much benefit I would see from 33s......? I'm sure it would look bad *** though!! I would just run 33s with the stock gearing but in the rocky mtns I don't want any less power. Bad enough now.

Used diffs are the best option. I have a used unit from an 01 that has 35k more miles on it since I installed it. The only ring and pinion sets I ever found worth buying were OEM and $600 a set. Plus the cost of install makes it $1000 vs $300 for a complete assembly.

The factory units are very tough and even larger than a Ford 9" (The ring gears are 9.5" rear and 8" hi-pinion front). More info http://www.pocuk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=150018&sid=20e8eaf37e9c2f07e34fd7d40745f608

Monteros can fit 33's stock, so with an OME lift it should fit 34" or 35". Someone else would have to confirm this.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I meant to put this here.

I was talking about the differential gears. The transfer cases are specific to the transmissions being used. I have not seen a transfer case gear change in a Gen 3, but that does not mean it is impossible. I know it would be more expensive than beneficial.

Some guys I know sell a transfer case gearset (Made by Marks 4WD Australia) for the Gen 3 and it makes a MASSIVE difference, capability goes through the roof. Wheel control, traction (lower wheel speed and less shock loads) I can't say enough good things about Mark's Crawler gears.

offthepath

Adventurer
Toasty,
Do you know anyone who has run these gears here in US gen 3s? I have looked into the gears and it seems there was some confusion if they could be run us US monteros.

I think that would be an awesome upgrade. Id actually consider doing that before diff gears.

FullMonte

Adventurer
I just replaced my 06 transfercase gears to Mark's 4WD 3.15's. Before that I had my differential gears upgraded to 4.9s. I haven't tested my TC gears yet but I'll be with the AZ boys at the end of the week for the Expo, should have an impression about them after.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Offroadmuch

Explorer
I just replaced my 06 transfercase gears to Mark's 4WD 3.15's. Before that I had my differential gears upgraded to 4.9s. I haven't tested my TC gears yet but I'll be with the AZ boys at the end of the week for the Expo, should have an impression about them after.

So with that combination of gears will you be set up for crawling? I have heard d of changing transfer case gears or diff gears on Gen 3's but not both. Will you be using it for your daily driver?

FullMonte

Adventurer
So with that combination of gears will you be set up for crawling? I have heard d of changing transfer case gears or diff gears on Gen 3's but not both. Will you be using it for your daily driver?
That's what I've been told! Lol, I think I'm the first to do it, unless Montypower's cousin put his in when it was sold to him. I'm excited to see how it crawls at the annual Sierra challenge trip or this weekend at the Expo trip. We'll see!

My Monte isn't specific to just off road trips, but I have other vehicles I drive. So it's not a DD, but sees it's fair share of regular daily driving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior