Gear that works

J!m

Pepsi can stove never fails.
Kerosene always starts a camp fire. Wet wood, humidity, snow, it doesn't matter.

Nothing to fail on a cast iron pizza pie maker.
https://www.amazon.com/Romes-1805-R...ocphy=1023810&hvtargid=pla-320110816921&psc=1

Steel Foot long+ 4x4 lumber nails are better stakes for tents and tarps than anything fancy that we use. But they're heavy. Need a strategic place to put such ballast.

Stihl makes the only expo rated chainsaws. Lol.

Don’t forget the pre-mix for fire starter. First time I did it I think they saw it on the ISS...

J!m

I have one milk crate type carrier that is longer and wider as well as lower. It’s red- maybe from coca/cola? But I’ve used it many times for my canned goods. When I had my apartment in Long Island I’d use it all the time, so I always knew what I had and it was all fresh when I left.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Don’t forget the pre-mix for fire starter. First time I did it I think they saw it on the ISS...

That's why I use K or DA. Gasoline won't light, won't light, still won't light, then FOOOOMP!, huge fireball.

trae

Adventurer
Fiskars axes? The molded fiberglass handles are super robust. My friends keep breaking their wooden axes and my fisksars is still chugging along.

PPCLI_Jim

Adventurer
MSR STOVES I've had mine +20 yrs ,used on multiple deployments and exercises. Work in almost all weather and environments when combined with multi fuel jetting and wind break. I've used mine from -80c to 50+c sea level to tops of mtns. , mine I generally leave running normal gasoline but have run diesel JP8 avgas ,naptha,MSR-11782_7ENo_20Color_dbf9836f-00b6-4d27-b664-830c960fc3ae_1268x.jpg

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Trying to stay away from fan boy & gee whiz items, these are things I would directly replace if stolen (they will not wear out quickly);
Svensaw; still trying to wear out the first one (bought in the 1970's (not for heavy duty pioneering or construction; stores easily in a vehicle and is light enough to backpack).
USGI-Issue Trifold E-tools (small enough to hide permanently in the vehicle big & tough enough to do small to medium jobs when needed). Again; big/full sized tools work easier but not when they get left in the shed/garage.
The old reliable Svea 123R stove and Coleman propane stove have outlasted many newer designs...
Trangia stoves (cost more than Pepsi stoves but have an O-ringed screw on top).
Heavy silver tarps for ground cloths (if you must; they can be cut down as a "footprint").
35AH AGM deep discharge - tent battery enough for some lighting and some stereo (but not fridges) for up to a week of "civilized" camping... easy to carry from the vehicle to the tent.
Rated tow points 2-front and 2-rear (If you don't get temporarily delayed some one in the area will (get stuck/need assistance).
A good kinetic snatch strap (Cheaper, lighter and quicker than a winch; stores better than a kinetic rope. Have quit installing winches on my vehicles; they are so rarely needed)... does require a second, capable, vehicle.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Hilift Extreme with a winching kit. I've given up on electric winches as well. Rarely needed, too expensive, too heavy. Senseless bling, bling.

I'm starting to like the Wilco HD hitch tire mounts for 37" tires, with the cooler mount on top. Frees up room in the camper.

HD mud rated tire chains. When your diffs are becoming just low side finders, that should be blamed on the tires, not the diffs. A good set of chains, also rarely used, are perfect.

Also Cable chains if your trip is in the mountains in the winter. They're useless off road, but more useful on road than heavy chains.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles