Gear inside the spare tire.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
A little bit different from what we typically see here on expo, but this is how I store a LARGE amount of additional gear on my #LX45

#1. Yes, I have made the decision to not carry a spare wheel. I run a heavy aluminum beadlock style rim which is generally a lot stronger on the other edge, and also make it a bit easier to change a tire.

On more difficult trails, I find rearward and over the shoulder visibility key. Having the spare tire laid down in the bed drastically helps this along with keeping the weight low for stability. The downside to running a 40" tire is that a spare tire takes up a HUGE amount of volume. The amount of storage volume inside the tire is frankly amazing. I am able to fit 4-5 of my waterproof #TitanToolBags inside the tire. When full they are almost a perfect match for the inner diameter of the tire. It helps to have a few sections of wood 2x4 to spread the tire beads which makes getting the bags in/out easier on the fingers (and the wood also functions as jack cribbing or emergency fire kindling). I even found a round 'super' cooler that fits inside the rim hole! With the straps run through loops on the cooler, I don't have to undo anything to access the cooler during the day.

The gear inside the tire isn't my day to day gear. I usually keep 4 bags in the tire.....Tools, vehicle spare parts, spare fluids, and a 'fix-it-kit'. My recovery bag goes behind the driver seat along with my recovery rope. For camping trips, there is enough room ahead of the spare tire for two large dry bags for camping gear.

I thought I would share this to help people keep thinking in different directions as far as efficient gear storage.

millercl

I think that your situation is much different than many here. I think I would like to hear some varying opinions on this, here are my thoughts on how most people here do it:

1. Still under the vehicle. This pertains mostly to smaller rigs that do not have ground clearance issues. this honestly seems like the best for a true "overlander"/ daily driver build. Also, causes issues with the tire/rim getting dirty with mud/ice/snow/other road debris and always seems like it won't work when you need it to.

2. Jeep style where the tire is mounted to the back door/BUMPER mounted swingout/mounted stood up in the bed like the AEV Prospector XL. This helps with keeping the tire less dirty and easier to get off, but also is more likely to be susceptible to theft. Also causes issues with sight and has a higher center of gravity. In extreme conditions could cause departure angle issues. Also sometimes hard to get in the back. My mom had a TJ with an older rear bumper and swingout and sometimes we would have to use a hammer to get it open.

3. HITCH mounted swingouts. Honestly, it depends on the day. This has a lot of the benefits of #2 but also has more issues with rattling and theft is easier with this. When I have thought about this as being a benefit I have thought of having a dual swingout with modular sides that I could carry a bike on one side and gear/gas/dirty clothes/tire/anything on the other (the joys of modularity).

4. Laid down in the bed of a truck with a strap. Theft becomes a concern with this, but out of sight out of mind. The center of gravity is better with this. Make sure the strap and hook mechanisms are strong or that could cause issues. Depending on the set up could be more organized, like metcalf here, or could be less organized, pull into walmart and look in the bed of every pick up in the parking lot. This also does help with the view and is less of an obstruction.

I actually run 6 (2+4) and 1. I run 6 where the tire is vertically stood up but it is right behind the driver and is parallel with the other wheels. This is kind of for aesthetic as this is in a 1970 GMC and it is a factory style wheel mount. But the more I run it the more I enjoy it. It doesn't block the view that much, it takes up minimal floor space and it is solidly mounted. My daily driver runs 1 and I'm sure it has issues but honestly I have never really looked at it. One of those out of sight out of mind things. Maybe I should look at it one of these days, we'll see I guess.

I find the no rim and storage space inside a good idea in the right use. I understand that most of you carry the necessary tools to mount and unmount wheels but for my uses right now this just doesn't make since. I do not carry a big enough air compressor to do it, although I did recently have luck with the ratchet strap method. And more than that I prefer metal toolboxes with drawers which wouldn't go well with the shape of a tire. Lastly, I don't necessarily have the space constraints you do. My daily driver is and extended cab Canyon with a high topper so I could load that down with more than it can handle. And the 1970 is worse, its a single cab 8ft bed truck. I could carry 3 spares, toolboxes, and sleeping stuff and still have more room than many new truck beds. Really, it all depends on your needs and metcalf has definitely thought outside the box with this. Anyone else have anything similar to this? Or have any ideas that make me look like an idiot?

Hnoroian

Observer
Nothing like a 1.5 year old thread but yes a great deal of storage. I wonder if the OP ever had to change a flat, hope he had time on his side.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Nothing like a 1.5 year old thread but yes a great deal of storage. I wonder if the OP ever had to change a flat, hope he had time on his side.

Lots of miles and lots of trails on this setup across multiple vehicles. I've never had to do a full tire swap in the field, but I mount/dismount all my own big tires on beadlocks anyways because tire shops shy away from them. I did finally have a single puncture on my Colorado BDR trip this summer. We ran border to border north to south on mostly dirt/gravel/rock. Had something poke a hole in the inside of the right front tire day 1-2. A single plug held for 500+ miles over the rest of the trip. In total, that trip was about 700 miles of 'dirt' that was run at about 10psi and over a thousand total.

I do recommend taking a few things that help change a tire like some medium spoon bars and a bead buster.

At this point, tire failures are a low enough occurrence for me that the juice is worth the squeeze so to speak. Being able to store ( a lot of ) equipment in the tire saves a ton of space in my packing plan.

I look at is this way, a traditional spare tire only really fixes one issue anyways, having the tools and knowledge to repair tires on the vehicle is important. The distance between having one flat vs two flats could only be your wheelbase.

I'm never in enough of a rush that changing a tire on the rim will be THAT big of a deal to me.

An interesting point that come up on another trip.....A spare tire alone can also be half way ready to swap on someone else's rim if their vehicle has a different bolt pattern than yours.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
@Metcalf , no way, that's the first place cops and border agents look, packing stuff where it doesn't belong can get your vehicle torn apart! Except for the Loo, that's a good spot for the poo bag. LOL!!!

Hnoroian

Observer
I'm never in enough of a rush that changing a tire on the rim will be THAT big of a deal to me.
I dream of that concept.

I know tire shops around here stay away from them too. It is time consuming and most wouldn’t know how to proceed about changing them out. Kudos to you for doing so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke