GDMTBR Anybody do it?

Great Divide Mountain Bike Route. Anybody ride it? I am possibly doing it in 2021. 2800 miles from Canada to Mexico along the Continental Divide.

Bike?
Training?
Mindset?
Time off work?
Gear?
Shelter?

Etc???

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Well the record for the Tour Divide is 13 days, 22 hours, 51 mins. So if you're like Mike Hall (RIP) your normal 2 weeks vacation should be fine. :)

It took me more than 2 weeks to do the Colorado Trail bike route at a decidedly non-stud singlespeed slug's pace, which is only 528 miles. So extrapolating it'd take me about 10 weeks.

Im not looking to do the Tour Divide. I can't fathom that in under 14 days. Im not riding at a studs pace either. 2 weeks vaca won't cut it. Colorado Trail sounds like fun.

Howard70

Adventurer
Bike?
Training?
Mindset?
Time off work?
Gear?
Shelter?
Etc???

Hello John:

I've not done the Divide, nor any trips that long. I've thought about it a bit and here are my ideas about your points:

Bike - Of the bikes I currently ride, I'd use my Salsa Cutthroat. According to many accounts much of that 2800 miles is suited to a relaxed geometry drop bar bike like the Cutthroat. If you currently ride a bike with a flat bar then You might stick with that. If you ride drop bars then the splayed drop bars on something like the Cutthroat could suit you. I'm familiar with much of the New Mexico stretch and headwinds are likely - thus having drops, or even aerobars, can help maintain sanity.

Training - Lots of LSD (long steady distance - although the 60's type might help as well).

Mindset - Damn this is fun! Could tomorrow's sunrise be any better than today's?

Time off work - If you have to ask, you probably can't afford it..... Seriously - I'd take as much time as I could get and then ride as much as that allowed and tackle the remainder the next year.

Gear - Everything as light and minimalist as you can afford. It was a rude awaking for me to learn that my bikepacking kit needs to be lighter than my backing kit if I want to have fun. If there is any doubt at all, leave it out. Anything you don't have and desperately need can probably be purchased along the way.

Shelter - You'll likely be living in whatever you take for several weeks. If you currently camp with just a bivy bag or a tarp for more than a week (including rain and bugs) then that would work for you on this trip. I've used tarps, bivys, and ultralight tents (Big Agnes Fly Creek 2, and Hyperlight Mountain Gear UtraMid 4) on my recent packrafting, bikepacking and backpacking trips. For short trips the tarp suits me, or even the bivy if there isn't going to be any rain, but if I'm out for long periods with unknown weather, likely bugs, etc. I usually take the Fly Creek. It weighs about 2.5 - 3 lbs (depending on how may stakes I take) but provides a welcome place to hang out for a day or two of downpours or keep the mosquitos off for a day while I have to wait for that New Mexico red clay to dry out enough for forward progress. The UltraMid is pretty much just for packrafting trips where a paddle can be used as the center pole. If you see some really light shelters that are tempting you might check out how they are supported. Quite a few modern ultralight shelters depend on trekking poles for support - which you probably won't carry on this trip. Once you need to carry poles for the shelter, dedicated tent poles could actually be lighter and provide better support.

Whatever you decide you're gonna have fun- but you already know that!

Howard

DaveInDenver

I don't have any experience on the GDT either but will add my FWIW to Howard's comprehensive list, if for no other reason than to support that what works for you is going to vary. You don't say if this is your first bikepacking trip or if you're specifically looking for Great Divide info (which is what I thought, GDT is a pretty major 1st step otherwise) with prior experience.

I use a rain tarp and either a ground tarp or bivy sack. I'll take both on long trips over a week usually or if I expect a great deal of variance in weather or elevation. What I actually use will then depend. I might just use the ground tarp and be under the stars when it's hot, for example.

Bike-wise, Howard makes good points. First and foremost it would seem you need whatever is comfortable since you'll be sitting on it all day, day-in, day-out. A little misfit that you can live with normally turns into a serious pain and potentially injury real quick. As for type, the Cutthroat seems like a great selection. I only have the one bike (REEB Dikyelous) so I don't have the luxury of a quiver. My selection criteria is limited to what gear ratio I want to run.

The rest of the gear, Snow Peak Gigapower stove, 1L ti pot, Enlightened Equipment quilt, Sawyer filter that I built into a gravity feed system, ultralight puffy jacket, cheap-ass flip flops for camp shoes, rain gear, extra gloves, socks.

As for re-supply, I generally pick post offices about every 4 days and mail myself a box. For planning I calculate for 5 MPH and try to average 8 MPH on the trail. I generally can average 50 miles per day at a leisurely-but-not-dogging-it pace and so that works out to around 6 to 7 MPH on average. On the GDT and with gears that should be significantly higher. But I've never really done much extended touring on anything other than a single speed so I don't know what a realistic numbers.

IMG_1408_mid.jpg

IMG_1392_mid.jpg

Dave and Howard thanks for the tips and your advice.

Currently I have a FS 29'r with 1x12. Love the 1x12. I am already looking into a Hardtail frame. REEB's new stuff is nice. Cuttthroat is nice too. Buying a new bike is out of the question. Last year I cracked a frame and bought a new bike to replace it. I have enough parts with little to no wear to build up a bike and be able to have the essentials with me... Chain, quick links, lube, cassette brush, extra cable, brake pads, tube, some no tubes goop. Lots of time to put that stuff together.
Experience wise? Mountain biking is extensive. Been ripping woody trails since 87-88, camping also extensive though I have not gone ultra light. I have backpacked. Jamming everything together into an amalgam of cooperation and it'll be perfect without a hitch...Right?

Thats why I am looking at 2021 for the Divide. It'll give me time to train, get set, ready, affairs etc. but also to do extended trips to make all (haha-some) of my mistakes near home so a phone call can get me out of trouble . I won't be doing it alone either. I'll have 1 other guy with me who is a road biker, camper, backpacker outdoors enthusiast etc...I looking forward to getting ready for it. Training trips...yup, I love being on my bike. I know I can do the 70-100 a day. I am not sure I can do it for 2800 miles. So, a year and a half into the future I'll have a better Idea...

Thats why I am picking brains now..

Thanks again.

DaveInDenver

I do endurance races but being able to finish a Leadville 100 doesn't translate to being able to do 100 miles constantly daily unless you're Mike Hall, et al. Be realistic in expectations and figure some days you'll do 80 miles but others 35 for whatever reason, mechanical, rest, weather, exploring.

Work out your system ahead of time, run it through a few tests. You'll get it figured out pretty quick.

Also I'd caution doing extended tours (which I call more than 2 weeks) with a partner unless its someone you already have a lot of time with.

Howard70

Adventurer
Hello John:

You've probably already run across this, but the forums at bikepacking.net are packed with information and refreshingly free of scorn and cantankerous dribble. There is a lot of information on the GDMBR spread among several of the subforums. The Ultra Racing subforum is a good read for that and other trade routes - even though one isn't racing much of what gets discussed is helpful.

Bikepacking.net is not as flashy as Bikepacking.com, but it has an authenticity that I like alot, as well as much more user to user communication.

Howard

Fadeagray

My wife and I rode the GDMBR in 2018, we started in Banff on the first week of July. It’s an incredible ride and adventure. We had the time to enjoy the route, taking nearly four months to complete the ride. This allowed us to linger in cool places and explore along the route. Our total mileage was just under 3,000 miles.

We road Salsa Fargo’s modified to each of our needs. Mine was a carbon rimed 27.5 x 3.00 tire. With all the climbing and extra load, gearing is important. I choose a 1 x 11 cassette (11-46T) with a Wolf Tooth 32 tooth front chain ring. Your 1x12 drivetrain will work well with the right front chain ring for your load and strength.

For training we rode 20 - 40 miles 2 - 4 times a week leading up to the departure. We have both been mountain bikers for years but this was our first bike packing trip. Starting out with moderate segments for the first week will help develop the conditioning for extended riding in the mountains.

Bikepacker.com is a great source of gear info. Most of the selection depends on preference. A few items that I liked:
- MSR Whisperlight International multi-fuel stove. Many of the people that I met along the way used a canister stove. Most of them worried about finding fuel. I never had a problem with fuel and could have used unleaded gas if needed.
- MSR Guardian Water Purifier. I had to provide clean drinking water for two people. We carried as much as 17 liters of water in The Great Divide Basin and in New Mexico. I wanted extra water if a bike broke, or one of us got hurt. The Guardian worked very well and was faster than gravity systems.
- Loksak smell proof food bags. I used a bear hang and bear boxes whenever possible but, many nights were spent camping in the wilderness without a suitable tree to hang food. On those occasion, I left my food on my bike in the frame bag.
- Heinox Ultra Light Weight Chair - This was a luxury item that was strapped to the top of my handle bar bag. It was well worth the weight to have some place to set down for dinner or coffee in the morning.
- Tubeless tires and extra sealant. We met a rider on tubed tires in New Mexico. He had seven puncture flats in a five mile segment. My definition of a very bad day.

With limited shower opportunities, hygiene is critical. Saddle sores will ruin a scenic ride. Baby wipes and A+D Ointment are your friend. ?

I lost over 20# on the ride. It’s hard to get enough calories when food storage space is limited. Dehydrated backpacking meals are too bulky and heavy. Spam packets, tuna packets, chicken packets, peanut butter packets, refried bean packets, instant mashed potatoes and instant oatmeal are easy to carry and available along the route. We wrapped everything in a tortilla and skipped plates. Peanut butter on an energy bar is a great fuel during the day. My favorite energy bar is Cliff Blueberry. String cheese will last 2-3 days without refrigeration. To keep bears away, never eat close to your tent. Cold meals worked best for dinner although, oatmeal and coffee before breaking camp is a nice start to the day.

The views on the GDMBR and the trail angeles that you will meet can never be forgotten. Best of luck on your ride.

Attachments

• CC8965D5-65C0-4585-9EF6-C474C1C3E1D6.jpeg
    CC8965D5-65C0-4585-9EF6-C474C1C3E1D6.jpeg
    432.5 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Desert Cyclist

In 2013 I made an attempt at the Tour Divide. It didn't work out as planned, but I do have some insight regarding the first 1,000 miles or so.
Bike- KISS. I rode on an aluminum hardtail that I had converted to drop bars with Genevale shifters and cable brakes. No particular complaints with the drops, between those and aerobars I had lots of positions, helped stave off the faatigue of staying in one position all the time. Would not ride the same bike (Redline D680, an XC race machine. If I were to go back and ride it again at a touring pace, would choose one of three Surly models, the Karate Monkey, the ECR or any one of their fat bikes. Regardless of brand I would stick with a steel frame (or Ti if you can afford it), rigid fork and the wide tires, at least a 2.5, 3.0 if you can fit it, 4.0+ if you go for a fatty. Good cable operated disk brakes provide plenty of stopping power and are easy to field fix if needed. Would suggest a 1X drivetrain with a fairly small chainring, some of the climbs are grueling.

Training- lots of it, and as similar to ride conditions as possible. At least once a week try to ride your anticipated daily milage on dirt with your full load.

Mindset- you are out there to have fun. Some days will suck, others will be wonderful, enjoy the ride.

Time off- I had a buttload of PTO racked up, YMMV.

Gear- even though you are not racing, keeping it light will make the trip easier and more fun. I wouldn't reccomend a trailer. I was trying to race, so I went ultralight, no stove or cook gear, bare minimum clothing for the anticipated weather. You will need a way to carry plenty of water for the southern end of the route, and really should bring a way to purify water from sketchy sources. Sawyer filters are light, compact and effective. I didn't use a backpack, kept everything on the bike. If you can handle all day rides with a pack, use a hydration pack for water and a few other incidentals, free up space in your other bags for a few more comfort items than I carried. Carry some good rain gear, I got caught in one MF of a storm, bad enough that when i hit pavement again heading in to town (Helena?) I got pulled over by a cop telling me to get off the road, out of the weather, which was exactly what I was trying to do.

Shelter- I used a minimalist bivvy bag. I wouldn't do it again. get a light, compact one or two person tent, it will be worth the minimal extra weight.

ETC- Have fun! I would love to do it again, finish the route at a tourist pace.

If you want a somewhat more manageable route, or can't get enough time for 2700miles, look at the Oregon Timber Trail, 670 miles, 55% singletrack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94