Gazelle Tent or Kodiak Canvas?

Atl Bob

I'm in the market for a tent for me and 2 kids. I really like the OZ tents but the length is a problem I have a pickup w/ a 64" bed and want a tent that can fit in the bed with the tail gate up (and not diagonal). So far it looks like the Gazelle T3 (or T4 plus) or a Kodiak Canvas tent. What's everyone experience/recommendation. I love the idea of the easy set up of the Gazelle, but the Kodiak looks like it would be more functional. Below are some needs:

- Great ventilation - I live and camp in the Southeast
- Want something that I can stand in to change. I'm 5'10" but don't mind crouching a little.
- Less than 64" when packed.
- Can be set up by 1 person
- Not planning cots (at least not for the kids), but also don't want to be stacked like cordwood when sleeping. 1 Adult, 2 kids, and sometimes 2 beagles.
- Not planning any extreme cold wx trips
- I'm not looking for a backpacking tent...I have that covered already.
- I prefer quality over price.

Looking forward to ideas suggestions...I open to other products if they can fit my needs

TylerA23

I can't directly answer, but I can say I've enjoyed my T-4 (non plus) so far in its limited use. I've only used it in the backyard a few times so far. My thought/idea is to baby step my three year old into camping. So far he's loved it and done great. We'll hit up the local state parks next, before he joins me on longer dispersed camping.

The are several reasons i went with the T4.
-Price (very reasonably priced
-ease up set up. It is just as easy as shown. Putting my old pole tent together stressed me out WITHOUT KIDS. I couldn't imagine WITH kids.
-height. I'm 5'11 and can stand up in there and move around with ease.
-seems pretty well made
-easy to take down - just as shown again.
-havent used the removable floor option yet, but seems like it'd be nice especially with kids tracking stuff in

I've only used it in the cold weather so far (15-40 f). So I can't comment on how well it vents. I'm also in the Southeast, so I hope it does well! haha.
The size is the drawback, as I'd prefer to have it in my Cherokee, but I plan to strap it on my roof rack bars, along side my roof rack. Others have said they havent had an issue doing that. We shall see.
I do wish the door was different. The "D" shaped door can be a tripping hazard. I've gotta slow the three year old down, or remind him to watch his step. Definitely not a a deal breaker.

I definitely have not put this tent through the ringer, or had a lengthy experience with it yet. Just thought I'd share my brief experiences with it in the backyard with the little man so far. Also to comment on how much I appreciate the ease of setting it up as a dad, with a very energetic kid running around. That alone makes it worth it to me, but i've never tried the other instant style tents before either.

Good Luck!

towee

I have both and love both. You can’t go wrong either way. I love my T3 but I mainly use it as a solo might be too cramped with kids and dogs. I think size wise you will want the T4 or at least the kodiak 10x10. The gazelle is free standing and will set up quicker. Kodiak has better doors will handle foul weather better and can easily be set up by one person and has more size options.

GB_Willys_2014

I am very happy with my Kodiak 10x10

But, it is heavy and takes up of room in my Jeep.

Set up and take down is not bad at all, and doesn't take that much longer than my light weight backpacking tents, but I also have much more experience with the latter.

Consider using lag screws and a battery powered impact hammer instead of stakes and elbow grease.

Laps

I bought a Kodiak Canvas 9'x8' last year and spent 2 weeks in it while traversing the Continental Divide off road in Colorado. I thoroughly enjoyed the extra space, with just me and my GSD, and the interior height. It was storm proof and ventilates very well. Setup takes a bit longer than a smaller tent, but I had no difficulties setting up or breaking down. I have owned many tents over the years, including large teepees to one other canvas wall tent and many backpacking tents. My brother has a T4 and I camped with him for a few days (he and his son in the T4 and me in the KC) in the North Georgia mountains and he has used it on a cross country trip he took with his son. He is happy with it. If you are looking for long term durability and all weather capable then I'd go for the KC, if you want lighter weight, less expensive and less storm proof (think 3 season) then go with the T4.

Last edited:

4runnerteq

Explorer
Kodiak 4 person we really liked, BUT, it's so freaking heavy. It is pretty easy to set up other than driving in all the big long stakes. Ours leaked in a thru a pin hole near the bottom of the back door in a rain. I should have sent back but never did. Honestly it was one of the deciding factors in upgrading to the teardrop. Yes it's nice and roomy. We put 2 cots in it in an "L" fashion that left plenty of floor space to change or whatever. But the weight, the long stakes, just didn't want to do it anymore. Haven't had the Gazelle, but it looks like a great option.

GB_Willys_2014

Kodiak 4 person we really liked, BUT, it's so freaking heavy. It is pretty easy to set up other than driving in all the big long stakes. Ours leaked in a thru a pin hole near the bottom of the back door in a rain. I should have sent back but never did. Honestly it was one of the deciding factors in upgrading to the teardrop. Yes it's nice and roomy. We put 2 cots in it in an "L" fashion that left plenty of floor space to change or whatever. But the weight, the long stakes, just didn't want to do it anymore. Haven't had the Gazelle, but it looks like a great option.

Impact hammer and lag screws is a game changer.

But, yeah my Kodiak setup is some 80lbs. I shlepp the components individually.

Crazy Schooner

Fortune's A Mistress
I bought some Kodiaks in the past and never used them camping, just set them up in the back yard, and seasoned them. I never ended up keeping them, due to cost/weight and small wear and tear things. The roof on every used one I've seen, like to show off dirt/look mouldy if not cleaned every time you take it out. The side poles can catch the fabric on setup if your not paying attention (By this, I mean when trying to catch the side peg once you raise the roof).

I bought a Gazelle T4 on a whim before heading out on a week long trip and really enjoyed it. Only annoying part was the door but that can be ignored. It was fast and easy to setup/take down. Bit long but light when packed. I'm 5'11 and had no problems with the height. Between the two options, I highly recomend geting the Gazelle to try out, especially if it's cheaper and from what I've seen online, they usually are.

shade

If you're considering Kodiak, don't forget to look at Springbar; I believe they're the originators of the design. I have a Kodiak 10'x10' that I've used as a base camp tent for three adults on cots. Good tent, and 10'x10' works well on most prepared tent pads at campgrounds.

jonathon

I am going to have to try the impact driver and lag bolts with my Springbar. That sounds like a winner. Think a 1/4” will do it or should I use a 1/2”?

I have a Springbar Camspite 3, 7x10 size. Kodiak is a similar design. With three of us it’s perfect. I love the treated canvas. No condensation even on rainy days and it breathes on hot days. I’ve camped in high winds and 100 degree heat and it’s great. My only complaint is it is huge when packed up. I won’t go back to nylon.

Before the Springbar we had a cheap 10x10 dome tent, it worked but it was hot, didn’t breath, and noisy in the wind. Also found finding a place to setup a 10x10 to be challenging where the 10x7 is a lot easier to fit into a level spot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles