Gassers: Ram 3500 6.4L vs Ford's F350's 6.2 and 7.3 Godzilla for overlanding

Craig_C

If you want a 52 gallon gas tank, 7.3 (little less hp). I would consider a e350 cutaway with a 4x4 conversion. Quigley uses stock Ford parts and retains the warranty. The issue is finding someone to finish it and only comes with 6 speed. Plus the wait time. It is also 2 1/2 feet shorter though. Just another idea.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
<Ultra Major Eye Roll with an added Kartwheel for effect>
Ok Boss! ???
I sure hope you're dressed when you present the kartwheel. :ROFLMAO:

If you want a 52 gallon gas tank, 7.3 (little less hp). I would consider a e350 cutaway with a 4x4 conversion. Quigley uses stock Ford parts and retains the warranty. The issue is finding someone to finish it and only comes with 6 speed. Plus the wait time. It is also 2 1/2 feet shorter though. Just another idea.
Send that chassis-cab to Quadvan (or ExpoVans) instead of Quigley for the 4x4. Then do a Boxmanufaktur or Total Composites cabin. Would more easily allow the crawl-thru.

sg1

Adventurer
The entire rig was just under 8000. It was a Transit AWD cutaway with a 12 ft. composite box similar to the ones offered by Total Composits. Between 2011 and 2019 I did about 100,000 miles in Africa and Latin America with that rig. The only unplanned technical stops were due to tire punctures.

cobro92

I sure hope you're dressed when you present the kartwheel. :ROFLMAO:

Send that chassis-cab to Quadvan (or ExpoVans) instead of Quigley for the 4x4. Then do a Boxmanufaktur or Total Composites cabin. Would more easily allow the crawl-thru.

Yes I think this setup will check a lot of boxes.

4x4 (with full Ford warranty)
Simple box design
35 inch tires
Pass thru

Total cost before the box is right around 50k I think.

If only they offered the cutaway design with a second row of seats. Then it would be perfect I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
The entire rig was just under 8000. It was a Transit AWD cutaway with a 12 ft. composite box similar to the ones offered by Total Composits. Between 2011 and 2019 I did about 100,000 miles in Africa and Latin America with that rig. The only unplanned technical stops were due to tire punctures.
Pics or it didn't happen. ;)

Yes I think this setup will check a lot of boxes.

4x4 (with full Ford warranty)
Simple box design
35 inch tires
Pass thru

Total cost before the box is right around 50k I think.

If only they offered the cutaway design with a second row of seats. Then it would be perfect I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed! However, by the time you have a cabin built or build a cabin, then a full interior, you do end up with a much larger cabin due to the snub-nosed E-Series, but boy does that 4x4 conversion cost a WHOLE lot more than the $3k for factory F-Series.
Been down the road of 2nd row seating ideas for this exact setup. It's possible if you enlist some mobility-rated L-track, Unwin seat lockers, and a quality 2nd row bench seat (ie Metris; ExpoVans/Base-Fab has a slick CAD-designed floor mount to connect the Metris to the Unwin's to L-track).

jackflash

Observer
From Titan on the gas tank for the truck. If it works out for you let me know. I would love to have a 55gal tank in mine.

Unfortunately with a gas powered truck it is very limited. The EPA/government has regulations which make it virtually impossible to do replacement or auxiliary tanks for gasoline. The gasoline tank is considered to be part of the EVAP system which is illegal to alter or tamper with in any way. What they do allow are transfer tanks between 10 and 15 gallons like our SideKick tank. Here is a link to it https://www.titanallterrain.com/titan-sidekick-15-gal-portable-liquid-tank-5040015

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
From Titan on the gas tank for the truck. If it works out for you let me know. I would love to have a 55gal tank in mine.

Unfortunately with a gas powered truck it is very limited. The EPA/government has regulations which make it virtually impossible to do replacement or auxiliary tanks for gasoline. The gasoline tank is considered to be part of the EVAP system which is illegal to alter or tamper with in any way. What they do allow are transfer tanks between 10 and 15 gallons like our SideKick tank. Here is a link to it https://www.titanallterrain.com/titan-sidekick-15-gal-portable-liquid-tank-5040015

Will definitely do! Need to employ my ace engineer on it, but he's slammed.

Good to know further info, thx!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles