Gassers: Ram 3500 6.4L vs Ford's F350's 6.2 and 7.3 Godzilla for overlanding

jadmt

ignore button user
Ram hd seems to rate high in owner’s satisfaction and reliability compared to the others. Just driving around on a dirt road probably tough to feel the difference between 6.2, 6.4 and 7.3. No one ton truck is going to be even a mild/ medium rock crawler (think rubicon trail type stuff) without extensive work. I have had my power wagon to moab and does great on dirt roads but would fail at truly offroad stuff Unless you wanted to beat the crap out of it.

Grassland

What are the gearing options on the Ram 3500? And IIRC doesn't the one ton ram go to leaf springs rather than coil? Does it offer factory locking differential? How large of a fuel tank is available?

I'd go Super Duty just for the aluminum body for maximum lifespan without dealing with body rust. An investment of this price (I'm guessing 60+ thousand USD minimum just for truck) I'd want it to last. They also have a minimum of 34 gallon tank here in Canada in configurations I've looked at.
Super Duty gives option of 3.73 and 4.30 gearing from factory and rear locker, which will make more of a difference off road I'd think. 6.2 in 4 low with 4.30 ratio would have plenty of torque in most cases. Montypower has a camper on a super duty with 6.2 and 37s and doesn't seem to be having any problems.

Porkchopexpress

No one ton truck is going to be even a mild/ medium rock crawler (think rubicon trail type stuff) without extensive work. I have had my power wagon to moab and does great on dirt roads but would fail at truly offroad stuff Unless you wanted to beat the crap out of it.
I am of the same opinion which is why I want to tailor my suspension to hauling a camper. The thinner sway bars on a Tremor for off road articulation are literally the opposite of what you want for a slide in camper with a higher CG.
Even without off road modifications, it should be fine on dirt roads.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
No personal experience...but I have a close friend that bought the Ram with the 6.4 Hemi in it three years ago. She is already closing in on 70,000 miles on it, and most of that is with a horse trailer in tow. She reports no problems at all, only routine maintenance and a set of tires.

jadmt

ignore button user
I would bet all 3 of these gassers will get about the same mpg when running the same conditions. I am amazed at how good my 6.4 gets considering I had read they were gas hogs. Even on winter gas it is doing great.. I have no doubt a 6.2 or 7.3 is getting close to the same +- a smidgeon.

twodollars

I have a 6.2 with the 6 speed in a 2015 f250. Still surprised how well that engine pulls. But, I've never ever thought "I bought too much engine in that truck" I'd go 7.3 if it's not too much of a difference in cost. Doubt you'd go wrong with any of those choices as far as powertrain is concerned.

RoyJ

Adventurer
My wife and I are debating full size platforms for a flat bed (short bed) camper with international travel in mind. We've narrowed down selections to Ram 3500 and F350 gas engines due to payload and fuel availability everywhere. There will be some highway travel involved and lots of off road touring, some mildly technical but not seeking overly technical rock crawling tracks per se. I would love opinions and examples regarding:

1) reliability of the engine / transmission combos
2) off road capability engine / transmission-wise
3) off road capability suspension / angles (approach, departure, brakeover, turning)
4) International serviceability
5) MPGs in hauling but not towing conditions
6) If Ram, would you consider AEV, if Ford would go with the Tremor?

Now that Ram finally has an 8 speed, for real overland use the powertrain itself is not even a factor. They only become important towing a 10k lbs travel trailer.

Tailor your choice based on which chassis you want, and just take whichever motor comes with it. They're all very good, and miles ahead what was available 20 years ago.

Trips around the globe has been made with engine half the power of a Ford 6.2, at higher GVW.

ScottPC

In December I placed an order for a 2021 RAM 3500 RCLB 4x4 so you may be interested in reviewing some of my decision making. Although GM and Ford have nice offerings also, I selected the RAM platform primarily because of the AEV suspension and components available. My goal here is not to ignite a debate regarding suspensions but to the best of my knowledge there is not another single company who engineers and tests their suspension and components to the same degree using OEM test criteria and facilities.

Here is one of the videos that sold me on the AEV system:

With the AEV / Ram partnership, I'm assuming no warranties are voided? Did you order through your dealer to coordinate with AEV or AEV directly?

jadmt

ignore button user
With the AEV / Ram partnership, I'm assuming no warranties are voided? Did you order through your dealer to coordinate with AEV or AEV directly?
according to AEV yes unfortunately some of the warranties are voided. It is the fine print. Now what warranties those are is hit or miss but if you are running 40" tires most of the drivetrain could be affected. who knows what a dealership would say about the new dash if there were electric problems. any suspension parts would be covered by AEV but not RAM. Driveshafts on a lifted rig most likely no covered.

jadmt

ignore button user
When I talked with AEV they mentioned that if their system was installed by them or one of their certified dealers the standard vehicle warranty remains intact. If you order individual components and install them yourself each components qualifies for it's own one year twelve thousand mile warranty.

My personal experience is that AEV go above and beyond to take care of their customers. A few years ago I called them with some questions regarding components I purchased in 2001 and following a brief discussion they had over $1k worth of components heading my way the next day. My plan is to have my new truck delivered to AEV directly and have them perform the work since Michigan is not that far away and I have family in the area.
better read the warranty because they clearly state the following.
7.Chrysler/Jeep Warranty. Chrysler/Jeep’s warranty is the primary warranty on all AEV vehicles. Please refer to the current Chrysler Jeep Warranty Guide for more details. Installation of AEV components may void certain aspects of Chrysler/Jeep’s warranty.

jadmt

ignore button user
Thank you for citing your source jadmt - I respect that. Over the past three decades I have modified so many vehicles that warranty is not much of an issue to me. A close friend and I were having dinner a year ago following the purchase of his $70k truck and he was contemplating modifying it now, accepting some risk but enjoying it for the next several years. Or, his other choice was to delay the modifications and enjoyment while waiting for the factory warranty to expire.

At our age time is much more valuable when compared to money. He ordered all his components the next day and has been keeping me updated on his adventures. He's just waiting on me to get my truck completed before we spend more time around the campfire sharing stories of the past while creating new ones at the same time. I'm living life and loving it while encouraging others to do the same.
I am the same. I literally have drove a new jeep home from the dealership 6 miles away and immediately installed an AEV lift and a week later drove it to Moab and was doing golden crack and behind the rocks. I don't worry too much about it but do like people to know anything aftermarket can be cause for denial of a warranty. My next door neighbor is the GM at the RAM jeep dealership so I might have a little better luck than most but if on the road probably not so lucky. I only worry about the big things and electronic things. Most of my buddies are in the same boat all old and like modifying stuff lol. By good buddy bought an F150 5.0L middle of last week and already changed oil and is trying to figure out if he should change the whole exhaust or just the muffler or the resonator. He is looking for a front end lift for it. I am doing the same with my PW.

sg1

Adventurer
If you want to travel internationally avoid mods. It is difficult enough to get parts and support for a American one ton truck abroad. Aftermarket parts will have to be shipped. Any stock HD truck is capable enough to deal with anything you encounter on a trip to Patagonia or Africa with one exception : With a stock fuel tank you may not have enough range. 500 miles on gravel roads is the minimum in my experience. 700 would be better if you want to visit remote areas. When I crossed the Sahara in the 90s I had a stretch of a little more than 1000 miles between gas stations. But these trips are not possible anymore. The other mod you may think about are heavy duty shocks. A few thousand miles of washboard will test the quality of your shocks. Don't get fancy tires. The only parts you definitely will replace on a long trip are filters, brakes and tires. Get a size you can find abroad. I met travelers who were stranded for weeks because they had to get their tires shipped from the US at considerable expense. Traveling is not playing in an offrad park.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles