Gassers: Ram 3500 6.4L vs Ford's F350's 6.2 and 7.3 Godzilla for overlanding

ScottPC

My wife and I are debating full size platforms for a flat bed (short bed) camper with international travel in mind. We've narrowed down selections to Ram 3500 and F350 gas engines due to payload and fuel availability everywhere. There will be some highway travel involved and lots of off road touring, some mildly technical but not seeking overly technical rock crawling tracks per se. I would love opinions and examples regarding:

1) reliability of the engine / transmission combos
2) off road capability engine / transmission-wise
3) off road capability suspension / angles (approach, departure, brakeover, turning)
4) International serviceability
5) MPGs in hauling but not towing conditions
6) If Ram, would you consider AEV, if Ford would go with the Tremor?

Last edited:

cobro92

If you’re going international, then gas is really the only option. If you’re going gas, then the 7.3 is the best option, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cobro92

The 7.3 should also be fairly reliable. It doesn’t have a long track record, but on paper it should be long lasting and easy/simple to fix when things do break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 9101

While I'm a huuuge fan of the 7.3....the 6.2 has been used on Parts of Africa and Central and South America, so you can get parts. The 6.2 with the 10 speed is a pretty bullet proof combo and will have enough power to haul you around.

Last edited by a moderator:

Porkchopexpress

I have been participating in a couple similar threads so forgive my repetitive responses. I chose to order and F350 lariat with FX4, 7.3, Crew cab and 6.5 foot bed. I decided against the Tremor because I want to tune the suspension to carry a slide in camper and drive 95% pavement and 5% dirt roads. I think the trucks you are comparing are all so good that you personal preferance should trump any nuances over a couple mpgs or an inch of extra suspension travel or perceived reliability. I like the Ford but I can't fault anyone who prefers Dodge.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I’ve settled on a Ford myself, 7.3. F250 because it sits a little lower but you can still order the over load springs. Not sure on wheelbase as the big fuel tank is only offered on the crew cab long box as far as I can tell.

ScottPC

While I'm a huuuge fan of the 7.3....the 6.2 has been used on Parts of Africa and Central and South America, so you can get parts. The 6.2 with the 10 speed is a pretty bullet proof combo and will have enough power to haul you around.
I thought the 6.2 is only available with the 6 speed transmission is the 10 speed and option.

ScottPC

I have been participating in a couple similar threads so forgive my repetitive responses. I chose to order and F350 lariat with FX4, 7.3, Crew cab and 6.5 foot bed. I decided against the Tremor because I want to tune the suspension to carry a slide in camper and drive 95% pavement and 5% dirt roads. I think the trucks you are comparing are all so good that you personal preferance should trump any nuances over a couple mpgs or an inch of extra suspension travel or perceived reliability. I like the Ford but I can't fault anyone who prefers Dodge.
Thanks for your comments. I do have another post that's similar but as I was getting useful though sometimes off topic comments and thought I start another thread for those insights.

Porkchopexpress

I thought the 6.2 is only available with the 6 speed transmission is the 10 speed and option.
Fairly certain it is. I think it depends on your trim level or 4wd.

Edit: from a Google search, "The six-speed remains; it's the only transmission available on the base F-250 with the standard 6.2-liter V-8. Opt for either of the alternative engines or bump up to an F-350 or above, and you get the 10-speed automatic as standard."
So 6.2 F350 gets a 10 speed. Also, I confirmed it on the Ford build your own website.

Last edited:

ScottPC

Edit: from a Google search, "The six-speed remains; it's the only transmission available on the base F-250 with the standard 6.2-liter V-8. Opt for either of the alternative engines or bump up to an F-350 or above, and you get the 10-speed automatic as standard."
So 6.2 F350 gets a 10 speed.
Interesting....I would think that's a really useful option for the 6.2.

ScottPC

So 6.2 F350 gets a 10 speed. Also, I confirmed it on the Ford build your own website.
Do you think there would be any significant differences in offroad situations between the 6.2 and 7.3 with the same 10 speed transmission? It looks like the 7.3 optimizes low end torque while the 6.2's torque is more in the mid range.

Porkchopexpress

I agree that either engine should work well off road. I chose the 7.3 because it was marketed by ford as an alternative to diesels for fleet vehicles. Traditionally fleet truck buyers went with diesel because they were cheaper to maintain and lasted longer than gasoline. With new emission regulations and higher prices, more fleets are buying gas so the 7.3 was designed with longevity and ease of maintenance as priorities.

plumber mike

Adventurer
You mentioned serviceability in other areas. That would be the same for all the trucks. Oil. Tires. Etc.
But what about diagnosis and repair?
The electronics on the newer stuff makes everything tough to diagnose in the bush. Either bring your own diagnostic gear or run what the locals run.
For that reason, I’d probably do the 6.2/6spd for international travel ( I’m actually working on a 1990 Dodge Pickup to ride off into the sunset. Not because it’s a better vehicle, but because it’s technology needs to be at or below my skill level)
For my serenity, I chose the 7.3 to run around the US. It has the most familiar torque delivery when compared to other gas engines I’ve liked. If you were an 8.1 fan mourning.....the 7.3 is probably your new engine.
I’ve personally had some quality issues with Ram. Between my own experience and the stories of others, I’d pass on that.
I’ve not heard enough about the new GM 6.6 gasser. I would be curious to hear why it didn’t make the list....aside from looks ;-). I would consider a late model 6.0/6spd GM. They’ve been fairly reliable for us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles