Gasket set and bearings help...

hardwaregrrl

Ignore list
Hello all.....I'm starting to order parts for my engine rebuild and am having a hell of time finding quality parts. I need a full gasket set, already got Mitsu head gaskets from Marco. But I also need standard size rings, rod bearing, main bearing (crank) and thrust bearings and this ******** isn't available by Mitsubishi any longer. I was trying to locate some Clevite 77 bearings but so far can't even get a part #. Not sure if Kings are any good or DNJ. The DNJ gasket kit is the only thing I've found worth a ********. So any info, part #'s, sites, the good and the bad advice genuinely appreciated.

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
I have used the DNJ intake gasket set, they are good quality steel. Fel-Pro seem to have some issues and some of the Mahle sets are now made by Fel-pro.

PartSouq should have some of the gaskets. PartSouq I ordered exhaust and intake manifold ones last year. They do not have the complete sets in stock, but they have the individual ones.
RockAuto looks like it has an ITM gasket kit for the 3.8L motor.
Be sure to check that the vehicle is correct on those sites.

I have not replaced engine bearings, so I don't know a good source for those.

hardwaregrrl

Ignore list
I have used the DNJ intake gasket set, they are good quality steel. Fel-Pro seem to have some issues and some of the Mahle sets are now made by Fel-pro.

PartSouq should have some of the gaskets. PartSouq I ordered exhaust and intake manifold ones last year. They do not have the complete sets in stock, but they have the individual ones.
RockAuto looks like it has an ITM gasket kit for the 3.8L motor.
Be sure to check that the vehicle is correct on those sites.

I have not replaced engine bearings, so I don't know a good source for those.
Thanks. Good to hear someone that has seen the DNJ stuff. I was looking for Ajusa or Mitsu but I can't wait a month unfortunately its my DD. I'd be a hell of a lot more worried if it was a turbo....

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I haven’t used DNJ for anything Mitsubishi, but I have used them for a few GM builds. I would say overall mixed quality. If I recall correctly, the last complete kit I picked up had the wrong timing chain, some gaskets were trash, some were awesome, cam bearings weren’t great but a different set was cheap. I remember breaking a compression ring and having to reuse the best looking old one, but I think that was my fault for dropping a piston into the box. Overall decent value for the cost, pick and choose what you use out of the set and it is cheap enough that upgrading a few critical items doesn’t break the bank.
Bottom Line: it can make an engine run.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
When rebuilding the top end of my 3.5L I used this OEM gasket kit (MD977868).
I don't recall having to order any additional gaskets or seals to complete the job.
Hope this helps...
Cheers

hardwaregrrl

Ignore list
I haven’t used DNJ for anything Mitsubishi, but I have used them for a few GM builds. I would say overall mixed quality. If I recall correctly, the last complete kit I picked up had the wrong timing chain, some gaskets were trash, some were awesome, cam bearings weren’t great but a different set was cheap. I remember breaking a compression ring and having to reuse the best looking old one, but I think that was my fault for dropping a piston into the box. Overall decent value for the cost, pick and choose what you use out of the set and it is cheap enough that upgrading a few critical items doesn’t break the bank.
Bottom Line: it can make an engine run.
Esh....I’ve found mitsu gaskets sets but they’re an arm and a leg, which I’d happily pay for but shipping will put it a month out. I just can’t wait that long. I may order a Ajusa top end set jic. I was hoping to use their full set but I couldn’t find one.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I don’t know your particular engine, but outside of front/rear main seals, fuel injection o-rings, some intake gaskets and head gaskets, there is very little in an engine that can’t be better sealed with a tube of permatex right stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne