Gas Sprinter owners?

zuren

Adventurer
As I do more research on existing van platforms for my next rig, I'm weighing the Ford Transit vs. the gas Sprinter, 2WD, both probably in a Crew configuration that would be modified later. Are there any owners here that can comment on their ownership experience? I'm talking about driving experience, MPGs, etc.

The published MPG numbers for the Sprinter 2.0L diesel look good, but I'm not sure that a diesel (in general) is the best choice for my situation. I work from home and many trips are short errands with occasional longer trips. I read that this is not the best use of a diesel in general, and especially not modern diesels that need enough time to regenerate. Is this an accurate summary?

Unless something changes in my understanding, I think a gasoline van is my target.

Thanks!

Antelope

I have a 2020 crew 144 with the gas engine. I bought in March and did a light weight weekend build at 6400lbs dry. Just back from a 7k mile cross country trip. The gas engine is a great pair with the 9 speed. Plenty of power up mountain passes we crossed many mountain passes visiting Colorado and never wanted for power. Maybe downshifted once or twice. Around town it’s peppy for a van. I average 18-22mpg, high winds and high speed days can cause a hit but expected with the high top. I’ve seen as low as 14 and as high as 26 but seem to average in that 18-22. Our use sounds similar to yours with a mix short trips and a few longer ones each year I knew a diesel would not be great for our use. As far as traction so far it’s handled forest service roads fine and has pulled my boat out of moderately steep and slippery boat ramps no problem. We are really happy with our van.

zuren

Adventurer
I have a 2020 crew 144 with the gas engine. I bought in March and did a light weight weekend build at 6400lbs dry. Just back from a 7k mile cross country trip. The gas engine is a great pair with the 9 speed. Plenty of power up mountain passes we crossed many mountain passes visiting Colorado and never wanted for power. Maybe downshifted once or twice. Around town it’s peppy for a van. I average 18-22mpg, high winds and high speed days can cause a hit but expected with the high top. I’ve seen as low as 14 and as high as 26 but seem to average in that 18-22. Our use sounds similar to yours with a mix short trips and a few longer ones each year I knew a diesel would not be great for our use. As far as traction so far it’s handled forest service roads fine and has pulled my boat out of moderately steep and slippery boat ramps no problem. We are really happy with our van.

This is awesome information, thank you! It seems that you may be the only person here with a gas Sprinter!? I might PM you as well, but for the sake of the community, how has the maintenance been over your 1+ years of ownership? I hear a few horror stories around the diesel Sprinters, and many people try to get rid of them before 100,000 mi. I tend to keep my vehicles forever (my current VW Passat is going on 16 yrs.), so I'm looking at this as a longtime purchase.

Your MPG numbers are very agreeable. I've read that the 4x4 versions of a Sprinter or Transit with a light build get high teens at best. If I can flirt with low-to-mid 20s with a light build, the wife will be onboard with this idea!

Question - Does the Sprinter Crew have a 2nd row airbag(s) like the Transit Crew? I have not been able to confirm that online.

Thank you again!

Last edited:

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
I have a 2015 Sprinter diesel 144 lifted on 35s - runs awesome. We are not shy about taking it places - in fact we passed a group of fully kitted overlanders on some nasty 'roads' along the Lost Coast and were usually greated with a look of surprise and shock when we drove past.

Between my buddies and I, zero emissions or engine issues. A few other things from time to time(nor more or less than any other vehicle) overall, an awesome ride.

RE diesel in a sprinter - there is no way I would want a gas motor in the van. Mine is kissing 9k#. The compression breaking a low end torque is awesome. I've driven the gas versions - and while I love the transmission, I'm really glad I have a diesel.

And yes, the gas shifted did shift, a lot - in the mountains - more so than the diesel (since it has 4 more gears). It likes/needs to rev to keep speed up long grades.

Low speed rough roads, long mountain grades in a gas ride with such a heavy vehicle - been there, done that...and it's no fun. Don't be afraid of the diesel if you can afford it and find a nicely kept one.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Antelope

Zuren,
The sprinter does not have air bags in the rear like a transit. They are one of the things that drove me away from the transit as they make converting it a real pain as they extend past the windows and down pretty low so it makes it really tricky to convert a transit crew and keep the bags functional and safe while adding beds, cabinets ect. The sprinters metal work appears way more burly and my kid sits in the middle so I think thats a fair tradeoff. I"m more concerned with always making sure everything is properly secured.

Can't speak macitence as I just have not owned it long enough. From friends and local sprinter owners I've been warned no matter what brand, MB, Ford, or Dodge, there's not a ton of techs for them at service centers and your competing for time with fleets so unless your Mr Bezos they'll help but you might not be the first rig they get in.

I tend to keep my rigs for about 8 years we'll see how the first 5 go with the warranty and go from there. There's a bunch of gas sprinter owners over on the sprinter source and one expediter already has 189K engine has been trouble free, he blew the torque converter early on under warranty. The metris vans with same motors seem proving reliable with the exception of a PVC valve getting clogged which would be no biggie but in true German fashion it is over engineered and is a $1200 part. Not a deal breaker if's once every 100K as I'm not a high milage user. Have not heard of it yet on the sprinters and they run a different tune so maybe the problem has been corrected. Time will tell.

Good Luck with your van search!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94