Gas or propane what do you like better?

Boatbuilder79

I always used white gas stuff as a kid but recently got a 2 burner propane stove to replace my old 2 burner white gas stove.

Now I have some propane stuff and some white gas stuff in my camping kit.

I want to simplify to one type of fuel for my next camping trip.

Should I get another 2 burner white gas stove or should I get some propane lanterns?

I just put regular gas in all my old camping stuff so it was nice to have my truck, boat, lantern, stove and chainsaw all run off the same fuel.

I also hAte seeing the green cans in the trash but propane stuff is easier to use and I like my propane heater and I refill the cans.

What do you think? Gas or propane?

krick3tt

Adventurer
If you refill the propane cans you might have a great alternative to just the regular gas. I am somewhat nervous about doing that.

I have been using a propane stove and battery operated lantern for years. Still have a double burner propane stove and a single burner propane stove to make just coffee and just recently got a small Coleman single burner stove. Trying them out too see which I prefer.
I got a Coleman lantern at a thrift shop for $6 so I am now invested in a very bright lantern that will almost blind me and it has a reflector as well. Really like it.

I like both fuel systems and also use a propane campfire in a can as there are burn bans almost everywhere I go, hardly find a place to have a real wood fire anymore. Have two 11 pound tanks that will work for both the fire and the stove.

Difficult to choose one over the other so I see your dilemma. I am now also experimenting with choosing a single system.

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
I use propane for car camping and campfire... LED's for lanterns and headlamps... both battery and rechargeable....with the propane being stored outside of the vehicle...
I use white gas for winter camping and climbs.... and rather carry the stove while someone else carries the liquid gas...

Last edited:

Boatbuilder79

I like the gas Coleman Lanterns a lot but I just use regular gas in them. They will work ok with 2stroke mixed outboard or chainsaw gas too but get sooted up a little.

I have a milkcrate with 4 of them but My wife refuses to touch them.

ottsville

Observer
Both, depending on the situation. My double burner stove is propane, but I instead use a gasoline single burner in some situations. Although I have both propane and gas Coleman lanterns, I don't like them for offroad travel or long trips in the camper because the mantles almost always disintegrate. Headlamps, led lights, and luci lanterns are what we mostly use.

As far as green propane cylinders, my last National Park trip I pulled a dozen of them out of a recycling bin and refill them. I also have bulk adapters and an 11lb tank that also see usage.

Boatbuilder79

How do you keep them from leaking when you refill the green cans? Do the caps amazon sells work?

They usually leak a little when I refill them so I always use them as soon as I refill. It's not bat at home where I can put the empties in my chest freezer but I have to take my bulk tank with me when I go anywhere and it's hard to get them full without a freezer.

comptiger5000

Adventurer
Personally, for stove use, I don't bother with the 1lb green propane bottles. I carry one of the small 5lb propane tanks instead. The tank is a lot more stable than the cans when standing and it's still pretty small / light / easy to carry around. Plus, any propane place can refill it.

ottsville

Observer
How do you keep them from leaking when you refill the green cans? Do the caps amazon sells work?

They usually leak a little when I refill them so I always use them as soon as I refill. It's not bat at home where I can put the empties in my chest freezer but I have to take my bulk tank with me when I go anywhere and it's hard to get them full without a freezer.

I haven't had problems with them leaking for the most part. Make sure everything is clean. I remember one leaking and I just tossed it.

Kevin108

Explorer
I prefer white gas for lanterns but I'm slowly collecting a bit of propane now: torch, Zodi shower, and a new compact Coleman grill.

Boatbuilder79

My wife was giving me heck about the camping gear pile in my garage

I have the The 2 burner propane stove
My old peak 1 gas stove and an old svea stove.

My gas 2 burner Coleman stove rusted out and I was worried that I would have too many stoves if I replace it but I am not so worried after reading your post.

CampStewart

Observer
For me tradition has some meaning. I grew up with Coleman gas equipment and the routine of their operation is something that brings back memories and traditions going back generations of campers. On the other hand there are those who must be on the cusp of the latest trends. status, and styles. Beyond that they both have their pluses and minuses which are about equal and the end result is hot food and light. Propane also takes up much more storage space and has issues in cold weather.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
For me; I vastly prefer propane for cooking on 2 burner stoves, the single burner is still white gas.
I got rid of the fueled lighting long ago (can't stand the glare and hassle of mantles) in favor of LED lighting ... HUGE improvement; never looked back.

Steve_P

As far as cooking goes, white gas stoves generate more heat than the average propane stove so they're better for boiling and cooking in low temps or at high elevations. For lights, we've pretty much switched over to led lanterns.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
Personally I feel propane is safer. You can’t really “Spill” propane. But you can (and I have), spilled white gas and created a pretty decent fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I run the older Coleman 425E white gas stoves. Beyond simply being better built than the newer stuff, they have a better range of temperature control and cook much better at lower temps than propane, which is where I tend to cook most of my food when camping (i.e. steaks). I have a Stansport generator conversion for propane use on the stove and I occasionally use that with both 1lb bottles and the 5lb tank. If the lady friend comes along then coffee in the morning is a must and I use my Solo Stove (alcohol stove) to quickly heat the water for the Aero Press.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior