GAS MILAGE

billiebob

New to me 2006 TJR in October. Waayyy fewer kilometers tha the 2005, 105K vs 400K and I was thinking it was getting better mileage too. Apart from new, the tires are 7.50 wide instead of 10.50, 31 tall instead of 33, and 8 pounds lighter each. Yesterday I put on 600kms, and I aimed to get the best mileage I could..... so with a Jeep that means never go over 100kph.

First 170kms I stayed at about 80kph and burned 14L of gas...... A short run??? seems way to optomistic. The next 430kms I stayed between 85 and 95. 48L. This is a run to my sons, Revelstoke to Calgary, I do it often and I've never made it without a gas stop but I alway did the Alberta speed limit, 120 to 130.

Overall 22MPG. 10.5L/100 for anyone who understands metric. 800 miles, 1300 kms, mostly highway but a bit of city too.

I'm converted. After 50 years of travelling at warp speed I think I'll settle down to the pace of all the old farts. I found at 95 between Banff and Calgary I was not even the slowest old codger out there.

Even 12L/100 at 95 gives me a 600km range..... unheard of in a Rubicon. And I know the big change before slowing down was much lighter tires, reduced mass. Add up sane driving tactics plus practical tires and you won't need a jerry can.

Last edited:

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
When I drove from Alaska to Argentina I drove my little TJ between about 80 and 100km/h day in and day out, and every single tank was 20mpg (11.7L/100) without fail.

Spending less on gas is a big priority for me!

-Dan

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
Interesting. I just put my LJ-R back on the road in May. Took it to the Bantam Jeep festival on the other side of PA. Put 1000 miles on it in 4 days. Driving at 70-80mph with the A/C on, stock 4.10s with 255/85s on the Moabs, I got 16-17mpg on the way out and back. If I dropped the speed to 60mpg (100kph) I would likely see the same mpg as Dan. I agree, patience (and lower speeds) has its rewards.

Edit: My LJ has the 6 speed manual.

Zeep

Adventurer
Interesting. I just put my LJ-R back on the road in May. Took it to the Bantam Jeep festival on the other side of PA. Put 1000 miles on it in 4 days. Driving at 70-80mph with the A/C on, stock 4.10s with 255/85s on the Moabs, I got 16-17mpg on the way out and back. If I dropped the speed to 60mpg (100kph) I would likely see the same mpg as Dan. I agree, patience (and lower speeds) has its rewards.

Edit: My LJ has the 6 speed manual.
I'm running the same rig, same set-up. I only achieve about 13 mpg. Can't help but wonder if, when I replaced the OPDA, that I am off by 1 tooth?
When time allows, I will set to spec, per the service manual.

roving1

Non ethanol fuel? The only time I ever got north of 20MPG out of any 4.0 I ever owned was at altitude and with non-ethanol fuel. Thick air and ethanol even my stock Cherokee pioneer with little car tires never got North of 20.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
Well, my 2006 TJR has only 48,000 miles on it. Fueling data is entered into an Excel spreadsheet which tells me that overall the Jeep has averaged 16.3 mpg. Never got close to 20 mpg on any of the tanks, and mine wore "Pizza cutter" skinny tires - LT255/85R16 tires all that time. Not very many highway miles on the Jeep because there aren't very many highways where I live - but when I am on the highway I set the cruise to whatever the speed limit is.

billiebob

please stay out of Montana LOL. We have plenty of two lane roads that have 70mph speed limits with people waddling along at 50mph without the common sense to pull over to let the string of cars behind them pass.
I never block traffic in fact if I see a semi or logger coming up, I pull over before hes on my bumper. Idiots in cars, hey if they can't figure out how to pass an old fart doin' 55....... well they should not be driving.

jadmt

ignore button user
I never block traffic in fact if I see a semi or logger coming up, I pull over before hes on my bumper. Idiots in cars, hey if they can't figure out how to pass an old fart doin' 55....... well they should not be driving.
Well unfortunately they are often obeying the double yellow lines and not legal to pass. Me I pass on double yellows and throw beer bottles at the slow drivers but I'm a red neck born and raised

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
I'm running the same rig, same set-up. I only achieve about 13 mpg. Can't help but wonder if, when I replaced the OPDA, that I am off by 1 tooth?
When time allows, I will set to spec, per the service manual.

If the OPDA was off a tooth you should be throwing a code at least.

Just filled up again today - ~355 miles on 22.75 gallons into the Safari tank = ~15.6mpg. Pretty much average.

I have no roof rack on my LJ yet. I think that and the RTT will make a bigger impact on mpg vs mph on the highway.

pittsburgh

tacocat
If the OPDA was off a tooth you should be throwing a code at least.

Just filled up again today - ~355 miles on 22.75 gallons into the Safari tank = ~15.6mpg. Pretty much average.

I have no roof rack on my LJ yet. I think that and the RTT will make a bigger impact on mpg vs mph on the highway.

Jim,

As someone who has bounced between CO and PA for the past 20+ years. I always get my worst mileage in PA, the roads don't flow and too many hills lol.

I feel like youo be able to get better MPGs when road tripping out of state. I reccomend a test drive to Moab.

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
Jim,

As someone who has bounced between CO and PA for the past 20+ years. I always get my worst mileage in PA, the roads don't flow and too many hills lol.

I feel like youo be able to get better MPGs when road tripping out of state. I reccomend a test drive to Moab.

Thanks for the recommendation. :D I plan on it.

The roads in PA are why I have motorcycles. But I agree the terrain does not lend itself to steady-state cruise conditions. I am curious to see what I will get crossing the plains.

WOODY2

Adventurer
Thanks for the recommendation. :D I plan on it.

The roads in PA are why I have motorcycles. But I agree the terrain does not lend itself to steady-state cruise conditions. I am curious to see what I will get crossing the plains.
Just wait till you buck a hard headwind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles