Gas can storage

nucktaco

Adventurer
So I’ve got a 2008 tacoma. Picked up a free canopy for it and am working on a rack to go around it to hold my roof tent. Already have solar mounted to roof of cab. I have a few trips coming up where I need at least 80 litres of extra fuel. My only real option is inside the canopy. Canopy is just for storage so was thinking of trying to add a vent to the roof of the canopy to help with letting out any built up gas vapors. Any suggestions?

I don’t have the room on the roof, don’t have the ability at this point to purchase 4 5gallon rotopax cans to hang off the side.

inside the canopy will just be storage for bedding, fridge, other camp gear and I’m Not planning on sleeping in there.

pluton

Adventurer
The old-fashioned European-made metal jerrycans leak the least vapors, but still a tiny bit comes out. I'd find a way to ventilate the canopy area. Does it have windows that can open? I'd surely not want my clothes or bedding to stink of gas.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Why are you using leaking cans? Fix that excrement. Should not be any trouble at all to transport them inside the vehicle.

what kind of cans do you have and are there replacement gaskets available for them?

nucktaco

Adventurer
honestly maybe was just overthinking it. my jerry cans dont leak. just was worried about potential vapors building up. i guess if they are sealed it should be a non-issue.

summer conditions up here are quite dusty so wanted to stay away from leaving a slider window open. was thinking a small roof vent with a filter or something if anything.

1stDeuce

Explorer
I don't think you have much to worry about. I carry gas inside my topper all the time with no fumes or other issues. Just make sure you strap the cans down so they can't bang around, and don't use leaking garbage cans.

FWIW, I also mounted a Thule rack right to the topper and I run my RTT on that. Zero issues with a decent fiberglass topper, regardless of what most keyboard adventurers will tell you. :)

old .45

Observer
I have been carrying a 2.5 gal. nato can inside my topper for at least 5 years now no leaks whatsoever...... winter spring summer and fall ... no problem and yes I have spent many nights sleeping inside my topper and have never smelled any gas odors.....on me, clothing or bedding.

sturgillk

Observer
The problem is after you use the cans, you might get enough splashed/dribbled/spilled gasoline around the spout to notice a smell. I take extra garbage bags with me and put the cans inside of them if that happens.

billiebob

So I’ve got a 2008 tacoma. Picked up a free canopy for it and am working on a rack to go around it to hold my roof tent. Already have solar mounted to roof of cab. I have a few trips coming up where I need at least 80 litres of extra fuel. My only real option is inside the canopy. Canopy is just for storage so was thinking of trying to add a vent to the roof of the canopy to help with letting out any built up gas vapors. Any suggestions?

I don’t have the room on the roof, don’t have the ability at this point to purchase 4 5gallon rotopax cans to hang off the side.

inside the canopy will just be storage for bedding, fridge, other camp gear and I’m Not planning on sleeping in there.
adapt a swing out tire carrier
or a hitch shelf

OIP.Fu0mpSBCdnLtb0yP0UvWqQHaFj.jpeg

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
mrg-36953g_at_ml.jpg

Summit racing. Don't leak if you keep them upright.

Superduty

Adventurer
Scepter MFCs - they don't leak (assuming the seal under the cap is good shape). You can put them in the cab with you (not recommended) and so long as they are tightly shut you wont smell them.

Louisd75

Adventurer
adapt a swing out tire carrier
or a hitch shelf

View attachment 585677
Must admit, after 10 years on a fire department I grew shy of carrying gas containers and this incident in BC brings back that resolve to not do it.

I think your suggestions are contradictory :) And I'm also shocked that you guys have road rage up there. Where they at least apologetic while they were cutting each other off and flipping the finger?

billiebob

I think your suggestions are contradictory :) And I'm also shocked that you guys have road rage up there. Where they at least apologetic while they were cutting each other off and flipping the finger?
Agreed, trying to be proactive with the exterior carrier comment, then the news reminds me, hey who needs an extra 20 gallons of fuel? And if you do, look at a replacement tank plus auxiliary tank OR BUY the vehicle with the range you need.

But unless you are on an African or Asian expedition, if you are camping in North America, why do you need an extra 20 gallons of gas. I suggest the OP tell us where he is going, there might be refueling options.

On the road rage thing I agree, we usually smile as we flip the bird.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94