Gas can kill.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
I also have a 5lb propane cylinder on the side of my trailer.
What's the word on propane cylinders getting hit?

Thousands of older RV’s on the roads every single day, hauling azz down all those potentially dangerous stretches of dark pavement, with their big full propane tanks set to wide open to run their frigerators. Don’t read headlines too often about them being rolling, flaming death stars, do ya?

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I've thrown Scepter 5 gal plastic fuel cans out of a helicopter to the ground without them failing. I've seen them fall out of trucks without failing. I'm not the least bit worried about them failing in a rollover. At most they'll be scattered with other gear, the least of my worries.

85_Ranger4x4

Most older i.e. pre-2000 era rigs have no way to stop fuel from running out on a rollover, some have fuel pump shutoff switches for oil pressure or inertia but that didn't stop fuel from coming out in a rollover so why the big worry about externally mounted cans?

Most things from the 80's (maybe older) has rollover valves for the vent. Most fuel pickups draw from the bottom of the tank so if you have a half full tank before the wreck it will be a half empty tank when you are upside down and you will only have the fuel in lines/carb to bleed out as the pickup will be out of the fuel.

vwhammer

Adventurer
I guess the real question is how many people with all these fuel cans strapped any and everywhere have actually had to use them?
I plan to add a small tank (4-5 gal) under my van to combine with the stock tank to net me about 20 gallons, which should equate to about 400 miles.
Heck the Dalton highway is only 414 miles long.
I have no intentions of carrying any extra cans anywhere else.

At this point those cans have turned into the hey-look-I-do-overlanding pieces much like the highlift jack.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Don't quite understand the OP's point in starting this thread.

Are you asking a question? Are you offering a solution?

Or are you just here to stir the pot? :rolleyes:

If it's the latter, I'll bite:

"Safety" is ALWAYS a compromise. Like the photo above of the LRDG Jeeps. Those guys (the forerunners of today's Special Air Service) weren't dummies. They knew gas was explosive.

In terms of travel (especially in remote areas) you have to weigh the danger of carrying fuel against the danger of running out of fuel. Both can kill you.

Really, the "safest" thing to do is to stay home. But "safety" has to be balanced against other needs.

gatorgrizz27

I’m not a fan of jerry cans primarily because I don’t like stuff strapped all over my vehicle, I prefer to keep it streamlined. However, there are times where it’s the best option, but I’m still looking for a way to get enough underneath onboard storage.

I’ve rolled vehicles before and had gas pouring out, it’s a good motivator to get the hell out of there.

If you’re super paranoid about carrying gas in cans, you can always just empty them into your main tank as soon as you’ve got the room to. Obviously this makes refueling more complicated, and doesn’t help in the event of a punctured main fuel tank, but it’s a good option if you know that you’ll likely need to use them on your route anyways.

Last edited:

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I've found Death Valley, the Mojave, and El Camino del Diablo to not be good places to run out of gas.
I guess the real question is how many people with all these fuel cans strapped any and everywhere have actually had to use them?
I plan to add a small tank (4-5 gal) under my van to combine with the stock tank to net me about 20 gallons, which should equate to about 400 miles.
Heck the Dalton highway is only 414 miles long.
I have no intentions of carrying any extra cans anywhere else.

At this point those cans have turned into the hey-look-I-do-overlanding pieces much like the highlift jack.

rnArmy

Adventurer
Depending on your vehicle, there are companies that make larger "factory" tanks or auxiliary gas tanks you can add-on.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
All of this stuff might be pushing some folks here more strongly towards hoping that the promise of electric trucks pans out sooner than later...

Mike W.

LOL, then instead of worrying about being passed by Ebikes people will try and figure out how to get charging stations in Death Valley..I will take my chances wire leaking gas cans..

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Please plot the easily accessible gas stations along the Mojave Road.
I know that among a website of travelers I'm not anywhere close to the most traveled but I've been around a bit and it's really, really rare for me to plan a trip inside the USA that even calls for extra fuel. For the rare trip that might call for stretching things, it wouldn't be difficult to start the trip with an empty can (less weight, too) and only fill it when I begin the dry stretch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz