Gas can kill.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
So when I look at all the off road incidents that occur.....and injuries that result....
Fuel spill resulting burns/deaths are so low on the list to not change my rear bumper carrier.

So many other thing much more likely to cause injury off highway

HSSC

Last thing I want is the government involved. Never would advocate that. They put the screws to diesel. Alot safer fuel.

Governments only role in my eyes is to protect the sovereignty of this country.

Sadly there are too many who want to babysit cradle to grave.

I'm only speaking to fellow enthusiasts. And very pleased we are bringing new people into the offroad world. We need voters to keep our trails open.

?

Mike W.

If I roll I'm going to be more concerned with the 20 gallons in the tank than the 5 on the roof..but then again I'm not really prone to worrying about what might happen..

Kevin108

Explorer
I've owned a pickup that had the entire gas tank behind the seat. 5 gallons hung over the rear tail light will not be the end of me. Go worry somewhere else.

HSSC

I don't give a rat's ass where you carry your fricking gas.

Worrying, oh, ok. Sorry, I'll stop.

I have a boat load of fords with the stupid fuel tank behind the seat. The 66 4x4 stepside in my fleet is destined to be a daily driver/quickie OVERLAND run about/ 4x4 forerunner. Will that tank remain? AH,OH,UH,DA,?....... That's a good one to worry about ?

I was thinking about putting the fuel tank on the hood of the truck.... ya that's it, like a hood ornament.?? I could rattle can an arrow on it ⬅️ pointing the way forward.

But of course, being the safety first kind of guy I am, I'd put stickers on it telling everyone to stay 300 ft. away, dangerous gasoline. Just think, I'd have my own lane on the freeway. How great is that.?

chet6.7

Explorer
Agreed. After surviving a very severe rear ending yrs ago I still look in my rear view mirror to this day. If a gas can had been hanging off the rear I can't imagine the consequences.
I remember reading a case of a guy that got rear ended in his jeep with fuel cans on a carrier.He and his dog went up in flames. I have noticed that the carriers of today are mount the cans higher then they were back then.

Alloy

My friend was crossing the border on Wednesday. A SUV ahead of him was opened up that had 3 Jerry cans in the back and was sent into secondary . He had 3 Jerry cans tied down in the back of his pick up so he thought he was going into secondary as well but didn't have to. Comment was made about what happened at Blaine and transporting fuel in a way that may result in a fire if the vehicle is rear ended.

I was in traffic next to a car with 5 Jerry cans in a bike carrier hanging off the back bumper. That pissed me off. Stupid people may kill themselves but they shouln'd take incocent people with them.

rnArmy

Adventurer
I carry a 5-gallon Jerry can on my swing-away rear bumper, two 2.5 gallon jerry cans on my trailer (one on each side), and one 4 gallon Kolpin fuel cell on the front of my trailer (all usually empty unless I'm off-road overlanding or way out there where getting gas might be iffy). Gotta put it somewhere. I also have a 5lb propane cylinder on the side of my trailer.

What's the word on propane cylinders getting hit?

Attachments

• arctic prerun.2.jpg
    arctic prerun.2.jpg
    918.5 KB · Views: 49
  • Arctic Trip.1 (2).jpg
    Arctic Trip.1 (2).jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 47

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
I've owned a pickup that had the entire gas tank behind the seat. 5 gallons hung over the rear tail light will not be the end of me. Go worry somewhere else.

Yup. My old regular cab 1972 F-100.....big old gas tank right there inside the cab squeezed in upright behind the bench seat, filler neck venting fumes on hot days sitting perched immediately outside and right up behind the edge of the driver’s window. Even set the loose burlap on the back of the bench seat (laying right up there against that big old gas tank) on fire one day, with a poorly flicked ciggy ash that the wind blew right back inside the cab and set that dry woven fabric to burning. Didn’t even notice that lit stick of dynamite it until flames and smoke started coming rolling up right over the top of that seat. Still on this earth today to tell about it tho, so...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles