"Gary Busy" E350 Skoolie Conversion and Round the World Trip

californiay

Hi All!

Long time fan of the site! My wife and I are prepping for a two year around the world trip with a target departure around the election this year. I'm in the middle of our build and I thought there might be a few people on the site that would be interested. Eventually I'm hoping to get a website started and follow in the steps of folks like Dan Grec, but hey, we need to start somewhere so here's our first post. I hope to hear from you!

The Route:

We are based in San Francisco right now. Our plan is to ship from the East Coast, most likely Jacksonville, down to Durban sometime in November. From there we are planning on touring most of southern Africa before taking the eastern route up Egypt. From there, we will head to Jordan and Israel, and then ship to Italy around Christmas 2021. After some R&R in Europe, we are going to be heading East through Turkey, the Caucuses, Central Asia and the "Stans", and eventually winding up in Kashgar, China. I can't wait for all the China transit fun..... From there, we're going to cross the Karakoram Highway into Pakistan before generally following the southern side of the Himalayas down into South East Asia. We will ship the vehicle back from either Singapore or Kuala Lampur I think, but that's a few years out so we'll see out things go.

2020 Trip Route.JPG

The Vehicle:

We were lucky enough to actually snag a 1998 Ford E350 7.3L Cutaway with a School Bus Body from a fellow member in April 2019. They had picked it up from from a daycare and converted it to a more expedition ready vehicle. Probably the biggest highlight is that he had gotten the Ujoint 4x4 conversion installed, so it came ready to go with 35" MT Tires and a host of other upgrades. He had already done a lot of mechanical restoration too, with new injectors and glow plugs and a new transmission. The 7.3L is a legend for reliability and more importantly, it won't have issues with high sulphur diesel in developing nations. It's also got more headroom than your standard E350 Van without needing a pop top, and it's 78" wide so you can set the bed up cross wise, which I couldn't have done in a 72" van. I drove it across the country twice and it was a great set up for the summer. But I always intended on gutting it and making it a little more liveable for a two year home, so last fall I ripped out the interior down to the bare metal and have been restoring it since. Here are a few pictures of the before.

57720917646__84A584DC-CD5C-4339-A544-32FAFB151431.jpgIMG_8050.jpgIMG_9909.jpgIMG_9910.jpg

It was pretty sweet when I got it, but did have some issues. At the top of that list, the "roof deck" and exoskeleton you see in the pictures was unfortunately not made very well. I think the prior owner did the welds himself when he was apprenticing for a blacksmith shop. They didn't penetrate all the way through, and that rear tire carrier actually failed on me on highway 101 at 65 miles an hour. Fortunately, it didn't hit anything and just flew into a deep ravine, never to be seen again. But I can promise you, losing a tire on a freeway is not a good thing. I'm just glad it didn't kill or injure anyone.

Anyways, I'm part way through a completely custom build right now, and will be updating this regularly as I move through it. I have to run out the door at the moment, but I hope you all enjoy it. It's been a great project so far.

Best,

Reid

californiay

Happy Friday everyone! I'll jump right back into it.

The first thing major project I decided to tackle was removing the the old roof deck. I don't know how to weld, so I had to bring in some help from a metal fabricator. Fortunately, BAR ranch equipment down in Williston, FL was able to help. Why Williston? I've actually been building a small 4 seat aircraft with my dad down there. That's why I drove across the country twice. It's about half as expensive to get any work done down there compared to San Francisco, so I had them cut off the old one and fabricate a new roof deck and bumper. I drew everything out, handed it over and they ran with it. Unfortunately I don't have too many pics from this stage, but here's what I drew for the bumper some pics of prepping the wood.

IMG_8804.jpgIMG_9012.jpgIMG_9007.jpgIMG_9013.jpgIMG_9034.jpg

The wood was 1/2" redwood that I cut to size, sanded to 240 grit, then stained and sealed with Spar Urethane. It came out really nicely, although the spar varnish is something I'm probably going to need to refresh annually due to UV exposure and the elements. Here's the semi-finished product:
IMG_9053.jpg

Unfortunately I can't seem to find any pictures of the deck from before I installed the wood pieces. It's possible to barely make out one of the pieces of framing that run left to right underneath the deck. I really wanted to minimize height, so these 1.5" aluminum tubes were welded to the lower portion of the 3"x1.5" exterior aluminum tubing. With the 1/2" wood on top, you end up with a 1" lip around the whole thing. The wood decking was attached using special deck screws that are designed to mount wood decking into metal framing.

The old roof deck was attached to the vehicle's frame, so it would it shake when you went over bumps and sometimes contact the bus' body (torsional flex I think?). It was a real problem as highway speeds when you hit a bump. This time, I decided to bolt the roof deck to the vehicle's body through the steel C channel framing that makes up the bus' body. The holes were filled with caulk and 15k miles later I haven't had any trouble.

The front section is designed for two 350w LG Neon R solar panels. There's also a small gap between the front solar section and the rear deck that is designed to hold four removable corner posts to provide a roped railing for safety. You can see one of the receivers in the middle of the picture. There's a ladder up to the roof so it's pretty easy to get up there too. I finally was able to attach the solar panels a few weeks ago and here is the final result.

IMG_0851.jpg

Now that I'm a little further along, I'm thinking I'm going to attach some D rings to the decking area. Another thing to add to the to do list....

The bumper also came out great as well. Bar Ranch Equipment did a great job and the price was probably 30-40% less than buying an off the shelf component from someone like Aluminess. It was made out of 16 guage steel, powder coated, and bolted to the frame. Here's what it looked like right after it wrapped up.

59304119500__78A54671-BFC6-4E70-A0A7-90953471A91B.jpg

I think that's enough for this post, so I'll leave it there. Let me know if you have any questions and I'd be happy to help.

Have a great Friday people!

Reid

GHI

Adventurer
Can't wait to see the final product in action. Exciting stuff you have going on.

sg1

Adventurer
Interesting project and itinerary. One suggestion though. Try to ship to Port Elisabeth in South Africa instead of Durban. It is a much smaller port specializing in vehicles. There are 3 car manufacturers near Port Elizabeth. I shipped there twice and the whole procedure was super easy and efficient. Durban is supposed to be much more difficult and complicated.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Interesting project and itinerary. One suggestion though. Try to ship to Port Elisabeth in South Africa instead of Durban. It is a much smaller port specializing in vehicles. There are 3 car manufacturers near Port Elizabeth. I shipped there twice and the whole procedure was super easy and efficient. Durban is supposed to be much more difficult and complicated.

The other option, which avoids the need for a Carnet de Passage en Douane, is to ship to Mocambiqe and enter South Africa overland. May be much harder to find a RoRo shipper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier