Garmin Tread Overland Edition - any users yet?

DC DII

Subscription is for the InReach two-way communication feature only. No one is going to allow you to communicate (send and receive text messages) via satellites without paying for it! For just the GPS functions there is no subscription required, and that applies to any GPS unit, even the GPS included in your smart phone.

For that reason I will not purchase one

Agree with "deserteagle56" here -

Just to clarify there is no subscription to use the GPS as a GPS. This is just for the inReach aspect of the device.

I've used SPOT, inReach, satellite phones and personal beacon locators (PBL) and for two way satellite communicating all need a subscription. I think the personal beacon locators (PBL) do not but you only get SOS feature upon purchase which is really all they are designed for.

From Garmin's website:
"You’ll need an active satellite subscription to access the Iridium® satellite network for inReach device functionality, including tracking, messaging, weather forecasts and interactive SOS."

So, I am buying the GPS but not activating the inReach until I need it...if I ever need it.

So, no subscription upon purchase. Just going to use as a very large and modern GPS.

"Jeep or Tacoma" hope that sheds some light on things...

Erik

rsbmg

Observer
Might be resurrecting an older thread but for those that have used both the new Tread Overland XL and a tablet with Gaia, from an exploration perspective, meaning I'm traveling offroad and want to check trails I did not plan for or perhaps find an alternate trail it seems to me when looking at earthmate and Gaia side by side there is no comparison. Gaia clearly had way more trails and routes visible to use for on the fly navigation. Would that be everyone's consensus or perhaps I'm missing something. Seems like for pre-planned routes Garmin is great but for pure discovery Gaia.

DC DII

Might be resurrecting an older thread but for those that have used both the new Tread Overland XL and a tablet with Gaia, from an exploration perspective, meaning I'm traveling offroad and want to check trails I did not plan for or perhaps find an alternate trail it seems to me when looking at earthmate and Gaia side by side there is no comparison. Gaia clearly had way more trails and routes visible to use for on the fly navigation. Would that be everyone's consensus or perhaps I'm missing something. Seems like for pre-planned routes Garmin is great but for pure discovery Gaia.

I am wondering also.

I would guess people are going to state GAIA for exploring and Garmin for highway travel and simple needs.

I like the Overland XL for my needs and have yet to get much info from the folks who have the XL. We have been moving across country so have yet to purchase my Garmin...or done any camping.

I was very on the fence about the tablet/apps vs Garmin Overland XL.

Hope others with good experience can chime in...

Erik

deserteagle56

Adventurer
Did you install any good maps on the Tread? The maps it comes with do not show any of the more primitive roads and trails...that's why they're "free". Install some Garmin 100k maps, or the 24k maps for your region if you want to see the roads less traveled. Or download (free) the maps you need from gpsfiledepot.com....or any number of other sites.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior