Garmin Overlander

Obelisk

Part 2 - Garmin Overlander experience

Track recording / management?
  • The Overlander has a “Track Recorder” app, that has a Start and Stop toggle. When you Stop recording a track, you are provided 3 options:
    • Resume recording (start logging to the current track)
    • Save Track to Garmin Explore
    • Discard Track
  • In the Explore app -> Library -> Tracks, you can view a saved track elevation profile, follow it in the Drive app (not tested), and delete the track.
  • Track details include: Track map colour, Name, Date Started, Length, Distance to Start, Bearing
  • Track information such as number of track points, area, elevation statistics are missing.
  • You cannot create the reverse of a saved track.
  • There is no track archive function.
  • You cannot control if you want the track displayed on the map or not.
  • There is a “TracBack” app, but it appears to only work with the “Track Recorder” current track, not one that has been saved.
  • The outdoor models “Track Manager” is far more functional. ☹

Routing:
  • All calculated routes start at your current real-world location, which has negative ramifications if trying to plan future activity.
  • Routes are “managed” in the Explore app, and used by the Drive app.
  • A saved route that is not in use in the Drive app, is not calculated, so driving distance and time details are not available.
  • Route points can only be selected by scrolling and tapping on the map.
  • Routes are displayed on the map with straight-lines between points and a straight-line/as-the-crow-flies driving distance.
  • Route points cannot be selected by searching for a Waypoint, Point-of-Interest, or other item!?!
  • Explore app Routes can apparently contain 200 points. Is this an upgrade over an outdoor Garmin’s usual 50 point limit, or is this not comparable?
  • To repeat a point above, unlike a 20-year-old Garmin GPS V and the Garmin mapping handhelds since then, after selecting points on routable roads and saving a route, the Overlander will NOT calculate the driving distance and estimate driving time! ☹
  • If you “Start” the route in the Explorer app (to see it calculated), it transfers the route points to the Drive app, and selects your current physical position as the start of the route. Calculating all routes from the current location is not useful for planning future trips.
  • The “explore.garmin.com” web app is only slightly better regarding route planning. It appears to have the same general lack of functionality of the Overlander Explore app, with the exception you can search for Waypoints, etc., that you can then click on to add to a route. Importantly, the web app still does not provide driving distance and time calculations.
  • Route scheduling, as available in BaseCamp, does not appear to be possible.

BaseCamp and related:
  • Does the Overlander work with BaseCamp? Short answer, not really.
  • Longer answer:
    • With the Overlander plugged into a PC via USB, BaseCamp can use the maps on the Overlander.
    • HOWEVER, while it appears that you can manipulate some waypoints, routes and tracks stored on the Overlander with BaseCamp – this is a BAD idea!
    • After copying existing waypoints in BaseCamp onto the Overlander, the Overlander’s Drive app would no longer start. Deleting the waypoints fixed the issue.
    • Waypoints, Tracks and Routes can be exported from BaseCamp as gpx files. The gpx files can then be copied (via USB or memory card) onto the Overlander’s internal storage or stay on the memory card. The copied files can then be imported with the Explore app -> Library -> Import to Explore function.
    • The Overlander does not contain all the standard Garmin handheld Waypoint icons. For example, the Transportation “Ferry” icon is missing. The Overlander uses a “bus” icon to indicate a ferry terminal POI!?!
    • Regarding route creation and editing, with BaseCamp and laptop, without Internet, single multi-stage route and/or multiple routes can be planned out, prioritize distance, travel time, a or combination of the two, etc. BaseCamp created routes can also specify desired departure times, layovers and arrival times. Excluding route point scheduling, many Garmin handhelds can also facilitate long-trip route planning directly on the device and provide calculated driving distance, drive time and elevation change information for each route. After creating the route in BaseCamp or on a Garmin mapping handheld, it can be reversed; this cannot be done on the Overlander.
    • A reminder: Routes on the Overlander display as points connected by straight lines, with no calculated driving distance or time.
  • A BaseCamp calculated route can be converted to a Track, exported as a gpx file, then imported to the Overlander. However, this track obviously would not tolerate unplanned detours.
  • Exercise for Garmin automotive segment: Compare using just a Garmin Oregon or Montana with a Garmin Overlander, to create a route and calculate public road driving distance and driving time for the event “One Lap of America 2022”.
  • Why has BaseCamp not been updated to directly support the Overlander?

Bluetooth calling:
  • It is worth repeating that the “Ok Garmin” voice commands do not support placing calls with a Bluetooth connected phone.
  • Multiple phones can be paired to the Overlander, but if more than one paired phone is in proximity to the Overlander, selecting the preferred phone is a little fiddly. (Android Bluetooth controls)
  • Output volume from the Overlander’s speaker seems adequate for the majority of likely environments.
  • Hands-free microphone quality seems reasonable.
  • Also worth repeating, that Bluetooth smartphone connectivity only provides calling and contacts. No media files access for music playback, or smartphone remote control of media playback.

3rd party Android app installation:
  • After putting the Overlander into Android developer mode, sideloading compatible apps is straight forward.
  • Copy an Android application apk file to the Overlander via USB or a memory card and then tap the file in the Overlander’s File Manager to install.
  • Tested Synology DS Audio, GPSTest, and Droid Hardware Info apps
    • DS Audio had no problem using the internal or SD card for local storage, played FLAC files without issue, and paused as expected during Bluetooth calls. By default, Navigation announcements play simultaneously with the music, but at a higher volume. (Adjustable to taste in Settings.)

Other thoughts:
  • In a quiet environment, there is audible coil whine coming from the Overlander.
  • As observed by others, the device seems larger than it needs to be for its screen size.
  • Regarding software maturity expectations, the Overlander was announced on May 17, 2019 and it is currently December, 2021, so the software bugs should have all been solved by now, but they are not.
  • No Garmin Ant+ support to connect to a Garmin tempe sensor, means no trip computer display field showing the temperature of the fridge/freezer in the back of the truck.
  • The Overlander includes a “Fusion-Link™ - Protocol for on-water audio integration and control” stereo remote control app, but does not support Garmin BlueChart maps and is not a water resistant device!?! ☹
  • The Overlander is compatible with some InReach devices for messaging but not Active Weather!?! Again, it has the Fusion-Link app, but is not expected to be used on the water?
  • No NMEA 0183 support over a serial/power cable and or Bluetooth. Useful for seeing APRS equipped members of your party on the map. Garmin Support indicates that NMEA 0183 is not found in any automotive products. Question for Garmin: Is the Fusion-Link app useful in any automotive application?
  • There is an included “Gallery” app, but the Overlander has no built-in camera. (There is a separate app for the optional remote back-up cameras.)
  • No Calendar
  • No Calculator
  • No Stopwatch
  • No Sun and Moon times
  • No display of in-view satellite status!
  • If Garmin is permitting customers to install Android apps, why no App store access?
  • No ability to wirelessly exchange data with another Overlander directly.
  • Big heavy device with tiny battery life. It probably doesn't need long battery life, but it's still a bulky heavy unit to drop in a pack.
  • Not premium priced GNSS receiver performance
  • Consider the high purchase cost, it doesn’t even include a Traffic compatible power cable. (The Overlander compatible Garmin GTM 60 HD Digital Traffic Receiver accessory was recently on sale for CAD $30.)
  • While troubleshooting the missing Topo map features with Garmin Support on the phone, the explore.garmin.com no longer recognized my account. I was able to sign-out from the Explore app on the Overlander, then create a new account with the same credentials. Considering the Explore app on the Overlander won’t run without signing in, this disappearing account event is concerning.
  • There is a Garmin YouTube video that introduces Don Schmidt as Product Manager for the Overlander in the automotive segment. I would be interested to see him share the product requirements document for the Garmin “Overlander”, as to quote from a movie “You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”.

Congratulations if you made it this far. Hopefully there was something useful to you ?

Last edited:

RMAC67

Part 1&2 - Garmin Overlander experience

Congratulations if you made it this far. Hopefully there was something useful to you ?

Thanks for PART.1 and PART.2 info on the Overlander... You have helped me make up my mind NOT to purchase an Overlander at this point...

I know down here in Australia, HEMA had and has had all sorts of issues with running their product on the Android Tablet platform and I, at 1st didn't realize that the Overlander too was built using the Android platform, but it now appears that Garmin has followed a similar path to HEMA but using better quality parts with their Overlander. The HEMA HX1 (not sure of the HX2 yet) have had all sorts of problems and would never touch them...

Still, now knowing that its basically a Android Tablet, I'm not sure I will ever buy one... I like that way my old Montana 650T works and integrated with Basecamp when it comes to trip planning and storing all your past Tracklogs & Waypoints. I've tried using Garmin Explore online and its simply crap with compared to Basecamp. Looks like when I can afford it, that the updated Montana versions may be the way to go in the future...

What I really would like to see is a Basecamp version developed for live tracking, etc... That would be pretty cool I reckon..

Obelisk

Thanks for PART.1 and PART.2 info on the Overlander... You have helped me make up my mind NOT to purchase an Overlander at this point...

I know down here in Australia, HEMA had and has had all sorts of issues with running their product on the Android Tablet platform and I, at 1st didn't realize that the Overlander too was built using the Android platform, but it now appears that Garmin has followed a similar path to HEMA but using better quality parts with their Overlander. The HEMA HX1 (not sure of the HX2 yet) have had all sorts of problems and would never touch them...

Still, now knowing that its basically a Android Tablet, I'm not sure I will ever buy one... I like that way my old Montana 650T works and integrated with Basecamp when it comes to trip planning and storing all your past Tracklogs & Waypoints. I've tried using Garmin Explore online and its simply crap with compared to Basecamp. Looks like when I can afford it, that the updated Montana versions may be the way to go in the future...

What I really would like to see is a Basecamp version developed for live tracking, etc... That would be pretty cool I reckon..

I purchased the Overlander on Monday, soon realized it wasn't working properly, spent several hours on the phone with Garmin Support on Tuesday, spent more hours on the phone with Garmin Support today, and returned the unit to the place of purchase late this afternoon. Garmin Supported seemed concerned and offered to exchange the unit, but some recent flooding in the region has impacting logistics. I was worried that after the time required to exchange the unit, if the replacement exhibiting the same issues (no Topo maps being a show stopper), then I would likely be out of the return-for-refund-period with the retailer.

I've been lurking in the forums here looking for ideas. I realized the Overlander does not have comparable navigation functionality to a handheld, but was expecting it to at least have working Topo maps. With the Overlander option off the table, I'm not sure what to consider. Lots of folks seem impressed by Gaia GPS, but I have not found the interface to be that intuitive. While the Montana 700 has a bigger screen than the Orgeon I have, that alone doesn't justify the upgrade, especially as the core functionality is so similar. The GPSMAP 276Cx is a five year old model now and in the "automotive bundle" still costs CAD $950! The Zumo XT is an Android cousin of the Overlander, so that doesn't seem appealing. The DriveTrack71 supports Topo maps, but there's not a lot of information out there about this model. Practically, I still need navigation with topo maps and hands-free calling. I'm certainly eager to hear any suggestions.

RMAC67

I purchased the Overlander on Monday, soon realized it wasn't working properly, spent several hours on the phone with Garmin Support on Tuesday, spent more hours on the phone with Garmin Support today, and returned the unit to the place of purchase late this afternoon. Garmin Supported seemed concerned and offered to exchange the unit, but some recent flooding in the region has impacting logistics. I was worried that after the time required to exchange the unit, if the replacement exhibiting the same issues (no Topo maps being a show stopper), then I would likely be out of the return-for-refund-period with the retailer.

I've been lurking in the forums here looking for ideas. I realized the Overlander does not have comparable navigation functionality to a handheld, but was expecting it to at least have working Topo maps. With the Overlander option off the table, I'm not sure what to consider. Lots of folks seem impressed by Gaia GPS, but I have not found the interface to be that intuitive. While the Montana 700 has a bigger screen than the Orgeon I have, that alone doesn't justify the upgrade, especially as the core functionality is so similar. The GPSMAP 276Cx is a five year old model now and in the "automotive bundle" still costs CAD $950! The Zumo XT is an Android cousin of the Overlander, so that doesn't seem appealing. The DriveTrack71 supports Topo maps, but there's not a lot of information out there about this model. Practically, I still need navigation with topo maps and hands-free calling. I'm certainly eager to hear any suggestions.

I know down here in Australia there is a program called OZI-Explore. Quite a few guys I know run it as u can create and upload your own maps, etc but again it is not as good as Basecamp for planning as it's routing is from point to point and unlike the BC.
I'm starting to use (learn) a few different Apps on the ios platform (PocketEarth, Mapout & OSM&Maps). The OSMTopo maps are getting better and better as time goes on and even have some remote tracks that Garmin Topo don't even show... but I have noticed that Garmin Lifetime Street Maps are also getting better with their remote tracks (just no contour lines)

WanderingBison

Part 2 - Garmin Overlander experience

Congratulations if you made it this far. Hopefully there was something useful to you

Garmin, the company I love to hate …. While I’ve considered getting an Overlander a number of times, I just can’t wrap my head around some of the limitations that I knew about - and your list is way more exhaustive than mine was

I’m a loyal InReach (GPSMaps 66i) customer and I have similar frustrations with the 66i.

One of the best article I’ve ever read about Garmin and the problems with its products is this one - it won’t solve any problems or provide any satisfaction, but it does seem to sum up the issues with Garmin -

Sadly, Garmin is its worst enemy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

moto-treks

On the road
I guess I've not seen all the problems you are experiencing with the Overlander. For example, I just created a route on the Overlander and it does show time and distance as well as navigates (not a straight line) the roads. I'm also able so see the contour lines of the US TOPO map. I can also get weather through my InReach as well as send and receive messages. But, I have been using the Overlander since December 2019 so I've learned how it works. Is it like the Montana, Oregon, Zumo or 276 - no. For me, the Overlander has is working well. I've used it for over 8,000 Offroad miles (explore) and 20,000 on road miles (dive) in RV and car mode. Does one need to understand how it works - yes, but that's always the case with new GPS.

Obelisk

I know down here in Australia there is a program called OZI-Explore. Quite a few guys I know run it as u can create and upload your own maps, etc but again it is not as good as Basecamp for planning as it's routing is from point to point and unlike the BC.

I have "ozisetup3.exe" file on my network attached storage server, with a file creation date of 2002-06-26. Probably had a Garmin GPS II+ at the time...

Obelisk

I guess I've not seen all the problems you are experiencing with the Overlander. For example, I just created a route on the Overlander and it does show time and distance as well as navigates (not a straight line) the roads. I'm also able so see the contour lines of the US TOPO map. I can also get weather through my InReach as well as send and receive messages. But, I have been using the Overlander since December 2019 so I've learned how it works. Is it like the Montana, Oregon, Zumo or 276 - no. For me, the Overlander has is working well. I've used it for over 8,000 Offroad miles (explore) and 20,000 on road miles (dive) in RV and car mode. Does one need to understand how it works - yes, but that's always the case with new GPS.

I am really glad that your Overlander is working well for you and sincerely wish that I could say the same.

The Overlander I had in my hand did not appear to have any functionality related to weather. Is this feature available somehere in one of the Garmin apps, or are you using a third party side-loaded app? Can you please share a screen shot?

I spent two hours on Tuesday and probably close to another two hours on Thursday with Garmin Support. The support tech. was very friendly but didn't have an Overlander on hand. He indicated that he had a Zumo XT that is apparently quite similar. As mentioned in my post, I have owned various Garmin GPS devices since 1997, currently an Oregon 650T, so I am aware they can be idiosyncratic. (It may help to know that I'm a senior IT guy, so I'm very accustomed to figuring out new technology.)

To be really clear, I was really excited about the Overlander! I tried to objectively document my experience with the device, but my disappointment has likely influenced my write up.

Last edited:

WVI

Adventurer
Thanks for the 2 part review.
I just can't find a use for a device that requires me to have a computer. I haven't had one or even used a aptop, other than this old chromebook, in years.

moto-treks

On the road
I am really glad that your Overlander is working well for you and sincerely wish that I could say the same.

The Overlander I had in my hand did not appear to have any functionality related to weather. Is this feature available somehere in one of the Garmin apps, or are you using a third party side-loaded app? Can you please share a screen shot?

I spent two hours on Tuesday and probably close to another two hours on Thursday with Garmin Support. The support tech. was very friendly but didn't have an Overlander on hand. He indicated that he had a Zumo XT that is apparently quite similar. As mentioned in my post, I have owned various Garmin GPS devices since 1997, currently an Oregon 650T, so I am aware they can be idiosyncratic. (It may help to know that I'm a senior IT guy, so I'm very accustomed to figuring out new technology.)

To be really clear, I was really excited about the Overlander! I tried to objectively document my experience with the device, but my disappointment has likely influenced my write up.

Our backgrounds are similar - software development for 40 years; started using Garmin with the first hand handhelds back in '96 and have owned way too many over the years. I had the GPS II, I think the II Plus was released a year or two later. Before that I used a loran based navigation system for exploring Alaska in my bush plane.

If you are expecting the "InReach" weather to look similar to "Active" weather, like on the 276, then you are looking at different functionality. I never really found the weather capabilities that great on the 276 and now, smartphone apps are much better at weather then a GPS device. Anyway, here is the Basic InReach weather display - you also have Premium and Marine options with the advantage of getting this data without cellular coverage.

Screenshot_20211204-092614-L.png

and here are the topo contour lines
Screenshot_20211204-075309-L.png

as well as a route that was created on the Overlander that is not a straight line
Screenshot_20211204-093012-L.png

and if you are looking for multiple route suggestions then this is what you get. You just need to select the one you want to navigate or edit one if you want something different.
Screenshot_20211204-072514-L.png

and, you do have all these options (plus more on another page) for data to be displayed on the map page
Screenshot_20211204-093038-L.png

moto-treks

On the road
Thanks for the 2 part review.
I just can't find a use for a device that requires me to have a computer. I haven't had one or even used a aptop, other than this old chromebook, in years.

I rarely use a computer with the Overlander. I've used the Overlander to downloaded tracks from the web and loaded them for navigation while out in the middle of nowhere. And, if you don't have cellular coverage you can create a route on the Overlander that auto routes you to your destination. I did connect a laptop to the Overlander once so that I could share the routes with others in the group to insure we ended up at the same place. So, a computer is not necessary to make use of this GPS.

Obelisk

Our backgrounds are similar - software development for 40 years; started using Garmin with the first hand handhelds back in '96 and have owned way too many over the years. I had the GPS II, I think the II Plus was released a year or two later. Before that I used a loran based navigation system for exploring Alaska in my bush plane.
as well as a route that was created on the Overlander that is not a straight line
Screenshot_20211204-093012-L.png

and if you are looking for multiple route suggestions then this is what you get. You just need to select the one you want to navigate or edit one if you want something different.
and, you do have all these options (plus more on another page) for data to be displayed on the map page

Thanks for sharing the screen shots. They illustrate exactly what I was hoping to see, but did not get. Unfortunately, Garmin Support seemed able to talk about how things are supposed to work, but not troubleshoot unexpected issues - like no Topo North America map layer. New out of the box, when I tapped the Explore app it a) wanted to sign in and b) wanted to upgrade. I wonder if there is a bug in the 5.40 firmware that prevented the Topo North America layer from a functioning initial install/update, that then effected the map display and routing capabilities, etc.? Maybe units that installed the map, pre 5.40 firmware, don't exhibit the problems I encountered? I can't imagine it's a hardware issue. Garmin should consider something like Bomgar/BeyondTrust remote support for these Android based products.

If I purchase a unit directly from Garmin today, it should be here by December 15th. According to the website, I would have until January 15th to return it. Unfortunately the price is back up to CAD $950. I will try contacting Garmin, outside of their support channel, to see if we can figure something out.

moto-treks

On the road
Thanks for sharing the screen shots. They illustrate exactly what I was hoping to see, but did not get. Unfortunately, Garmin Support seemed able to talk about how things are supposed to work, but not troubleshoot unexpected issues - like no Topo North America map layer. New out of the box, when I tapped the Explore app it a) wanted to sign in and b) wanted to upgrade. I wonder if there is a bug in the 5.40 firmware that prevented the Topo North America layer from a functioning initial install/update, that then effected the map display and routing capabilities, etc.? Maybe units that installed the map, pre 5.40 firmware, don't exhibit the problems I encountered? I can't imagine it's a hardware issue. Garmin should consider something like Bomgar/BeyondTrust remote support for these Android based products.

If I purchase a unit directly from Garmin today, it should be here by December 15th. According to the website, I would have until January 15th to return it. Unfortunately the price is back up to CAD $950. I will try contacting Garmin, outside of their support channel, to see if we can figure something out.

The updare process in 2019 toasted my first Overlander. Garmin said they would replace the unit if I mailed it in. I decided to just replace it via Amazon vs waiting on Garmin to get me a new unit. I’ve not had an update problem since those early days but every time I update it I hold my breath. One could possibly backup the unit by coping all the files on the Overlander prior to upgrading - that’s what we did with the Montana during it’s early years while we debugged that unit.

moto-treks

On the road
I wonder if there is a bug in the 5.40 firmware that prevented the Topo North America layer from a functioning initial install/update, that then effected the map display and routing capabilities, etc.?

You can delete and then reload maps to see if that helps. Also, remember that there are two applications on the Overlander each with different functionality. The "Drive" application is for auto-routing and the "Explore" application is for track navigation and route creation. The two applications do collaborate so information generated by one can be seen in the other. This is different than say, the Montana, which only has one application for both track and auto-routing navigation.

Saratoga

Adventurer
Hiya

I have come into this the other way along. I have been using a 7" Garmin Truck SatNav (Dezl 780, 560 and LGV700 in that order). I previously had a Snooper TruckNav but over time that got worse for me. So I upgraded to a Garmin and I've travelled over 400,000 kilometers over 5 years with it. I used it both on and off road and with and without basecamp. After a 4 years I added a Dezl 560 and used that specificially in my 4x4, and from time to time used the 780 in car mode.

Recently I upgraded both to the new LGV700 model, and this one has live traffic too. The log function is quite impressive as it shows me places I've been, the times it took and other details like that.

Such as 'base depot to delivery point 1' then 'd/p1 to d/p2' and stuff. The routing with traffic information is quite on the ball too. It still uses a Mini USB but has a Micro USB for programming. The Mini USB has to be 2A input and without it it complains after a while that its not getting enough power. I have the traffic receiver module but here in the UK Garmin have discontinued traffic support over FM and reccomends using a bluetooth enabled mobile phone connection.

So. That's the Truck SatNav's I've used and have. I have been interested in the Overlander for some time and despite all of the drawbacks feel it's worth a try. Here in the UK I have been using ViewRanger for topo maps and that application/platform is ceasing to be and changing to a new version/entity that I don't get on with so far. I have OSMand and am pleased I could possibly get it to work with the Garmin as side loading.

I don't think I'd pair my phone to the Overlander except for traffic if it needs it. I have onboard wifi already so I'm hoping the device can work with that.

The way I read it above, I can read the contents from the Overlander to Basecamp, but if I send anything to the device with Basecamp, the device fails. Oh joy. I shall have to investigate the online app more.

Considering I was using the LGV versions I'm gonna go with the Overlander as my main nav unit. I already refer to other online sources to validate my routes here in the UK to make sure they are legal to drive. In the past I have set a waypoint for the start of the lane and the end of the lane, then planned a route to either depending on my goal. I then just make notes of 'suggested route' and get the Nav unit to navigate there.

For planning longer trips I tend to plan routes to particular waypoints, POIs etc. Mostly letting the Nav do its own thing to get me there. I've already had a play with some settings because trust me, its never fun reversing several miles out of a track in a 40 ton articulated truck on hazard lights when you've met an obstruction :D :D :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94