Garmin Overlander

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Basecamp with updates on MBPro doesn't see the Explorer side of the Overlander; invisible. Plug/unplug/reboot both devices, etc., ad nauseam to no way. Its just another product emblematic of so many half-baked products today, that marketing departments convince us of otherwise. I just wish these companies would take Monopoly Money as they both are equally fake. Seems so many products either need to be re-engineered or returned. But I digress.

Good thing I didn't give away my 14 year old Lowrance Baja 540C. Ditto my DeLorme and Benchmark paper maps and an old analog compass.

moto-treks

On the road
The Overlander is not supported by Basecamp - never has been. One needs to use the web based Explore app. I’m guessing Garmin is going to retire Basecamp once Explore has the same capabilities.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
The Overlander is not supported by Basecamp - never has been. One needs to use the web based Explore app. I’m guessing Garmin is going to retire Basecamp once Explore has the same capabilities.

A hell of a lot of good a "web-based Explore app" does me when I'm out in the middle of nowhere for a week and trying to create tracks to put on my GPS unit..........

moto-treks

On the road
In that case use whatever app you like and import via sd card or the android file transfer app. I’ve been creating routes on the Overlander for the last 4 weeks with success too. It’s all about learning to use the tools at hand ;-)

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Putting the new Overlander to an in-field test this week. I miss the ability to quickly, on the fly, measure distance to objects on the Overlander. Ditto elevation display. Ala Lowrance.

But portability, mag mount, etc, are very useful.

moto-treks

On the road
Agree, it would be nice for a quick measure tool. You can “add” a waypoint, look at the distance and then delete the waypoint. Elevation can be displayed with the “Data Fields” option. Both of these are available via the Explore app

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Another little gripe: The path line for Track Recorder is black. Why not a shade/color that is not similar/same to the trail "color/s" displayed in Explore mode (topo)? Even better, with just a little coding the operator could select the color for Track Recorder.

Ok, another little gripe: At trail speed the display is difficult to "read". Having the ability to adjust contrast to better and more easily distinguish where in the heck one is "at"...would be very useful.

With just a little more & better input from experienced users the software side could be refined to near perfection. Its a product that has so much to offer yet is deficient in many ways.

Aslantarek

I have a question that has been killing me please someone HELP!!!

I drive primarily on sand dunes because thats the offroading in my country.. so since dunes are always vhanging due to wind you do not use base camp or any other thing to create routs or tracks.. you set a point on where you want to go and gps gives you a straight line to it and you use your eyes and brain to cross dunes accordingly to get there

on the garmin overlander “explore tab”.. which is the “OFFROADING” mode.. it does not show distance to the point im selecting.. and its killing me.. the data fields are locked to “course , elevation, speed, and coordinates”… why the HELL would i need speed i have the car spedo right infront of me.. also elevation has no business being front and center in the desert.. you go up and down hundreds of meters in seconds… HOW DO I PUT DISTANCE TO POINT THERE.. i cant keep going back to the normal map tab just to see the distance then go back in explore again.. this is frustrating.. my 10 year old montana 600 kicks this tablets A**********

please help

gasgas

Hi ;
So,considering this Overlander is Android based, can a guy load additional Android apps?
Could you run the Avenza app.for example?

Thanks

Pappy

Hi ;
So,considering this Overlander is Android based, can a guy load additional Android apps?
Could you run the Avenza app.for example?

Thanks
I was under the impression that you could upload apps. But, I haven't been able to do so. Not saying it can't be done, just that I couldn't figure it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles