Garmin Overlander

moto-treks

On the road
True - but if your mirrors are useless then for a backup camera it lets you know if someone has stepped behind you. I’ve not tried it on the front. I’m guessing it would give you an idea of how big the drop off is or if the trail turns left/right at the top of the hill. If one needs more info then that then they had better get out and take a look ;-)

True - but if your mirrors are useless then for a backup camera it lets you know if someone has stepped behind you. I’ve not tried it on the front. I’m guessing it would give you an idea of how big the drop off is or if the trail turns left/right at the top of the hill. If one needs more info then that then they had better get out and take a look ;-)

8e18ba4098c5fd0a2cc6714c4c0c7c94.jpg

Already got one of those

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cactusjk

Explorer
Seriously considering for my FJ. Done with the eeePC and Overland Navigator.

Was going to go the iPad route but been using Garmins since the beginning.

Much easier to mount using RAM balls, etc.

And a $200 rebate right now.

85_Ranger4x4

Seriously considering for my FJ. Done with the eeePC and Overland Navigator.

Was going to go the iPad route but been using Garmins since the beginning.

Much easier to mount using RAM balls, etc.

And a $200 rebate right now.

I recently mounted mine with the RAM mounts and I really like it.

Runs off a keyed socket so it comes on and off with the ignition.

My biggest gripe thus far is when I have it in the offroad mode, turn the truck off and turn it back on it comes on back in the offroad mode. If I do the same in turn by turn mode (normal road mode) it just comes on to the home screen. Pathetic complaint but it would be nice if it would come back on in whichever mode it loses power in.

BlackdogGS

Observer
Ive been using the new Garmin Zumo XT on my motorcycle and have been considering the new Overlander for my Tacoma. I believe both have similar features so the transition would be easy. Then I though I should be reasonable and just use the Zumo in the Tacoma so I just ordered a car mount for it. I’m really trying not to buy the Overlander and being content with the Zumo. The $200 rebate is what pushed me.

moto-treks

On the road
The Zuno looks pretty similar. I use my Overlander for off-road and RV navigation. I’ve also installed a backup cam and will be installing another for a forward facing view.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
So, I bought an Overlander apart of the rebate dealio. I'm really trying to like it...but...

From the Mac OS side its super bulky, slow and fat. And communication between the device and MBPro is sloooooooow. Not impressed so far.

Overlander screen brightness is a bit on the anemic side, even with auto-bright turned off and brightness maxed.

It all feels like 1999.

MiamiC70

Why anyone not being provided a free one by Garmin would tout the virtues of this POS turd is beyond me at this point. I guess “Overland flexing”? Maybe, masochism?

moto-treks

On the road
So, I bought an Overlander apart of the rebate dealio. I'm really trying to like it...but...

From the Mac OS side its super bulky, slow and fat. And communication between the device and MBPro is sloooooooow. Not impressed so far.

Overlander screen brightness is a bit on the anemic side, even with auto-bright turned off and brightness maxed.

It all feels like 1999.
We’ll, it is android based ;-)
What application on your MBPro are you using that is slow? I connect my MBPro to the Overlander with BaseCamp and GarminExpress as well as an android file connection app (can’t remember the name now) and the speed isn’t that bad when compared with other GPS devices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles