Garmin Overlander

jhosborn

I totally love the idea of "Overland"; easy mounting of hardware; the idea of sync of maps etc. But I also get frustrated by the clunkyness of the software. I think Garmin would be better off by designing a hot rod pad with GAIA on it.

I too have been using the overland shortly after release. I'd have to say I've not had many problems with the explore website but I don't use it for many planning activities. I use Basecamp on a MacBook Pro for working with tracks or routes. Then, Google maps for satellite view. I'll export my tracks from basecamp and upload to the Explore website. Then, let the explore sync to the Overlander. There was an issue awhile back with syncing but I believe that was solved. During that time I just transferred the tracks via a micoSD card. When I'm out on the trail I bring my laptop and SD card so that I can update if needed without internet access.

Basecamp is absolutely one of the best tools for this hardware. Multi day trips are a breeze to build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I totally love the idea of "Overland"; easy mounting of hardware; the idea of sync of maps etc. But I also get frustrated by the clunkyness of the software. I think Garmin would be better off by designing a hot rod pad with GAIA on it.

I found GAIA to be a total mess. It’s not designed for vehicular travel. It doesn’t route well. Throws you out back to your maps program for actual nav. No thanks.

New update for the Garmin Overlander:

Version 5.20

Release Date 3/10/2021

• Added support for the Garmin PowerSwitch
  • Added an Off-Route recalculation setting
  • Improved routing when toll roads are avoided
There were like 30 updates and fixes, around 450Mb. Garmin Express listed the full update.

Lots and lots of the other changes included importing GPX files via SD card in Explore. I'm particularly interested in the Garmin PowerSwitch. It's competitive with other switch systems in pricing and works standalone with your smart phone and best of all, each channel supports 30 AMPS. More than Switch-Pro's etc.

Garmin PowerSwitch

rf-lg-1dad527e-636e-4070-8015-19b814acd6e4.jpg

moto-treks

On the road
Being able to sync the device in explore on the Overlander is working too. That stopped working for me several months ago.

TO_Socal

Absolutely I’ve used all of the major platforms. I’ve personally settled on Garmin. What kind of comparison are you looking for?

Being off-grid, how accurate both compare to each other. I know they both make solid softwares.

moto-treks

On the road
Has the software frozen while using it for long periods of hours?
I've run the Overlander for days on end without ever needing to restart. Even on my multi-month trips all I've ever done was put it in suspend mode for a day or two to save batteries. When I stay stationary for a few days I use it to interact with my inReach for weather updates. I do power it off if I'm not using it for several weeks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles