Garmin Overlander

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I've loaded the Amazon app store and installed a few things. View attachment 629783

Most notably, Wikipedia and The Weather Channel. Wikipedia is neat in that you can quickly save an article for offline viewing. I found some covering Oregon ghost towns. GPS coordinates are found in nearly every article.

View attachment 629785

I also added the The Weather Channel. There wasn't a good weather app. InReach would be nice to have, but if I grab good cell service, I can hotspot and grab a weather map.

View attachment 629784

How did you D/L the apps? I'd like to D/L Earthmate. Thanks

How did you D/L the apps? I'd like to D/L Earthmate. Thanks

I just put the Amazon App Store on it. You can find it through the browser. I’ve sideloaded a few apps. But most anything worth having requires Google Play Service, which is a whole thing to try to get running properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Have a couple more questions for you Overlander users:

1) Apart of exploring off the beaten path, I find it useful to pan out and around my current position to scope out other trails/features, etc. Is this just a matter of pinching the screen on the Overlander or is it a multi-press affair?

2) Its nice to be able to drop a pin-icon (camp site, etc) waypoint and/or a short note on a particular waypoint: Is this quick and easy to do with the Overlander or does it involve multiple presses/menus?

I'm still using a 12+ YO Lowrance Baja540c and for all its clunkiness, I find a couple features described above useful to me on a regular basis, along with a visible track of where I've been (without having to deal with finding same via menus, etc). That and having multi-state topos installed without the typical (of software apps) excruciating (IMHO) and time/bandwidth intensive process of downloading areas when its least convenient, to be valuable to me.

And being able to pan around current view without stopping the vehicle. Every touch screen device I've used makes this a bit of a PITA. Yeah, I know...

1) Apart of exploring off the beaten path, I find it useful to pan out and around my current position to scope out other trails/features, etc. Is this just a matter of pinching the screen on the Overlander or is it a multi-press affair?

2) Its nice to be able to drop a pin-icon (camp site, etc) waypoint and/or a short note on a particular waypoint: Is this quick and easy to do with the Overlander or does it involve multiple presses/menus?

I'm still using a 12+ YO Lowrance Baja540c and for all its clunkiness, I find a couple features described above useful to me on a regular basis, along with a visible track of where I've been (without having to deal with finding same via menus, etc). That and having multi-state topos installed without the typical (of software apps) excruciating (IMHO) and time/bandwidth intensive process of downloading areas when its least convenient, to be valuable to me.

And being able to pan around current view without stopping the vehicle. Every touch screen device I've used makes this a bit of a PITA. Yeah, I know...

So a few different answers here. The Overlander has two modes and they work in tandem. Drive and Explore. You can swipe and pan on any mode no matter what your doing. You can tap right on the map to create a waypoint. In Explore, it will give you the option to edit, navigate or delete. You and even download additional maps like USGS, bird eye sat maps, or OpenstreetMaps. So just a single tap to create a waypoint.

In Drive mode, you have a 3D perspective where you can rotate, zoom, pan etc. and it’s quite snappy to pan across large swathes of land. I was pretty surprised, given the hardware. You can look around in the map, tap the screen where you want a waypoint, and Drive will present a “Go” and navigate to the spot using your chosen drive mode (Fast, Short, Offroad). Offroad will allow the Garmin to default to Forest service roads rather than highways etc. Pretty neat feature it really found elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moto-treks

On the road

Yes
Waypoint creation depends on which app you are in. For example in the Drive app its just a matter of touching the screen and then saving a waypoint (no note capability). In the Explore app you can tap the screen which drops a pin and then you can add a waypoint, rename it, add a note or change the icon.

paramidget

Hi there. I have managed to put oziexplorer on the unit and all the maps from Australia. Just another mapping option to use. I just side loaded the app from the interwebs and transferred the map files to the unit from Win10.

Attachments

• 20210224_165257.jpg
    20210224_165257.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 27

RoninWanderer

Definitely lost.... ?
I have been running the Overland since it came out around 2 years ago. At this point, I am considering selling the Overlander and going back to GAIA. While I find the Overlander to be a good device, the maps are lacking somewhat compared to GAIA (I've been running both for a while now to compare). The biggest issue I have with Garmin, is the Explore website/syncing. I do a lot of planning and organizing on the web with my iMac at home. Much easier to do that on a big screen. The Garmin website, however, has never worked properly for me. Several computers, several browsers and several hours with tech support. Half the time, the site won't even load, then it's luck if my info shows up or is "invisible". We've troubleshooted extensively and I'm just about over it!

On the flip side, having all the maps predownloaded is nice, but my iPhone has enough memory, GAIA can hold most stuff if I plan in advance.

Has anyone else had the website issues like I have? Again, been 2 years on multiple computers....same issues. At this point, I don't think Garmin is going to fix any of the problems I am running into. I'd love feedback before I sell this device.

moto-treks

On the road
I too have been using the overland shortly after release. I'd have to say I've not had many problems with the explore website but I don't use it for many planning activities. I use Basecamp on a MacBook Pro for working with tracks or routes. Then, Google maps for satellite view. I'll export my tracks from basecamp and upload to the Explore website. Then, let the explore sync to the Overlander. There was an issue awhile back with syncing but I believe that was solved. During that time I just transferred the tracks via a micoSD card. When I'm out on the trail I bring my laptop and SD card so that I can update if needed without internet access.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles