Garmin Overlander

DaCrazyRN

iOverland POIs missing after update
I bought the Overlander the other day. After updating the software and maps I noticed the iOverland POIs did not exist. Unfortunately, I did not validate that iOverland POIs existed before updating. Garmin support told be to reload the maps. I tried that but Garmin Express failed. I returned/replaced the device and have not updated a thing and the iOverland POIs are available. I'm on Garmin software version 3.0 and North America map version NT 2020.10. Has anyone updated to the latest software and maps and still have access to the iOverland POIs?

Same problem. contacted through web. got an email to contact them. sent back to the webpage thing again. still haven't called. in the meantime I just downloaded the iOverlander android app and installed it. they show up on the garmin maps now, and can access the app, too. just will not you see it in map mode on the app, because you can not install google play product. the list and everything else work (putting in your own) in the app

moto-treks

On the road
iOverland POIs missing after update
I bought the Overlander the other day. After updating the software and maps I noticed the iOverland POIs did not exist. Unfortunately, I did not validate that iOverland POIs existed before updating. Garmin support told be to reload the maps. I tried that but Garmin Express failed. I returned/replaced the device and have not updated a thing and the iOverland POIs are available. I'm on Garmin software version 3.0 and North America map version NT 2020.10. Has anyone updated to the latest software and maps and still have access to the iOverland POIs?

I exchanged the first Overlander with a second but have not updated the maps yet. I did update the software several times; current version 4.40 . One of the updates fixed a bug with "iOverland POIs being removed". I'll try updating to the latest mapset when I return to the US in a month or two.

WVI

Adventurer
Does it require access to a real laptop/computer (as in not a chromebook) to do the updates and add items such as poi's?

moto-treks

On the road
Does it require access to a real laptop/computer (as in not a chromebook) to do the updates and add items such as poi's?

The Overlander only needs a WiFi connection to update the software/maps. POIs can also be added via WiFi if you use the explore website as the Website/Overlander sync. Meaning I can add a POI (waypoint) on the website and it will update the device. Or, if I enter the waypoint on the device, say out on a trip with no WiFi, the device will update the website once Wifi is connected. You can also import via a mico-USB card.

Reactions: WVI
Really wish they’d sort out being able to use the camera as front-facing instead of rear-only... that would be enough to push me over the $700 edge to buy one of these things.

moto-treks

On the road
Really wish they’d sort out being able to use the camera as front-facing instead of rear-only... that would be enough to push me over the $700 edge to buy one of these things.

It supports a total of 4 cameras. My understanding is you can use one of those as a front facing camera. I’m planing on getting one and testing.

WVI

Adventurer
Thanks Moto.
I know on some of the older GPS equipment, as in my older handheld GPS, it requires a Mac or Windows machine to do any mods or updates.
I haven't touched a real computer in about 8yrs.....

It supports a total of 4 cameras. My understanding is you can use one of those as a front facing camera. I’m planing on getting one and testing.

I'm very interested in your findings. My understanding is their camera that works with it is intended for backwards-facing video, so if you try to use it forward-facing it will be mirror-image to what is really in front of you. Early reviews said that there was no way to flip the video to accommodate front-facing, but I would love to hear that this was incorrect or has changed....

moto-treks

On the road
I'm very interested in your findings. My understanding is their camera that works with it is intended for backwards-facing video, so if you try to use it forward-facing it will be mirror-image to what is really in front of you. Early reviews said that there was no way to flip the video to accommodate front-facing, but I would love to hear that this was incorrect or has changed....

Oh ? I didn't think of that. I want one camera for a backup camera anyway so I'll try it in the forward position just to see but I'm guessing you are correct.

So according to the Q&A on Amazon for the BC-35, the camera has a “flip” setting - but I don’t see that in the bc-35 manual online. If this is the case, problem solved!

REI now has the gps units, and I just received a 20% off coupon - so should be able to get this thing for $140 off. However, still too much to spend if the camera doesn’t work front-facing, as I might as well go iPad and wireless camera for the $700 this thing costs.

Edit: just found this “how-to”, looks like I’m sold.

moto-treks

On the road
So according to the Q&A on Amazon for the BC-35, the camera has a “flip” setting - but I don’t see that in the bc-35 manual online. If this is the case, problem solved!

REI now has the gps units, and I just received a 20% off coupon - so should be able to get this thing for $140 off. However, still too much to spend if the camera doesn’t work front-facing, as I might as well go iPad and wireless camera for the $700 this thing costs.

Edit: just found this “how-to”, looks like I’m sold.
Awesome! I’m going to order a BC35 next month.

Maps Updated
My trip to Mexico was postponed so I decided to update the maps on the Overlander. I updated South America first, rebooted and the North America. They updated successfully and did not remove the iOverlander POIs. So, one of the system software updates fixed the problem of deleting the POIs.

moto-treks

On the road
Did Garmin ever include, within an update, a breadcrumb feature for easy back-nav?
If you are thinking of a button that says back-nav then no.

There are 2 options for recording and following tracks. One is to turn on the Track Recorder and the other is to turn on the Travel History. Each is a bit different but both record breadcrumbs. Once recorded you can follow the breadcrumb by simply displaying it on the screen.

Track Recorder creates a separate track each time it's turned on. The track can be uploaded to the Explore website.
Travel History, once turned on, always records where you have been and stores the information on the Overlander; regardless of the Track Recorder setting.

I have not found a way, on the the Overlander, to actually navigate a track like one can do on the Montana. You can navigate "to" the start of a track but not the track itself. However, on the Explore website you can convert the track into a route and navigate that. That said, I don't "navigated" a track - even on the Montana. I found it easier just to display the track on the screen and follow it. The Overlander lets you do this for both the Track Recorder and the Travel History.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles