Garmin Overlander

Saratoga

Adventurer
Although I note that with the Garmin Montana 700 series you can get 1:25k and 1:50k OS Topo maps in the UK but you can't get it for the Overlander :(

I suspect it is because the Overlander is using the Android architecture and the Montana is using the previous OS, which I think was MS WM6 or so.

Saratoga

Adventurer
Looks like Garmin have now released to the Tread series.

Which is similar to the Overlander, and they’ve done a similar thing that which they did with the Dezl series.

It’s not compatible with the Explore app, they’ve given it a fresh app called tread.

It has a built-in ‘in reach’ thing, and they’ve offered it up with larger screens.

I did consider the Montana range of devices, especially because they could use the 1:25k and 1:50k UK OS maps.

It is currently priced a little bit more than the Overlander, but the Overlander price might then come down.

I’m not going to hold my breath of course, and I’m in the process of speaking with one of my suppliers to see if they can get the Overlander in. I know it’s nice and helpful but I’m trying to reduce my dependence on Amazon.

Mblinko

Don't expect the overlander to sync with your computer if you have and M1 MacBook Pro running Monterey. It's unsupported.

moto-treks

On the road
Don't expect the overlander to sync with your computer if you have and M1 MacBook Pro running Monterey. It's unsupported.
If you mean "sync" with Basecamp then correct. However, the Overlander and Basecamp have never really been supported.

One can use a M1 MacBook Pro and Garmin Express with the Overlander to sync software and map updates.

Saratoga

Adventurer
The other option is just to use a Wi-Fi link to synchronise, as with the Overlander it’s all based online

bear100

Hiya

I have come into this the other way along. I have been using a 7" Garmin Truck SatNav (Dezl 780, 560 and LGV700 in that order). I previously had a Snooper TruckNav but over time that got worse for me. So I upgraded to a Garmin and I've travelled over 400,000 kilometers over 5 years with it. I used it both on and off road and with and without basecamp. After a 4 years I added a Dezl 560 and used that specificially in my 4x4, and from time to time used the 780 in car mode.

Recently I upgraded both to the new LGV700 model, and this one has live traffic too. The log function is quite impressive as it shows me places I've been, the times it took and other details like that.

Such as 'base depot to delivery point 1' then 'd/p1 to d/p2' and stuff. The routing with traffic information is quite on the ball too. It still uses a Mini USB but has a Micro USB for programming. The Mini USB has to be 2A input and without it it complains after a while that its not getting enough power. I have the traffic receiver module but here in the UK Garmin have discontinued traffic support over FM and reccomends using a bluetooth enabled mobile phone connection.

So. That's the Truck SatNav's I've used and have. I have been interested in the Overlander for some time and despite all of the drawbacks feel it's worth a try. Here in the UK I have been using ViewRanger for topo maps and that application/platform is ceasing to be and changing to a new version/entity that I don't get on with so far. I have OSMand and am pleased I could possibly get it to work with the Garmin as side loading.

I don't think I'd pair my phone to the Overlander except for traffic if it needs it. I have onboard wifi already so I'm hoping the device can work with that.

The way I read it above, I can read the contents from the Overlander to Basecamp, but if I send anything to the device with Basecamp, the device fails. Oh joy. I shall have to investigate the online app more.

Considering I was using the LGV versions I'm gonna go with the Overlander as my main nav unit. I already refer to other online sources to validate my routes here in the UK to make sure they are legal to drive. In the past I have set a waypoint for the start of the lane and the end of the lane, then planned a route to either depending on my goal. I then just make notes of 'suggested route' and get the Nav unit to navigate there.

For planning longer trips I tend to plan routes to particular waypoints, POIs etc. Mostly letting the Nav do its own thing to get me there. I've already had a play with some settings because trust me, its never fun reversing several miles out of a track in a 40 ton articulated truck on hazard lights when you've met an obstruction :D :D :D

I was in a similar situation, in the end i just got one mainly for use in the uk but also to be used across the Pyrenees and other expeditions we do. Paired with your phone it works well, actually I am quite impressed, it excels off road and is very good on road. I do find that traffic and diverting around it is a bit slow compared to the Tom Tom.

What does everyone think of the new Garmin Overlander?

Seems a bit pricey, I wonder the quality of the included topo maps (given one of the options is to download additional USGS quad sheets). Honestly I am in the market for something like this, if it lives up to what it should do.

Availability is listed at 3-5 weeks out.
Don't do it!

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
Would it be better to get a Tablet and add Baja offroad sofware? I am spending 1 month at Baja in the back roads.
What would you recommend?

moto-treks

On the road
Would it be better to get a Tablet and add Baja offroad sofware? I am spending 1 month at Baja in the back roads.
What would you recommend?
I’ve been using the Overlander for years in Baja. It works well. However, I’ve found that there is not a single source for all the 4x4 roads in Baja. I use paper maps, google maps, Apple Maps, satellite imagery, the Garmin explore website and basecamp to create tracks of the roads I want to attempt.

I have not looked at Baja offroad software for many years so maybe there are some good sources available that supply gps tracks.

I have noticed that Garmin has not updated the Overlander hardware yet so I wonder if the product is going to be discontinued.

gwittman

Adventurer
That would just be my luck if they discontinued the Garmin Overlander. I finally pulled the trigger and bought one last year when they had them on sale. I had been evaluating various ways to go and was impressed with the capability of Garmin Overlander belonging to friends I have travelled with.

Oh well, I should still get some good use of it. I have mapped out the Wyoming Backcountry Discovery Route on it and am ready at least for that.

I thought I saw something about Garmin Overlander and Gaia coming together to map out all of the Backcountry Discovery routes. If that is true, I would not think they would be planning to discontinue. Then again, I could be wrong about that partnership.

moto-treks

On the road
I know that BDR and Gaia have a partnership but I’ve not heard of that for the Overlander. But, one just needs to download the GPX track file and then import that into the Overlander.

You are good to go with the Overlander. I still use mine and prefer it over other GPS devices. I just would have hoped Garmin had updated the hardware as that would be a sign they plan of keeping the technology for awhile. Heck, they may keep using the same hardware for years as it does work. I did notice they discontinued the backup camera that is compatible with the Overlander and none of the current cameras they offer support the Overlander :cry:

gwittman

Adventurer
You are right. I looked for the information I thought included Garmin, but it only included BDR and Gaia. I should check my sources before stating non-facts.

I guess it was wishful thinking.

moto-treks

On the road
It would be nice if there was some type of easy integration with BDR routes on all Garmin devices. Maybe Garmin should figure out a way to have any Offroad track be downloaded via the web. I use TrailsOffroad and they too have a Gaia integration. But, I only use Gaia for planning purposes and not for actual driving. And then there is Baja which means a lot of looking at different paper maps and google satellite images.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles