Garmin Overlander

Pappy

It would be nice if there was some type of easy integration with BDR routes on all Garmin devices.

As somebody said. Download the GPX files from the BDR website to your Overlander. I currently have AZ, NM, UT, ID, WA, NV BDR's on my Overlander. I've done all of them except UT. I did all of WA, NV, ID, and much of NM using my Overlander. I also did the AZ Peace Trail using my Overlander after downloading the GPX from their website.

lucilius

Beats a sextant in whiteout and easier to dash-mount than an astrolabe: I've used an olander for 2+ years with no issues throughout North America. It is not the smoothest tool for easy onroad/highway nav, esp. in urban areas and won't tell you if it's raining outside or where to secure the best café au lait, but you're probably using your phone there in most cases because no one else I'm aware of keeps data updated and tells you what to think as expertly as google. I mainly use the olander when I'm looking for/enroute to offroad features (routes, campsites, water, etc.), the roads/wx get bad or I'm on a track/trail and want to get a quick look at topography. IMO, better than relying on a cell-based system that can drop out on trips, always when most needed, though this might not be an issue in a lot of the cell-tower dense parts of the US. Call me old-fashioned but the best thing about this device is you are carrying a complete, loaded North American mapset in your hand. There very well could be other devices that provide this out of the box but I haven't seen one that isn't reliant on cell, satellite, etc. to a large degree and the need to regularly download&update map info. Olander needs no connection to any network to show you decently detailed maps/topography for the continent. It handles the cold reasonably well for an electronic device but like all things, your battery life beyond the world of heated garages and/or handy plugs everywhere, will be cut in half if you're not plugged in. I usually haul it back to the heated camper at night to peruse the next day's adventure but on the occasions when I've left it mounted up front after a cold night, it fires up and runs with no problem. Not a common scenario, but if you somehow found yourself in austere conditions, with just a compass and knowledge of how to ascertain your own location (and having some means of keeping it charged) your navigation is going to be limited only by your ability to do basic land nav and determine your own position. IME, it offers ultimate self-reliance and easier to haul around than a bunch of paper maps...and as a big a fan of paper maps/gazettes, they admittedly eat up a lot of space, esp. when laminated/wxproof. I'm considering buying a spare in the event Garmin replaces it with something "smarter" and user-friendly that is less capable. It works well with the In-reach as well.

Saratoga

Adventurer
So. The Overlander is no longer supported on the app. You can still use the web browser to plan and plot routes, but not the app on the phone.

It is not compatible with any of the reversing cameras anymore, and is in a standalone position with anything else that could support it.

From what I can tell, the tread Overlander is the replacement which is 1300 that is either UK pounds or American dollars.

Saratoga

Adventurer
Since my last reply to this thread I have also found intermittent periods where the Garmin Overlander is locking me out of the web based planning system.

If you actually look on the webpage it states that the Overlander is no longer supported.

I’m guessing the replacement is the tread overland at $1300.

I don’t have the money at the moment to buy into that system, and hopefully what I have will keep going here.

In the early days there was the possibility before online synchronisation, to be able to use the Overlander with the original computer based system. But at the very beginning, they encouraged you to switch across to the online version

Explore.garmin.com

It is a shame that they have removed Overlander from their supported package, and I’m sure that they will use that point to try and push people into the new Tread Overlander.

Last night I was doing some updates and at one point it announced that it needed unlock codes but got past it after awhile. I suspect it was because it was online at the time and able to query online. It may very well be that in time I stop allowing it to be online, but we shall see. In the meantime, the app still allows me off-line to plan using the Explore app on the device.

That may end up being the only way to get the device to work for planning and use.

Pretty poor show from Garmin.

gwittman

Adventurer
I have not had any problem with it yet. However, I never did online based planning. I just planned my route manually. Not the easiest way to go but it works for me.

I have found Garmin Overlander shows a lot of old trails that don't exist anymore and a few new trails that that it doesn't show. When I did the Wyoming BDR, the track I had on my Overlander was the same as everybody else's for the most part. There were a couple times though that the trail we took showed I was off track and no trail existed where we were. I used the BDR paper map to do my manual tracking and the others downloaded the track.

JackW

Explorer
Garmin strikes again - after they dumped the Monterra (right after I bought one) now they drop support for another expensive device after only a couple of years. I'm using Gaia on a Samsung tablet very successfully and have a box of obsolete Garmin devices down in the basement.

They are not getting another dime from me.

ExpoMike

Wow, that sucks. I have had mine a few years but haven't used it nearly as much as my project vehicle is way behind. I have used it in my more "daily" 4WD vehicles. I found out after the first of the year, they stopped selling the backup cameras. I happened to find two of them (forum and FB Marketplace) and grabbed them. If I get to the point it isn't going to work anymore, that will be my last stand alone GPS. I'll go to a tablet and something like Giha or OnX. This is the second time I have had an "overlanding" type GPS that was dropped from support (Magellian from way back in the day).

I guess companies are starting to use the "Apple" model of replacing models every year..... :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier