Garmin Nuvi vs Garmin App/OM App?

withalittlemoxie

alittlemoxie
Hi everyone,

I apologize in advance for asking what seems to be a really basic question.

I've been mulling over purchasing a garmin Nuvi (- around $100/amazon) or a garmin app for the iphone/ipad (- around $60) or simply the free OpenMaps on the iphone/ipad.

I know there are better garmins but we don't have room in our budget for ANYTHING more. In fact, even the $100 would be stretching it right now.

But this is the thing:

1. We have time. We can download stuff ahead of time and take time to make sure we have information
2. We have space for the maps on the ipad and can transfer them over as needed

We also are good at connecting with locals along the way as well as others and figuring stuff out. We do enjoy that piece of travelling.

BUT:

1. We have 3 little kids and we don't want to be in danger
2. It seems a lot of people go by coordinates only. Which is fine so long as the paper maps available or the OpenMaps have good coordinates info

SO:

I'm wondering if you know how really necessary a Nuvi would be? We will suck it up and get it if it really seems superior to the other options, but is it, do you know?

And how good are the Open Maps? Or locally available maps along the way?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice,

Meriah

Sirocco

Explorer
You dont say where you are going or how you are traveling.

Open Street Map is exceptionally good. We really enjoyed using it over the last 9 months. Ours was coupled with an old Garmin GPS Map 60 £80 on ebay. I would download the nav app and see how you get along with it in your local area first.

Co-ords are great for exchanging info on the road. Easy to sms between travellers, take photos of routes written in waypoint WP form etc. But you could probably get by without it.

The 1 solid thing i would recommend is to make sure it can operate independantly from anything else (cache maps, GPS, battery life). You wont know until you try it really.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles