Garmin nuvi 255w upgrade

Looking to upgrade from my current 255w to something with a larger screen. I am familiar and comfortable with how the Garmin works and I can navigate it well so I'm looking to stick with this. Main uses will be forest service roads as well as normal street driving navigation. The 255 has worked wonderfully for me, I would just like a larger screen. Any recommendations?

deserteagle56

Adventurer
Lots of options. I use an RV760LTM which has a 7" screen and great visiblity. Some years ago (when they were still available that way) I bought a DVD with the Garmin 100k topo maps; I loaded the 100k mapset onto a microSD card and put it into the RV760. So now I can select either the City Navigator maps if I'm in a populated area (rarely!) or the topo maps. This is what it looks like using the City Navigator maps:
P1001129r.jpg

Same location, switching to the Garmin 100k topo maps, note how much more detail the topo maps show. I find it very handy and easy to match up with the paper maps I carry.
P1001130r.jpg

You can find these units used/refurbished on sites like GPSCity.com and on Ebay and save money.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
The only Drive unit I've read anything about is the Garmin DriveTrack71. It is getting rave reviews because it comes with both City Navigator maps (free lifetime updates) plus the Garmin 100k topo maps also, so nothing else to buy. The DriveTrack 71 was actually designed for people who need to keep track of dogs but it has turned out to work well for general GPS work because it handles topo maps much better than any other automotive type GPS unit. You can google it and get lots of information. It's the unit I'll be buying next.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles