Garmin nuvi 200

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
I'm looking for a gps unit that will have memorized maps of offroad capable trails, waypoints and also be able to upload national geographic maps as well.

I was wondering if this is a capable unit? I really have never used a GPS and I have been reading up and saw some ppl have GPS 60sx and units like that from Garmin but I wasnt able to find them on the sites.

thanks for any help recieved, sorry if my topic is a little too overdone, just wasnt sure what to search for.

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
the only GPS I know of which will let you use National Geographic is the new Magellan Triton (not available as of yet, but see it here: https://www.magellangps.com/products/product.asp?segID=425

Most of the units all use proprietary mapping software, some are better for road, and some are better for trail.

Figure out what your uses will be: vehicle only, dual purpose (vehicle, then take it out hiking), hiking only with limited in-vehicle use, etc ... and go from there.

On Garmin's site, if you want something for the vehicle, look at ones suitable for motorcycles, as they will take the punishment of being offroad. I am not sure if the Nuvi series would take the abuse.

Once you know what your primary use will be, then start looking at units. There are some great deals to be had on eBay for "outdated" models that will work really well (I've seen some of the Lowrance iFinder color handhelds go for under $50) Garmin units, on the other hand, tend to fetch a premium price on eBay.

SEREvince

Adventurer
The Nuvi 200W seems like a steal!

Best prices that I have found

It does almost everything my $1000 Nuvi 670 does for almost 1/3 the price.

I love my 670 for on road travel. I have yet to try it overland, but that is not what is was designed for. I would not rely on it as my primary means of nav for off road. Same holds true for the entire Nuvi lineup.

For your purposes I would select either the eTrex Vista Cx or the 60. They both offer turn by turn directions on road and detailed topo maps for off road.

I personally have not used the 60, but I own several of the eTrex series.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Good information so far... just want to add this additional detail:

The Nuvi has one (in my opinion big) downfall. It only has the ability to trackback a route if it is on road. So picture this senario:

You leave the highway and head for a trail that isn't on your GPS map. You go deeper and deeper on the trail and realize you need to go back the way you came. But... it's getting dark... and you can't remember exactly which is the correct route back.

This is where your GPS comes in right?. You should be able to save your last tracks and then trackback. The problem with the Nuvi is that it will simply do a "as the crow flies" route straight back to the nearest road. A unit like the 60 will let you track back on your exact route as it leaves a breadcrumb like track in it's memory.

It's a simple thing, but it's the seperation line between a good on-road GPS and something that you can rely on in the bush. It's also the reason why a unit like the GPS 276c is so popular among members of this group.

Pete

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
thanks guys, i def have learned a lot about gps's so far.. just felt so freakin empty not having one thus far and not knowing anything about them

do appreciate the info.

ill let you guys know what I do and what I get and take some pics of my next expedition

pete.wilson

Adventurer
Hey

I work for Garmin here in Olathe, KS in the quality Assurance area and I can say they work very hard to give quality products with features people want most. If anyone has questions, problems, functions that could be implemented (like the trackback) in the future, call Customer Service and let them know, give them your suggestions. This is the best way to get the features you would like to see implemented. Also, ask about any specials or discounts on certain units, this is usually on older units but if it serves the purposes who cares if it's a couple years old in design. They have the best warranty going and the best Customer support. Check out the WAAS RINO 530's....sweet!

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
pete.wilson said:
Hey

I work for Garmin here in Olathe, KS in the quality Assurance area and I can say they work very hard to give quality products with features people want most. If anyone has questions, problems, functions that could be implemented (like the trackback) in the future, call Customer Service and let them know, give them your suggestions. This is the best way to get the features you would like to see implemented. Also, ask about any specials or discounts on certain units, this is usually on older units but if it serves the purposes who cares if it's a couple years old in design. They have the best warranty going and the best Customer support. Check out the WAAS RINO 530's....sweet!

What is the warranty on a Garmin unit? Say a eTrex Legend for example? I've got one I bought new that has given me issues since day one. The screen disappears or "blacks out" every once in awhile... a quick flip with the finger and it roars back back to life. Talked to the place I bought it from, they were never interested in doing anything about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles