Garmin InReach/Spot X any issues with cold temps?

Clutch

<---Pass
Any issues with the battery life, like on a smart phone?

Specs say the Garmin will do -20 and the Spot -4. Any real life experience if that is true?

I have a Spot Gen 3, and it seems to do ok, but I don't use rechargeable batteries in it.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Well this guy in Antarctica has one at this very moment. https://www.colinobrady.com/theimpossiblefirst/

(If you hunt for it, there is a link to his Mapshare on that page...)

But that doesn't really answer your question. Or maybe it does, whats the temperature at the South Pole today?

I think I'd keep it in a pocket closer to your body heat at any rate. It might still get signal through a coat.

Clutch

<---Pass
Well this guy in Antarctica has one at this very moment. https://www.colinobrady.com/theimpossiblefirst/

(If you hunt for it, there is a link to his Mapshare on that page...)

But that doesn't really answer your question. Or maybe it does, whats the temperature at the South Pole today?

I think I'd keep it in a pocket closer to your body heat at any rate. It might still get signal through a coat.

Thanks.

Have been wanting to upgrade, but still don't know which one to get. Was camping in 19º temps not too long ago, and my phone refused to work. Made me a little leery of the Garmin trying to blue tooth it to my phone. You can text without connecting to the phone correct?

I don't like that the batteries are built into the devices. Wish they didn't do that. Nice to carry just a couple extra battery packs, and not worry about trying to recharge them.

Last edited:

Airmapper

Inactive Member
You can text without connect to the phone correct?

Yes, the "big" inReach (Explorer and Explorer SE) do not need the phone at all to do their job. When you pair the phone it makes it easier to type, but you can manually enter text with the buttons, somewhat slowly but not too bad.

Now there is a new inReach mini, which is a tiny little version and it relies on the phone more I believe. I think it will still perform some functions without it, like send preset messages, but not free text.

Clutch

<---Pass
Yes, the "big" inReach (Explorer and Explorer SE) do not need the phone at all to do their job. When you pair the phone it makes it easier to type, but you can manually enter text with the buttons, somewhat slowly but not too bad.

Now there is a new inReach mini, which is a tiny little version and it relies on the phone more I believe. I think it will still perform some functions without it, like send preset messages, but not free text.

Thank you.

crazysccrmd

Observer
I don't like that the batteries are built into the devices. Wish they didn't do that. Nice to carry just a couple extra battery packs, and not worry about trying to recharge them.

The battery lasts four or five days with sending a few messages daily and tracking points every 30 minutes while moving. I carry a power pack and USB cable to recharge it if needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles