Garmin inReach SE+ Satellite Communicator at Costco for $289.99 (Aug 2018)

john61ct

Adventurer
If anyone comes across a good deal on tge Explorer+ version, please post a big retail one or just PM if a once off or secondhand.
TIA

Charles R

Adventurer
Thanks for the thread! I'd been thinking about one for awhile, and this thread was a perfect trigger. I got mine at the $289 price, and then requested a refund when they dropped it. They refunded the difference with no fuss.

I look forward to many trips of having it, but not needing it, in the future! Ha!

john61ct

Adventurer
I googled and found several reviews of exactly that question.

Include the previous brand name in your keywords.

dstock

Explorer
The screen is failing on my original Delorme InReach SE and even though I use it paired to my most of the time, it won't be long before I won't be able to see the options on the screen to even power on and off. There have also been some reports of the falsely triggered SOS even with the "safety" in place on the old models. All that said, if my screen wasn't failing I wouldn't have upgraded.

dstock

Explorer
Just to add to my previous post...

I got the new InReach SE+ and had it activated this morning. A quick phone call to Garmin got my plan switched to the new unit.

I haven't been out on the trail with it yet but I can already say performance wise it's a lot faster locking on to the satellites, sending and receiving messages, and this is from inside my office. Granted I have a window but the old InReach SE I'd have to go outside in the parking lot to get it to lock on the satellites. It does seem to be an improved version and I'm very happy to have taken advantage of the Costco pricing. The carabiner strap clip that hooks to the belt clip is nice accessory that comes with the unit.

I've ordered the powered mount for it for the vehicle and a Ram ball mount to go with it. I'll report back on how that works out.

Pappy

I've ordered the powered mount for it for the vehicle and a Ram ball mount to go with it. I'll report back on how that works out.

This mount rocks. It's the mount Garmin should have made for the 64-series GPS units. I just spent four days with the SE+ on my windshield and it worked flawless.

dstock

Explorer
This mount rocks. It's the mount Garmin should have made for the 64-series GPS units. I just spent four days with the SE+ on my windshield and it worked flawless.

I haven't used it yet but I did receive the mount. Seems very solid and I like the way the SE firmly snaps into place. Also the fact that it's usb powered is a huge plus in my book.

jgaz

Adventurer
I know this is late notice but Costco has a cyber Monday sale on the Garmin In Reach SE.

They say $60 off. That puts the price at just under $200.
That’s about $30 less than I paid for mine this fall.

BTW: I’m very happy with my Garmin so far.

Pappy

Just an FYI. Costco still has the inReach SE+ for $289.99. They don't list the Explorer.

john61ct

Adventurer
I got an "opened new" new-model Explorer+ off eBay for $178 a few months ago.

But I have auto-notify searches, a sniping service etc, most people don't go to that much trouble but I find it worth while.

And the eBay guarantee is not quite as good as CostCo must admit, but then better than most people realize.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles