Garmin inReach SE+ Satellite Communicator at Costco for $289.99 (Aug 2018)

4xdog

Explorer
Costco as of this writing (first week of August 2018) is offering the Garmin inReach SE+ Satellite Communicator as a members-only item for $289.99 shipping included. Item number 1256483.
https://www.costco.com/Garmin-inReach-SE+-Satellite-Communicator.product.100419295.html

cf-lg.jpg

outback_mick

I have no opinion on whether or not the price is good.

But, I have a very positive opinion of this device. Highly recommended.

And no, no affiliation with Delorme / Garmin. I just had the unfortunate opportunity to use the SOS function, and it worked.

If you don't mind us (me) asking, what exactly happened?

GB_Willys_2014

If you don't mind us (me) asking, what exactly happened?
No worries. :)

I do a lot of backcountry hiking in the Grand Canyon, and some years ago decided to carry a PLB after witnessing another party use their uni-direction SPOT.

I choose the then Delorme InReach SE because of the text feature.

Anyhow, this past spring I was hiking down the Hermit Trail with my daughter for a 2 night stay at Hermits Creek. Unfortunately, she took a tumble and tore a ligament in her ankle.

We were not going anywhere, and I decided to declare an SOS.

Garmin GEOS responded within 15 minutes.

NPS helicopter was on-site within 2 hours.

My daughter was at the Flagstaff ER within 5 hours.

I fully expected to spend the night on the trail, and so was relieved when this beautiful bird arrived so quickly:

outback_mick

Garmin GEOS responded within 15 minutes.

NPS helicopter was on-site within 2 hours.

My daughter was at the Flagstaff ER within 5 hours.

Glad to hear things worked out. I'm going to pick one of these up at Costco, precisely because of stories like yours. The SOS feature is one of those things that you hope you never have to use, but if you use it once in your lifetime, it was worth whatever you paid for it.

GB_Willys_2014

Glad to hear things worked out. I'm going to pick one of these up at Costco, precisely because of stories like yours. The SOS feature is one of those things that you hope you never have to use, but if you use it once in your lifetime, it was worth whatever you paid for it.
Absolutely, correct.

The text feature is especially nice. And, I do use it a lot.

I don't use the map share feature, but I know that people do like it.

4xdog

Explorer
GB, do you have any advice about the various Iridium subscription plans offered for the Garmin inReach SE+?

GB_Willys_2014

GB, do you have any advice about the various Iridium subscription plans offered for the Garmin inReach SE+?
I have the most basic, least expensive montly plan. It costs something like $13/month, and outbound texts are like $0.10 each.

For me, the fee structure for unsubscribing/subscribing worked out to be more than just leaving it on full time. Plus there is the convenience of having it, and not having to plan for it.

The couple of extra dollars for texting every so often does not bother me. And frankly, I haven't even checked on other plans since I started.

I have been thinking recently, however, about purchasing SAR insurance. Not yet sold on the idea, but considering it.

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer

I have the basic plan for just keeping it in my truck but you can upgrade and lower your plan on a monthly basis if you decide to do so. For my ID BDR trip last month I upgraded to the highest level so I'd have unlimited texting ability (main reason I bought mine so I could keep the wife informed about where I was). As soon as I got home I dropped it back down to the basic level. It does cost each time you do it but still worth the price.

4xdog

Explorer
...and now not only out of stock, but showing "item not found"! Ya gotta move fast at Costco or on Costco.com. (I didn't even get one -- thought about it too long!)

GB_Willys_2014

Just out of curiousity, who paid for the helicopter?

Not me personally, or more precisely, I have not yet received a bill.

Now, five months later, I don't expect to get a bill, but ... one never knows.

A couple of things to note:

I had a valid backcountry permit, and the lead medic classified our SOS call as a legitimate emergency. Otherwise, I believe I would have been billed for the helicopter.

This, however, is why I am strongly considering SAR insurance.

BTW, over the years, I have heard many anecdotal stories of Grand Canyon helicopter "rescues" for non-emergencies resulting in fees (>$5K).

I am personally aware of one other Grand Canyon helicopter rescue that didn't result in fees (AFAIK) because the injured party had a permit and a legitimate emergency. (This is another story in and of itself. It worked out okay, but it was a LONG night for all involved.)

outback_mick

I was never a Scout myself, but I'm sure many here were. I still keep their motto in mind anytime I'm out in the wild (and potentially changing my place on the food ladder).

Be prepared.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior