Garmin inReach for Papua Backcountry

wltrmtty

My son will be flying in and out of remote villages in the Papua backcountry. He currently has a Garmin SPOT, but I'm wondering if the inReach would better serve him for emergency communication.

shade

My son will be flying in and out of remote villages in the Papua backcountry. He currently has a Garmin SPOT, but I'm wondering if the inReach would better serve him for emergency communication.
Garmin makes the inReach product line; SPOT is another, similar product. To add some confusion, Garmin bought inReach from Delorme a few years ago, so you may occasionally see Delorme inReach mentioned. My advice would be to avoid any of the older Delorme inReach products when shopping, and only consider the newer Garmin options.

You may try to find out how people in that area fare with an inReach or SPOT. Heavy forest will degrade the signal, and I believe the inReach units have more broadcasting power than SPOT, so they may be a deciding factor if your son will be in the forest much. If you decide on an inReach, there are three models available, with the mini being the smallest. I prefer the larger Explorer+ model since it can be used for navigation in a pinch, but the size of the mini appeals to some.

@DaveInDenver has some technical expertise with satellite communications.

Howard70

Adventurer
I agree with Shade’s suggestions. Two additional considerations:

1. Ease of keying - Both units started out as emergency communications devices but have now combined remote texting with emergency communications. The Garmin units with which I’m familiar (and use frequently) have relatively cumbersome keying (navigate around screen to select letter). One of the SPOTs I’ve seen (but not used) has an actual keyboard that appears easier to use. This is a moot point if one uses their smart mobile device as an interface with the satellite unit as keying is done on the mobile device. Disadvantage to mobile device is two batteries (mobile & satellite device) to keep charged up.

2. Cost of service. Basic emergency communications for either system is relatively cheap. Adding text messaging becomes more costly, but still reasonable (at least it seems reasonable to me compared the SSB marine phone we used 20+ years ago). If you estimate the number of messages he’d likely send and receive in a month then check the plans of both systems & see what appears cost-effective. For us the Garmin systems out well as we change the level of service monthly depending on our travel plans.

If your son is working through an agency (Peace Corps, AID, etc.) you might check with them about recommendations, legality, etc. To us a satellite communications device seems innocuous and we might carry one without a second thought. That view might not be shared by a member of the military or law enforcement agency in another country. I doubt there would be a problem, but it could be a good idea to check ahead of time.

Howard Snell

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Dense foliage can impede the device seeing the sky. Messaging is not always instant and can take while. I've used my InReach in Iraq and Afghanistan without any issues .

I would use my smart phone to connect to the device. The downside to that the smart phone will have a short battery life if used to communicate with the device if left on all the time.

A Garmin GPSmap 86i or InReach Explorer + might be a solution. Just be sure there is a way to send custom messages without a cell phone.

Subscriptions vary as to how many text messages a month one wants to send.

SquirrelZ

What ever you get, test it thoroughly. I had a Garmin InReach Mini for 5 or 6 months. It was the most unreliable communications device that I ever owned. It only successfully sent a message about a third of the time that I attempted to send a position update to friends. I'd do the self test, which supposedly showed that it was in communications with one or more satellites, then immediately try to send a message. Many times I'd wait 5 or 10 minutes and the message wouldn't be sent. A few times I was in deep valleys so I was not surprised that it didn't get a message sent. Other times I was in very open country and it still didn't work. Most of the time I was using it in Alaska, but it was equally mediocre in Utah and California. I returned it to REI for a refund. Perhaps I had a bad unit. But I felt the design was fundamentally flawed since it had no indication of which satellites it was in touch with. That's a standard feature on all GPS units that I've used. Plus the self test was totally worthless.

Howard70 has an excellent point about checking on the legality of any emergency rescue beacons or satellite communication equipment in another country.

You might also try to find out if Papua has any search and rescue (SAR) agreements with the US Coast Guard. As strange as it may seem, the USCG will in some cases coordinate with US military forces to do searches in some countries. I was involved with a search for a missing boat in Micronesia while on a USAF C-130. (We did not find the boat.) If there is a SAR agreement, consider a Personal Locator Beacon, also known as a 406 beacon. That's an emergency only device that will get a SAR response in any major country. The USCG Rescue Coordination Center in Hawaii might be helpful in addressing what SAR resources Papau has available. https://www.pacificarea.uscg.mil/Our-Organization/District-14/D14-Staff/JRCC/

shade

What ever you get, test it thoroughly. I had a Garmin InReach Mini for 5 or 6 months. It was the most unreliable communications device that I ever owned. It only successfully sent a message about a third of the time that I attempted to send a position update to friends. I'd do the self test, which supposedly showed that it was in communications with one or more satellites, then immediately try to send a message. Many times I'd wait 5 or 10 minutes and the message wouldn't be sent. A few times I was in deep valleys so I was not surprised that it didn't get a message sent. Other times I was in very open country and it still didn't work. Most of the time I was using it in Alaska, but it was equally mediocre in Utah and California. I returned it to REI for a refund. Perhaps I had a bad unit. But I felt the design was fundamentally flawed since it had no indication of which satellites it was in touch with. That's a standard feature on all GPS units that I've used. Plus the self test was totally worthless.

Howard70 has an excellent point about checking on the legality of any emergency rescue beacons or satellite communication equipment in another country.

You might also try to find out if Papua has any search and rescue (SAR) agreements with the US Coast Guard. As strange as it may seem, the USCG will in some cases coordinate with US military forces to do searches in some countries. I was involved with a search for a missing boat in Micronesia while on a USAF C-130. (We did not find the boat.) If there is a SAR agreement, consider a Personal Locator Beacon, also known as a 406 beacon. That's an emergency only device that will get a SAR response in any major country. The USCG Rescue Coordination Center in Hawaii might be helpful in addressing what SAR resources Papau has available. https://www.pacificarea.uscg.mil/Our-Organization/District-14/D14-Staff/JRCC/
Sounds like a bad unit. Did you replace it with something, and how did that work for you?

SquirrelZ

Shade- No I have not bought any other satellite communications device. Since I do a lot of hiking, size and weight are key issues. If I could find a smaller Personal Locator Beacon I'd be tempted to get one of those.

Yes, I most likely had a defective unit. I have a good friend that guides all summer up in the Brooks Range (northern Alaska) and he loves his full size InReach. Its been a work horse for him.

shade

Shade- No I have not bought any other satellite communications device. Since I do a lot of hiking, size and weight are key issues. If I could find a smaller Personal Locator Beacon I'd be tempted to get one of those.

Yes, I most likely had a defective unit. I have a good friend that guides all summer up in the Brooks Range (northern Alaska) and he loves his full size InReach. Its been a work horse for him.
I used to carry an ACR ResQLink PLB. Not much larger than a flip phone, no subscription fees, as reliable as any. I still have it, but I leave it in the truck since it's due for service and the battery has timed out. Probably still works, though.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The Mini has had some firmware updates to fix issues. I know some people like them but I've heard of enough problems that I've been holding off considering one. The larger InReach devices have a solid reputation with plenty of history, I'd have no issue with those if two-way was desired (I don't feel the need personally).

So I stick with my Gen 3 SPOT, which has done everything I've asked of it for a few years now so I just don't feel compelled to spend money unnecessarily. Personally if I was buying something at the moment it would be just to get an ACR PLB like @shade mentions or truthfully, if I broke my SPOT I'd probably just buy another.

I don't know with certainty either way but I don't see why SPOT/Globalstar would not work in Papua. It's within their indicated fully two-way and SOS coverage area apparently through their owned gateway in Singapore and three independent gateways across Australia.

Last edited:

shade

The larger InReach devices have a solid reputation with plenty of history, I'd have no issue with those if two-way was desired (I don't feel the need personally).
I haven't used mine nearly as much as some, but it's been a solid product for me. Being able to adjust the subscription plan as needed was what made me finally commit to a two-way system, and the Explorer+ does a good enough job as a navigation aid that I think it's worth the additional bulk over the mini. Iirc, the Explorer+ does have better battery endurance than the mini, and there may be a few other small differences.

I'm curious if there's a technical reason that prevented Garmin from including full featured GPS functionality in the Explorer+, or if it was just a product placement ploy to drive sales of their GPS units. I'm sure I'd still prefer the larger, higher resolution screen on my phone, but I think the crummy mapping of the + has an impact on sales.

DaveInDenver

If I was guessing Garmin being Garmin it's simply product line decision. If you want one physical device and not have a GPS receiver Garmin isn't going to let you get away cheap. Their traditional bread-and-butter is GPS receivers and maps.

That's a significant reason I stick with SPOT, I have navigation solutions that work for me. Especially on bike I have an eTrex 20x on my stem and run the SPOT on my backpack. My logic is (1) that running the GPS receiver there is easy to see and operate but vulnerable to loss and damage so (b) I want my tracker and SOS to be positioned on me and somewhat protected. Plus if I fall and would be thrown from my bike it stays with me and not the bike. Same with hiking and skiing, I want the SOS device mounted securely where I can reach it without digging in a backpack and it won't fall off or get broken in a fall. So the SPOT Gen 3 and InReach Mini form factors work IMO.

In the truck I could physically replace the GPSMap 78 I typically use with an InReach seamlessly, other than perhaps losing the NMEA serial I/O that use for some ham radio applications anyway. I also use an old Android phone for maps and some ham stuff. So same reason there, it's just easier and cheaper to stick with a dedicated satellite tracker I run stand-alone than to mix that function with other devices I tinker with.

Last edited:

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
[/QUOTE]

Do you want him to be able to communicate, say hi and I'm OK? Initiate a Search and Rescue (SAR) ? If he is flying , the A/C should have an ELT that will activate upon an emergency situation.

You need to tell us what it is you are looking for. A simple PLB can start a SAR . Or better yet get him a Breitling watch like I have.

watch001.jpg

shade

Or better yet get him a Breitling watch like I have.

View attachment 563881

Hueys and a Breitling Emergency?
Well, aren't you special! :)

Good points about the intended use of the device. Basically, calling for Search & Rescue while on his own, or adding the capability of 2-way messaging to SAR capabilities. I vote for the latter if this is to be more than a one-off trip of a few weeks.

Here's recent, in-depth review of the inReach Explorer: https://hikingguy.com/hiking-gear/in-depth-garmin-inreach-explorer-review/

inReach Mini: https://hikingguy.com/hiking-gear/in-depth-garmin-inreach-mini-review/

ACR ResQLink: https://hikingguy.com/hiking-gear/acr-resqlink-view-plb-review-acr-plb-or-garmin-inreach/

The reviews ring true to my experiences with a ResQLink & Explorer+.

Last edited:

shade

The Mini has had some firmware updates to fix issues. I know some people like them but I've heard of enough problems that I've been holding off considering one.
Here's a list of updates since June, 2018. Looks like Garmin has been busy.

DaveInDenver

Here's a list of updates since June, 2018. Looks like Garmin has been busy.

Seems like the important core features have been stable for some time. I imagine there's some learning curve since the Mini was I believe designed completely by Garmin so no legacy debugging of a mature device to inherit from DeLorme.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz