Garmin GLO 2 troubleshooting

HSL

I just purchased a GLO 2 to use with my WiFi only iPad Air 2. Can you not use apple maps or google maps for turn by turn directions with this set up? The only setup instructions I have found is to connect the two devices with Bluetooth, and then your iPad should have navigation “ready to go.” This has not been the case.

When pulling up a map app, with the iPad not connected to WiFi but connected to the GLO 2, the app tells me it can not provide directions because the iPad is “offline” or “not connected to the internet.”

Is there a way to fix this, or is this how it is for everyone?

Attaching some photos for examples

Attachments

• E479F987-9B7C-48D8-A56B-26CAD908A842.png
    E479F987-9B7C-48D8-A56B-26CAD908A842.png
    80.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 414B703F-8CE2-43E6-9970-E9FA3BC8EFC5.png
    414B703F-8CE2-43E6-9970-E9FA3BC8EFC5.png
    990.9 KB · Views: 9

Howard70

Adventurer
Hello HSL:

I think the GLo 2 is simply a GPS receiver. Thus it provides your iPad Air 2 with latitude & longitude coordinates so that the device knows where it is. I'm more familiar with the Android / Windows world than the Apple universe, so the following may not apply to your devices. Basically, you need to download the maps you'll want to use when out of WiFi contact so that the device has a background upon which to display the position. Google maps allows you to download large areas as "offline" maps, so you could prepare by downloading the regions you plan to travel. Once those maps are on your device they remain accessible for a limited time before you need to update them - all explained in Google Maps. With an appropriate offline Google map, you can navigate with turn by turn instructions fairly well. Such navigation is better if you have a connection when you set the route, but even without a connection you can get some of Google's navigation services.

There are other mapping applications that allow downloading maps for offline use. Gaia is one and there are many others. I've been spoiled by Google Maps turn by turn so I'm not very familiar with other programs providing that service.

Good luck,

Howard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne