Garmin Aquires Delorme Publishing and Delorme InReach

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Just got an email that Garmin acquired Delorme. According to the link below, this is probably old news. So I will apologize up front, if this has already been posted.
According to the email the InReach services will stay the same, except for the name on the billing.
Don't know how it will affect the future of InReach, but *maybe* down the road we'll see a better InReach Navigation GPS. :)

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/garmin-completes-acquisition-delorme-120000608.html;_ylt=AwrTcd1ahNhWBS0AKPwnnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTByb2lvbXVuBGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Interesting. InReach is awesome. But I have always found delorme lacking in GPS units. Don't know why!

gunnermoose

Adventurer
I have been running an InReach since 2013. My fear is that Garmin will take it and increase the service prices. Sure you will be grandfathered in at current rates, but if a new feature is added you will have to convert and pay whatever the new service fees are.

I have been real happy whit the way the service and functionality has improved over the years.

jeep670

Adventurer
Fyi, InReach Canada just raised the prices... Got an email less than an hour ago with the new pricing.

jeep670

Adventurer
Well, here they blame it on the weak CAD $ but we all know if the CAD gets stronger they won't lower the prices..

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Well having been a fan of ANYTHING but Garmin for years I am not sure I am happy about this.
Been running Delorme Topo on a netbook for a long time, love my InReach and can't stand that Garmin has shunned the use of Mapsource on a laptop in a vehicle for years.

Oh well, since I can't afford to buy Delorme myself I guess I will have to wait and vote with my dollars depending on what changes are made.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Just like our gas prices....blame high oil costs for high gas prices at the pump. and now they are down to like early 90s prices for a barrel of oil, we still pay almost a dollar a liter. DONT MAKE SENSE! when I got my licence in 94, gas was 64 cnt a liter here with barrel costs of 20.99. a barrel right now is 22.89 the last time I checked which would indicate around a 70 c ilter gas price at the pump. hmmmmmm

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I'll be keeping an eye on things, as I have a "pay as used" plan. Now I just need to get the time to actually "use" the InReach again.
Would really be cool if InReach was able to collaborate with the Garmin navigation engineers and product folks. They could come out with a competition killer of a device at a reasonable price.

1leglance

Oh please NO, don't let Delorme and Garmin work together on anything.....

Garmin is still stuck way behind in the GPS device world. Look at their focus on stand alone devices and the price points.

Delorme at least understand that people use smartphones and they make sure there are apps to connect the InReach to a phone to enhance the user experience.

Also Garmin killed it's software for laptop/netbook/tablet mobile use.
Delorme Topo works great on my netbook on my center console.

Will be interesting to watch.

1leglance

Actually when it comes to paper I have been using the Benchmark series here in the western US, same large book format, I just like the colors and info as a backup to my netbook nav.

Uboatcmdr

Just like our gas prices....blame high oil costs for high gas prices at the pump. and now they are down to like early 90s prices for a barrel of oil, we still pay almost a dollar a liter. DONT MAKE SENSE! when I got my licence in 94, gas was 64 cnt a liter here with barrel costs of 20.99. a barrel right now is 22.89 the last time I checked which would indicate around a 70 c ilter gas price at the pump. hmmmmmm

well out west here in calgary it was common to be paying 60 cents/liter for a while back in jan/feb?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles