Garmin 76CSx

TxEddie1111

Observer
OK guys, I'm a bit brain-dead when it comes to IT electronics so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I just bought the aforementioned GPS. I plan to install it in my "76 HJ45 (expedition plans... Here's the question(s):

(1) How do I get the off-road maps (Topo or National Geographic) on my Garmin?
(2) How do I get the Garmin display to show up on my laptop (which is what I want to use as a monitor?
(3) The GPS has VERY little detail as I see it. How do I "turn up the details"??

See, I'm a newbe!

Ask me about world travel, corrosion protection and investing and I'll knock yer socks off!

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Read the instructions !

Install mapsource on your lap top- connect GPS- done

Install Topo software connect GPS choose map areas and download

Most GPS are sold with world map or Northamerica base map,,,,,for local stuff you'l either need the topo software or city

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
OK guys, I'm a bit brain-dead when it comes to IT electronics so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I just bought the aforementioned GPS. I plan to install it in my "76 HJ45 (expedition plans... Here's the question(s):

(1) How do I get the off-road maps (Topo or National Geographic) on my Garmin?
(2) How do I get the Garmin display to show up on my laptop (which is what I want to use as a monitor?
(3) The GPS has VERY little detail as I see it. How do I "turn up the details"??

See, I'm a newbe!

Ask me about world travel, corrosion protection and investing and I'll knock yer socks off!

I have the same GPS unit and love it. I do like National Geographic Topo maps better but you can't load them directly into the Garmin GPS unit. You can run your NG topos on a laptop and use the attached GPS to display your current location on the laptop.

For the Garmin maps in the GPS the base maps that come with them are pretty basic, you will want to purchase the Garmin City Navigator and Garmin Topo with Mapsource to manage and load the maps you want in the GPS.

There are websites out there that do provide some custom detailed topo maps that you can load into the GPS but that take a little education and time to figure out. I would hold off on the custom stuff until you are comfortable with the standard Garmin map products.

Hope that helps. :sombrero:

Edit: If you want to get geeky and dig into GPS deeper here's a great forum to discuss GPS from all angles: http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=11

Last edited:

TxEddie1111

Observer
Thanks guys, (Point well taken UK 4 X 4...had that coming. but, I did read <pretty close> and I just get brain frozen with this kind of stuff...)

So, I have already loaded the Mapsource on my computer (question, does Mapsource have to be on the laptop I plan to keep in the vehicle with disc running?? or can I use my desktop to manage the gps downloads; somehow transferring all this new data to my gps, then hook up my laptop <mini notebook Aspire-no DVD or CD drive>) to use as the monitor for the gps?

I suppose, Tucson, that I will need to have a notebook/tablet PC (or whatever) that I can somehow load the NG maps, City Navigator and Garmin Topos directly onto the laptop/tablet that will be in the hj45? So I'm thinking, I need a laptop/tablet PC with a DVD drive??

Finally (for the moment), do I load these softwares (NG, Topos, etc) to the laptop (or, hopefully my desktop) via Mapsource somehow? Or, do I load them on the laptop and everything is "plug-n-play"??

Thank you SOOOO much,

Eddie

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
To manage the maps on your GPS you will need Mapsource and the Topo and City Navigator maps you want loaded on either your desktop PC or laptop.

That will give you the ability to load the maps you want on the GPS unit.

Once you see the Garmin maps and how they work for you you can then decide about what you want loaded on the laptop for in your vehicle. If all you want is the best topo display then I would use your National Geographic topo map program in the laptop attached to the Garmin GPS.

If you want to also use the laptop for street navigation and or the Garmin topo maps are good enough for you then just load Mapsource and the Garmin maps on your Laptop and use that maps set.

Choices, choices...they never end. :sombrero:

A laptop with a CD/DVD player would make it easier but you may be able to just download the software from the Garmin site directly to your laptop without a DVD reader.

BTW, if you have a large enough memory card in your GPS it will hold an amazing amount maps. I have 1GB memory card and I have the entire US street maps as well the western half of the country's topo maps. I haven't had to reload maps sets in 2 years since that covers me everywhere I travel.

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
then hook up my laptop <mini notebook Aspire-no DVD or CD drive>) to use as the monitor for the gps?

Eddie,

You've misunderstood how this works. There is no "video out" to hook up a monitor to a GPS, nor is there anyway to use a laptop as a monitor for a Garmin GPS.

What the GPS can output is it's current lat/lon position. You can install software on your laptop that will use the position info from the GPS to keep USGS topo maps centered on your current location. This is what Overland Navigator does. You don't need a GPS as expensive as the 76CSx to do this though. I cheap $36 Globalsat BU-353 GPS puck does the job equally as well (same GPS receiver chipset on the inside). The Garmin 76CSx makes an excellent hiking/kayaking GPS.

There is also Garmin Mapsource which allows you to up/download waypoints, routes, and tracks to/from your GPS as well as Garmin proprietary maps (not USGS topos).

Craig

TxEddie1111

Observer
Ahhhhhh, thanks Craig. NOW, I see.

So, the 76CSx will be my gps receiver (and a handheld should i "crash and burn" the truck...).
I download ON to my notebook, connect the Garmin (as a receiver) to the notebook, then turn it on and it works... (I bet it's not quite that simple but generally speaking?)

So, on my notebook, I download ON, Colorado Topo maps and Satellite Imagery (I know you said this was optional, but...well, you know).

I'm about to log on to Spatial and begin....(cross your fingers....)

(Again, Craig, if my Aspire is not robust enough, I will be able to transfer the program(s) to another more suitable tablet PC or notebook...BTW, would an iPad work in this application???)

Holding breath.....:Mechanic:
Eddie

craig

Yes you understand things correctly.

Overland Navigator runs on a PC with Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 as an operating system. It will not run on the iPad since the iPad doesn't run Windows as an operating system.

Craig

Last edited:

TxEddie1111

Observer
OK, the downloading begins now...(had to go see my son's band play at Fitzgeralds (local Houston "up and coming bad" hot spot...

Thanks Craig!

TxEddie1111

Observer
OK, Craig, please check my order.

Should I just get the complete USA Topo? Would I miss any detail for Colorado?

Also, did i get the correct satellite?

And....what if i just bought a gps receiver (like the one you represent and just keep the 76CSx in my emergency "grab case-i-crash-and-burn-my-truck bag?

I really appreciate al the patient help...I'll give SS# so you can claim me as that long lost child.....

Thanks!

TxEddie1111

Observer
Oops! By the way....
I have to endorse Overland Navigator!

....the reason I haven't posted up until this point...is...it all works seamlessly.
Very nice work Craig!

I can't wait to hit the trails and utilize the maps. Thanks!

(seriously, ask Craig, I was ready to give him my SS# so he could claim me as a dependent; believing I would be bugging him with :
"how do I's"...but, not needed once I installed the software.

So, Craig, my SS# remains a secret!!
Cheers!
Eddie

craig

LOL -- Yeah, you seemed like you were expecting some sort of horrific installation process.

Craig

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz