garmin 276c question

XXXpedition

Explorer
hi everyone,
well, i've asked the question about which gps you would buy a while back...

now i've got the garmin 276c and a europe nt map. sounds good but i cannot load the map onto the gps. is it possible that i NEED a data card to add the map??? it looks that way because i always get a message telling me:
"the required memory to store maps is missing on your gps"

honestly, i can't see buying an expensive unit and can't use it because it doesn't have a memory for data upload, but have to buy a data card which costs another 150 euros!!!!

if so, are they out of their f#@$#@ing mind?
any tip appreciated
thanks
sven

ThomD

Explorer
You are correct. The 276C does not have built in memory.

150 Euros does seem pretty expensive. What size card is that?

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
The 276c needs the card to store any maps other than the OEM basemap. And yes, the Garmin cards are stupid expensive. Fortunately, they do hold lots of data. For example, a single 256 meg card held all the Mapsource maps for the western 2555 miles of the Trans-America trail, with room left over. That was somewhere in the neighborhood of 65 map files.

XXXpedition

Explorer
What size card is that?
256M

well, i think for the price they ask they could incl. a card too...
the cigaret lighter adapter is optional too but the home outlet is inluded.... where the hell do they think i use it??? at home?

ThomD

Explorer
I didn't realized that the 276c used Garmin-only cards. Ouch. The same card you listed is about $150 in the US. Very expensive for what it is.

I think "not programmable with usb-programmer" means that you have to put the card into a Garmin GPS, not any generic card reader.

With the GPS, the maps on CD/DVD, the cable and a memroy card you should be set.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I'm not sure what the issue would be with the USB cable....it works on the 256meg card (at least mine does)....but if they say it won't work, then, uh, it probably won't.

Anyway, the 256meg card will hold lots of data. Like I said, mine held the topo maps that covered over 2555 miles of trail.

As you see, the garmin accessories are expensive....they *really* like their stuff!

Oh, the 276c runs on 12vdc...so if you are open for a bit of wiring, you don't need the cigarette lighter plug thingie....just get the cable with the open ends (same cable, no plug), and wire it directly to some 12v source.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Gamin makes a special stand-alone USB card reader for their cards. The bigger 256 and 512 MB cards are not compatible with it. A USB connection to the 276c with the card in it works fine.

And $150 Euros for a 512 mb card is about right. I think they are about $175 CAD.

Pete

XXXpedition

Explorer
i ordered it... let's hope it gets in by the end of the week...

btw: the 256M card had the same note on the bottom.
not programmable with usb-programmer (?)

so i guess it's like mountainpete said.
Gamin makes a special stand-alone USB card reader for their cards. The bigger 256 and 512 MB cards are not compatible with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior