GAP Diagnostic– new products / IIDTool update announcement 12/2013

SteveMfr

Supporting Sponsor
Cost: our distributor is Britpart. All Britpart dealers can set their own prices to reflect shipping, local taxes, etc. As a supplier, we have been asked not to name prices. Forum sponsor Lucky 8 carries the IIDTool - give them a shout. Or google. As the price for the IIDTool Pro has not been set yet, I can say that this will cost roughly 3-4x what the IIDTool BT costs.

How does it compare to IDS:
- Functionality: nearly the same. The biggest differences prob remain in the CCF editing - whereby most important items are in place we add functions continually (once we have confirmed the function; see CCF post above)
- Speed in use: no comparison. You have finished with the IIDTool before the PC running IDS has finished booting. And you've had lunch after using the IIDTool before you've navigated to where you want to go in IDS.

Those would be the 2 biggest items of interest for a professional user. For more info please visit our website: www.gap-diagnostic.com
Or ask!

SteveMfr

Supporting Sponsor
Hi getlost,
No, unfortunately no P38 in the plans at the moment. We will cover all later LR models in the coming months - except for the P38. We will see, but right now we have excepted the P38 from our plans as we feel the investment would be too large. Undoubtedly there are still plenty of P38s running around but they are becoming cheaper every day and the average owner will not want to shell out even $400 on a diagnostic tool - that he still needs to learn to use too.

I still own a P38 as well, so I can feel for you (especially when I have to try to do something on it with my T1 8-o ).

zelatore

Explorer
Is the IIDtool w/Bluetooth for the LR3 shipping? I've been googling around but have yet to find the BT version for the LR3. No sign of it on Lucky8 or AtlanticBritish websites that I could find.

Don

Eniam17

Adventurer
Of course they come out with a new fancy one, after I just ordered 2 of the "old" ones from Justin that came a week ago! That's plenty for me for now. But this is a plug for Lucky8, they continue to be great to deal with so i'd recommend buying from them. They shipped 2 of them to me in Maine very quickly and offered all the support we need (and i'll probably need a lot)

umbertob

Adventurer
I also look forward to an Android version of the app, as I am tired of stealing my wife's iPad... However, at present - and at least until the latest enhancements detailed earlier in this thread are introduced to the public in March - you don't really need an iPhone to operate the unit, since you can access the same features and functionality using the steering wheel buttons. The iPhone/iPad interface gives you some obvious conveniences over steering wheel controls and instrument cluster display (touchscreen UI, can operate unit remotely / outside the car, more detailed information on DTCs available, ability to email fault codes to yourself, etc.), but that's about it currently.

SteveMfr

Supporting Sponsor
As Umberto said, you can use the IIDTool BT completely normally with the "Integrated Interface" using the vehicles cruise switchgear and cluster display. The BT is an option.

The simple Android controller app is already available on google play. You will need a BLE/Gen. 4 bluetooth capable device and an Android version that covers BLE. So far this is the Nexus 4, 5, and 7 (2013>) running Android 4.3. The BLE capable Samsung S3 and 4 do not work yet because Samsung has yet to implement BLE in their firmware. It is not us - the app is out there - it is google and the phone manufacturers who have been slow in implementing bluetooth 4.0/BLE.

The latest Windows version of the GAP Updater SW also has a simple controller app for Windows via USB (not bluetooth).

All that said, the iPad app which we will be releasing this month will only be released over time for other platforms - not because we don't want to but because we do not have the resources to develop for 4 platforms simultaneously. The next platform to receive an app with upgraded functions such as in the iPad app will be Windows (USB), then Android, then OSx (USB).

We have chosen iOS as our primary platform, though. (Am I imagining the groaning? :p)

umbertob

Adventurer
Steve, what's the app name on Google Play? I have a 2013 Nexus 7 with Android 4.4.2 and cannot find it, perhaps I am searching for the wrong app name. Also have a Droid MAXX, which has BLE, but Android 4.2.2. I assume that won't work?

Last edited:

PhyrraM

Adventurer
...... (Am I imagining the groaning? :p)

Nope... actual, real groaning from me. Last time I used an iPhone, iTunes was a horrid piece of software and the fixed battery let me down all the time. And those tiny, tiny screens. :wings:

I do applaud the efforts on the core IIDTool product though.

zelatore

Explorer
more of that groaning is coming at you from California. I ordered the BT unit and only too late realized Kit-Kat hasn't been released for my S4 yet. Rumor has it Samsung will be doing the release in Jan/Feb, but that's just conjecture. Though the wife has an iphone5, it's a work phone and locked down. We also have an iPad, but it's a first gen so that's also a no-go. Looks like I'll be dragging the Dell XPS12 out to the truck at least for a month or so.

iOS...bah!

axels

Adventurer
more of that groaning is coming at you from California. I ordered the BT unit and only too late realized Kit-Kat hasn't been released for my S4 yet. Rumor has it Samsung will be doing the release in Jan/Feb, but that's just conjecture. Though the wife has an iphone5, it's a work phone and locked down. We also have an iPad, but it's a first gen so that's also a no-go. Looks like I'll be dragging the Dell XPS12 out to the truck at least for a month or so.

iOS...bah!

Use the hard controls on the steering wheel. They work just fine. No need for a computer or anything else until your samsung firmware gets a well deserved update.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior