Galley and sleeping platform system

Leirbag

Here's my recent galley/sleeping platform build, in case it helps inspire anyone planning to build a galley/sleeping platform system. This is in an FJ Cruiser.

My guiding principles were:

1. Keep it as lightweight as possible
2. Accommodate a drawer fridge
3. Drawer system had to be easily removable (no permanent attachments)
4. Platform bed needed to be removable and easily transportable to/from vehicle
5. Rear seats had to stay in the vehicle
6. Had to look good :)

Here’s what the finished drawer system looks like:

1C735C68-8AA7-42D9-A01C-EE0C7FC90CF4.jpeg

To make the platform for the bed, I made three aluminum bars that engage with the back of the drawer frame on one side, and sit on top of the folded-up rear seats on the other. If you don't have the latter in your vehicle you would have to make some sort of leg for these bed spanners. The wood slats, which are pinned to the bars so the system becomes rigid after installed, obviously go on top of the three spanner bars. The slats and bars fit into a long duffel bag that is in a closet until I am going on a camping trip.

53D7137B-F087-47D0-894F-D5BA254C22D7.jpeg

The drawer frame structure is lightweight and made out of extruded aluminum. You will notice it is an open frame, as the aluminum is strong enough as it is and thus I did not need walls, etc. and I wanted to keep the weight down. It is held firmly in place in the rear with two turnbuckles (only the left one is installed in this picture). You will see that the rear seat backs are reclined flat, and the bottoms are pivoted up. The top of these provides the support for the bed spanners.

DED2154E-E683-4CD0-B9F2-B8A45928127B.jpeg

The drawer system is made of 1/2” Baltic plywood, assembled with pocket screws. I was planning to dissasemble the whole thing after making sure everything worked well and reassemble with wood glue and the pocket screws, but the structure was so strong with just the screws I did not bother with the glue. The big drawer slides on a 26” drawer glide and the one inside slides on a 24” drawer glide. They are push to open, so I installed a cam lock to hold them firmly in place while traveling.

The bottom (internal) drawer is meant for pots and pans, plates, and other miscellaneous cooking gear. The reason why that comes out of the big drawer instead of directly out of the aluminum frame is because if I was cooking and I needed to take something out of the bottom drawer I would have to shut off the stove and close it so I could open the bottom drawer and retrieve something from there. The nesting drawers solves this problem.

The big drawer has the cooking platform above which holds the 2 burner cooking stove, which in turn is attached to the floor of the platform with industrial strength Velcro. The 1lb propane bottle goes in the gap behind the stove, and connects to the stove with a flexible hose/regulator instead of the solid brass pipe/regulator that comes with the stove (which goes to the right of the stove, but I did not have the space for).

45058E8A-6A3F-4F65-8122-48955B2E5821.jpeg

C2227950-FA72-4048-9436-54220DCB3E7A.jpeg

6A72BCB5-3D49-417C-9250-C2C0259856B6.jpeg

83A38155-D4FF-4B78-AD48-7D06FDBEA0F2.jpeg

To install the platform bed, the front seats slide forward. The back rests also recline forward. It turns out that the driver seat back rest in the FJ Cruiser does not recline forward as much as the passenger seat so I had to perform surgery on the mechanism that controls this so now both recline the same, and provides sufficient room for the bed comfortable for a 6'1" person.

The rear seat bottoms recline forward and the back rests recline down, and the bed spanner bars attach to the top/rear of the drawer frame on one end using an L bracket and sit on the top part of the bottom seats on the other end. On top of that goes the wood slats and on top of that the mattress pad. The space above is not big, but it’s sufficient to turn around. The biggest challenge is getting in and out of the vehicle, but anyone reasonably fit can easily do it. If someone is claustrofobic this might not be a good solution but it does provide comfortable sleeping space for two. And, under the three bars (and on top of the rear back rests) there’s a giant 22cm tall space (and as wide as the vehicle and 113cm long) for storage of water jerry can and any other things you will need to carry.

3944E5A0-1C0E-493F-9165-B402AF434DF2.jpeg

F28FA245-62E0-401C-9453-1D38E2D13684.jpeg

4D2203AE-4AA8-4B6A-877F-4EA502964CF4.jpeg

Leirbag

The inflatable mattress goes on top of the bed slats:

77D26D1E-B634-41AF-843E-DF54C96B58D0.jpeg

These are miscellaneous photos of the components/construction:

8A6CCE25-31C4-483C-A049-E632463F223A.jpeg

890B4689-4731-4616-9E19-E284FFA63154.jpeg

9A8D9BFE-08A4-40B4-988D-E276FDCD023B.jpeg

8408F09D-265A-4AF8-83D9-86509568A4BC.jpeg

F344AA1B-45A9-412B-84E1-71DC548237E2.jpeg

13EE0D2D-697B-492B-842A-498EF221B631.jpeg

C43C6E29-9A11-41DE-925A-FF613C46136C.jpeg

EF26445B-069D-4704-84F4-B8407486F146.jpeg

1F96D5F5-BCB1-4852-BD87-52A483BC8ECE.jpeg

The system works quite well. The space above the sleeping platform is tight, which means it takes a little upper body flexibility to go in and out of the vehicle, but once you are in it‘s like a regular bed. I am 181cm (6’1”) tall and fit stretched out. I haven’t tried it with two people in there and it will likely be a little bit of a hassle getting in an out, but once inside both should be quite comfortable. The inflatable mattress is thick enough you don’t feel the slats underneath. Also, and this would be true of any sleeping platform inside of a vehicle, this makes a big difference when it’s cold outside. I was in the Anza Borrego desert over the Thanksgiving break and one night the temperature dropped to -5ºC, and I was fine inside the FJ and my friend in his tent was cold (even with a great sleeping bag).

krick3tt

Adventurer
Well done. Seems to be as much headroom as I have in my LR with my purchased drawer system. Looking back I would have been better off to have done what you did.

dra2120

That is a great way building a drawer system...I wish you were closer by to help me build something like that. Also, holy exhaust tips batman.

MattL

Adventurer
I commend your willingness to do this while living in what seems to be an apartment complex. Sanding in the bathroom made me laugh but you gotta use what you have. Nice work!

Leirbag

That is a great way building a drawer system...I wish you were closer by to help me build something like that. Also, holy exhaust tips batman.
Where are you located? If we are far and you need list of materials, dimensions, etc. I’d be happy to share.

Yes, this FJ has pretty cool exhaust tips. I suspect they are aftermarket but I am not sure as this is a Trail Teams edition so it may have special equipment like that from the factory.

Leirbag

I commend your willingness to do this while living in what seems to be an apartment complex. Sanding in the bathroom made me laugh but you gotta use what you have. Nice work!
That’s true! But it was a long table and it was well lit, so it worked. And the assembly on the camping table in the living room is surely amusing too!?

dra2120

Where are you located? If we are far and you need list of materials, dimensions, etc. I’d be happy to share.

Yes, this FJ has pretty cool exhaust tips. I suspect they are aftermarket but I am not sure as this is a Trail Teams edition so it may have special equipment like that from the factory.
I'm in New Hampshire. The first time through your thread, I can to the conclusion that you were in Europe. However, a second time through I'm not sure where you are.

Leirbag

I'm in New Hampshire. The first time through your thread, I can to the conclusion that you were in Europe. However, a second time through I'm not sure where you are.
Hahaha. I’m in San Diego, California. We are pretty much as far as we can get without crossing a border! ?

MattL

Adventurer
A fellow San Diegan! How do you like the fridge drawer? I have a 60qt ARB currently and have been looking at a drawer fridge to free up some vertical space. Do you feel like it loses its cold air quickly when opened?

dra2120

Hahaha. I’m in San Diego, California. We are pretty much as far as we can get without crossing a border! ?
Yea, that might be a little far for a visit. I would be interested to know more about the details of how you built it all. I'm trying to design an easily removable set of drawers for my truck, and your aluminum frame seems like a great way to do it.

Leirbag

A fellow San Diegan! How do you like the fridge drawer? I have a 60qt ARB currently and have been looking at a drawer fridge to free up some vertical space. Do you feel like it loses its cold air quickly when opened?
Well, the loss of cold air would not be that different from that in a larger fridge, as those also open from the top (albeit a smaller opening). Cold air stays mostly in because it does not rise. But I minimize the time opened which obviously minimizes the amount of thermal exchange with ambient air. Also keep in mind the amount of cold air in a packed refrigerator is relatively small. Most of the thermal mass is in the cold items in the fridge already, so opening for a few seconds is not really a big deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior