Gaia ROUTE without map download?

I have a Gaia Trial Membership and have downloaded their APP to my iPhone. When I create and save a ROUTE on the base Gaia TOPO map (while connected to the Internet), do I then also have to actively request a map download in order to see and use this new ROUTE (on a map) when driving “offline”?

Last edited:

dstefan

I dont believe so, but why? That would make me nuts! You can try it by turning off WiFi and cell data then clearing your base map to see if you can see the route. Routes, tracks, waypoints are independent of maps so should work. BTW, Gaia has a feature that lets you download maps to cover a route or track without you having to piece all the grids together for a particular route. Very handy and I think more efficient in using your storage.

Superduty

Adventurer
Have you downloaded the Topo Basemap for the area that you will be (the route)? If not, then you will need to download the map surrounding the route which is an option when downloading the route. If you don't download any "map" then you will see a route without a background map. This all assumes you will be offline and not have cell service. If you are within cell service area, then you don't need to download a map. But if you want to use Gaia when offline, you will need to pre download a map layer(s).

BTW, Gaia has a feature that lets you download maps to cover a route or track without you having to piece all the grids together for a particular route. Very handy and I think more efficient in using your storage.

Yes, that will make the process of downloading the needed maps SO much easier.
Thank You!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles