Gaia GPS and the National Parks layer

georgeofthedesert

Hello,
I am somewhat new to Gaia and I haven't really found an answer to this question so I'm hoping someone on here can help. When I use Gaia's National Parks layer while driving the map zooms in so far it's not usable. It's fine hiking but driving it's not useable at all. We are planning some trips coming up that will cover a few national parks (Big Bend/Death Valley/possibly a few others) and I would like to use that layer for the park roads and stuff. Am I doing something wrong? I tried to look real quick to see if there is an option to stop it from zooming when driving and didn't see anything. All of the other layers are great, I use the USFS maps while in national forests and they are great. So hopefully it's just a config setting I'm missing, I'm using Gaia on an iPhone.

-George

Howard70

Adventurer
I usually use GAIA on an iPad. I'm pretty sure that I can use two fingers on the touch screen to increase/decrease the scale of the map image displayed as I drive. Have you tired that? In the old days the GAIA mobile app had a handy "+" & "-" symbol that you could touch to increase or decrease the displayed map scale but they dumped that on the iOS version a while back.

Howard

skyfree

Are you talking about having it projected on your vehicle's screen using CarPlay or using the app on a mobile device? The mobile app is pretty buggy, but project it using CarPlay and it reaches a whole new level of frustration and buggy-ness. Using the iPhone app at least you can pinch zoom to whatever level you are comfortable with. I stuck my phone on a mobile mount and usually just use Gaia that way now. Howard (above) has figured out the ultimate solution which is to just use a GPS enabled iPad.

If you must use CarPlay, there is a zoom in/out + - function available if you press on the screen. It often does not respond however, which is probably what you are referring to.

ripperj

Explorer
Are you talking about having it projected on your vehicle's screen using CarPlay or using the app on a mobile device? The mobile app is pretty buggy, but project it using CarPlay and it reaches a whole new level of frustration and buggy-ness. Using the iPhone app at least you can pinch zoom to whatever level you are comfortable with. I stuck my phone on a mobile mount and usually just use Gaia that way now. Howard (above) has figured out the ultimate solution which is to just use a GPS enabled iPad.

If you must use CarPlay, there is a zoom in/out + - function available if you press on the screen. It often does not respond however, which is probably what you are referring to.

This was my summary with my 21 Ram.
I will admit to not spending a lot of time with it using CarPlay.
I now have a dedicated IPhone 12 Promax that I don’t have a phone plan on(I had the phone, an IPad would be better)
Still playing around with it, I think it’s going to be fine. (Although between the iPhone 12 Pro for maps,my iPhone mini for phone, the CarPly screen for music and my backup camera, it’s a bit much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

georgeofthedesert

Thanks for the replies. I am not using it with CarPlay, my truck doesn't have it but I wish it did. The issue is if I zoom out to see the map at whatever level as zoom is usable as soon as a I start driving it zooms back in. It zooms in to the point where the text for the map overlay is bigger than the iPhone screen (so unusable pixelated hell). That's why I was thinking there was a setting I'm not seeing to lock it in the zoom that I set it to. The issue is when I start driving after zooming out it zooms back in way too far to use. When hiking I think we are moving slow enough for it to not think we are driving. I haven't used the layer in a while, like 2 months, but figured I would ask here since there are probably a bunch of users that might have hit the same issue.

Snydmax

Hello,
I am somewhat new to Gaia and I haven't really found an answer to this question so I'm hoping someone on here can help. When I use Gaia's National Parks layer while driving the map zooms in so far it's not usable. It's fine hiking but driving it's not useable at all. We are planning some trips coming up that will cover a few national parks (Big Bend/Death Valley/possibly a few others) and I would like to use that layer for the park roads and stuff. Am I doing something wrong? I tried to look real quick to see if there is an option to stop it from zooming when driving and didn't see anything. All of the other layers are great, I use the USFS maps while in national forests and they are great. So hopefully it's just a config setting I'm missing, I'm using Gaia on an iPhone.

-George

George, did you try GIA in Big Bend National Park? How did it do? We are headed out there in a couple weeks. Previewing the map content on my desktop it looks a little weak, curious if you have any feedback

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles