Gaia...Got To Be Kidding Me!

PSea

Ok, so I'll admit up front, I'm new to gaia. I'm now planning a trip using their software. I've plotted a considerable number of waypoints w/ the intent of creating a route leveraging those waypoints. Only one problem.....the damn software makes all the waypoints so faint when you're creating the route, they're almost useless. It will UNNECESSARILY make the planning process much more time consuming. Who in their right mind decided "i got this great idea. We're going to hide the waypoints when people attempt to create routes." I mean, what the heck do they think people want waypoints for? Just for map markers?? Rather disgusted to learn this after all the work i put into creating waypoints. For all the raving i hear about Gaia, especially on youtube, how did they arrive at what has to be one of the dumbest decisions I could imagine for this type of software?? So, be warned. So glad I paid for a 5yr plan recently. not.

Leads me to my questions.
1. How do the rest of you get around this?
2. I would like a program that runs on Windows and Android, can be used offline, doesn't require special hardware to run...and avoids ridiculous developer decisions. What would you recommend?

Thanks!
ps. I've confirmed this with their support desk because I was sure I was doing something wrong.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I Have no idea what you are talking about. See my attached screenshot. The red pins are manually entered waypoints. They read okay to me. Perhaps the map you are using overpowers them graphically? Another program function that will help you is the routing function. The system will show a big red line directing you to your waypoint (as a bird flies, not per the trail), so its even easier to see your destination. Alternatively, click "driving directions" and it switches over to Apple Maps and uses conventional street guidance. Good for trail head waypoints.

Typical Waypoints (red pins):
IMG_6276.jpeg

If you click on a waypoint, its name pops up, and an Information button (the blue"I" in a circle). Click the "I" and you get navigational options:
IMG_6279.jpeg

In this example, I selected "Guide Me" and the red line goes from my current location, to the way point in the most direct way. The read out at the bottom tells me the distance and time from that waypoint. It looks like this on the screen when I am not tapping on the waypoint itself to show the pop-up:
IMG_6278.jpeg

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I hope that helps. For what its worth, I am using a typical USGS topo map:

Attachments

• IMG_6280.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 41

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I'm talking about when you're making the route. Not after the route is completed.
Um...its the same. You load the map layer you want, click the + button on top, and "Create Route" and then enter your points. There should be a blue dot that shows up as you locate the points, and then press and hold to convert to a waypoint, give it a name, and move on to the next one.

PSea

Um...its the same. You load the map layer you want, click the + button on top, and "Create Route" and then enter your points. There should be a blue dot that shows up as you locate the points, and then press and hold to convert to a waypoint, give it a name, and move on to the next one.
you're missing what I'm saying. I've ALREADY created waypoints. I want to connect those waypoints via a route. I understand that once you're creating a route a blue dot appears that can be moved. But all the waypoints I made BEFORE attempting to make the route disappear as soon as I begin making the route. Appreciate the help but you're missing what I'm saying. Create 2 waypoints on a map. Now create a route to link those waypoints. You'll notice the waypoints you made fade out.

I think gaia could fix this a couple ways:
1. just don't fade out previously created waypoints when creating a route or
2. make waypoints a map layer or
3. differentiate between map markers and waypoints and then do one of the following above

it's pretty annoying to start a route. then have to save it, click on the map to make waypoint visible again and then edit the route to where you think the next waypoint is.

TO_Socal

1 - Make the route
2 - Download the map where you will be off-grid
3 - Record your track (This will also guide you as you travel)

That's all there is to it.

PSea

lol.. starting to think expedition portal translated my post into chinese. I know how to create a route. I know how to download maps. the issue is the WAYPOINTS DISAPPEAR AS SOON AS YOU BEGIN TO CREATE A ROUTE. not sure how much more simple I can describe the issue.

WOODY2

Adventurer
I would ask at what point do you take deep breath and realize that numerous people have tried to show/explain how to accomplish what you want and obviously if they can do it it can be done so deep breath and good luck wishing you success.

dms1

Explorer
lol.. starting to think expedition portal translated my post into chinese. I know how to create a route. I know how to download maps. the issue is the WAYPOINTS DISAPPEAR AS SOON AS YOU BEGIN TO CREATE A ROUTE. not sure how much more simple I can describe the issue.

I just tested this on the Gaia website and see what you are saying, the waypoint markers almost become transparent. I make my routes in basecamp and mapsource and import them to Gaia. Might start looking into onx as well, been hearing a lot about it lately.

PSea

I would ask at what point do you take deep breath and realize that numerous people have tried to show/explain how to accomplish what you want and obviously if they can do it it can be done so deep breath and good luck wishing you success.
lol. yeah, ok. another who doesn't understand the problem i'm pointing out. but thanks for helping.

PSea

I just tested this on the Gaia website and see what you are saying, the waypoint markers almost become transparent. I make my routes in basecamp and mapsource and import them to Gaia. Might start looking into onx as well, been hearing a lot about it lately.
alas! thank you for confirming i'm not nuts!

PSea

Update: working with their development team on some solutions. Glad to hear they're open to ideas. Credit to them for that! Now let's see if they can fix it!

roving1

I test made a route with 10 different layers and I don't get what is stopping you. You can definitely argue that it is making it more transparent than it should, or the user should be able to configure it but the waypoints are still visible and if you turn on the labels even more so.

before.jpgafter.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior