G63 side exhaust pipe delete?

Prez462024

Hello, I have a 2017 G63 AMG. I am interested in removing the side exit pipes to gain extra ground clearance, and so that I may install rock sliders. What are the possible solutions to this issue? Can I replace the G63 side pipes with the down pipes from the G550? Should I have an exhaust shop modify the existing pipes?

Thank you.

Speedkills

Just cut the pipes off, or if you want go to a shop and have them cut them and put turn down tips on them. I removed the side pipes on my G too, they just get in the way too frequently when you are trying to climb up ledges.

Speedkills

Or, if you happen to want a cat back exhaust that sits up a little higher and doesn't exit out the side, MBRP makes one.

Prez462024

Just cut the pipes off, or if you want go to a shop and have them cut them and put turn down tips on them. I removed the side pipes on my G too, they just get in the way too frequently when you are trying to climb up ledges.
Thank you! I see you’re in Colorado too, I’m in Denver area. Is there a specific shop you took it to get the side pipes cut?

Did you notice any change in performance or loudness with the cut pipes?
817E882D-BCCA-4BDB-8417-6ACD72FDB460.jpeg
i want the clearance but I also want to install rock sliders and those can’t fit with the OEM tips.

Last edited:

Speedkills

I am running MBRP exhaust now to clear my rock sliders, stock mufflers ended up touching them. Cutting off the tips won't make much difference in noise but the MBRP is loud, very loud on a supercharged engine like mine, should be quieter on a turbocharged engine though.

Speedkills

No specific shop, but if you are looking for a good shop to work on your G in the Denver area who won't shy away from a modified rig check out Hoover Mercedes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles