G63 6x6

762X39

Explorer
It has bad flex because by design 6x6's don't allow for a lot of wheel travel. Prop shaft from one rear axle to the other is why. Pinz is independent all around and is as bad if not worse than this Benz for flex. The Volvo 6x6 is only slightly better than a Pinz and it is on leaf springs. So even a $500,000 Benz 6x6 is going to be limited with rear axle flex simply due to the nature of the 6x6 design. I would imagine though that a design similar to the Pinz but with long travel stuff, ie trophy truck style, would net the best flex on a 6x6 since the diff doesn't move up & down like on solid axle trucks. The main limiting factors with any 6x6 is the rear prop shaft between rear diffs. That and the turning radius is usually very poor. But traction wise, they drive up anything.

Cheers
Stop trying to be reasonable or make sense.If I could have one I would...:coffee:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Stop trying to be reasonable or make sense.If I could have one I would...:coffee:

Err...ok. :bigbossHL:

I would too, have one that is. I would have to remove the chrome stuff and black it out but even with crappy wheel travel, it is super sweet. Like most have said, if no funds are a problem, sign me up! And I am not a fan of glam(ping). But I would drive it any day if I was filthy rich. :)

bjowett

Adventurer
A little late here, but yes, those are Ohlins... They look to be the ORQ models, 16/46. Ohlins is great to work with, top notch stuff.

A few things of interest;
-Factory-backed G 6x6 for the CIVILIAN
-LeTech portals/underbody protection/etc (whenever have you seen a vehicle from the factory which incorporates a "tuner's" parts?
-Remote reservoir susp...reservoirs look like Ohlins, but logo doesn't look like Ohlins. Anyone get a close-up view of whose susp it's running?

Of course not coming to the USA.......

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
A little late here, but yes, those are Ohlins... They look to be the ORQ models, 16/46. Ohlins is great to work with, top notch stuff.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Just added them to an Audi S4 this past week--love them Ohlins!

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
We could build some for your G. :ylsmoke:

I think I can put $6k into something else. :elkgrin: (Reading your Tundra build thread now, impressive!)
Only Ohlins I've seen on a G so far are down in S. America; TT-N or something is the company. Thread on PointedThree discussing the Fox's, new Radflo's out I guess, and King's.

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
Nice Youtube video that shows the 6x6 in action, and compares it to a 'vanilla' G63. Nice way to spend $625K!

swb

Observer
Oh if only we could buy the army one with the single cab and big tray, I would prefer that without all the bling, even though they dont have portals.
Imagine the expo vehicle you could build on that base.
By the way, this 6x6 would not exist without the Australian Army requirement. I believe other armies are now ordering them.

IMG_4312.JPG

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Oh if only we could buy the army one with the single cab and big tray, I would prefer that without all the bling, even though they dont have portals.
Imagine the expo vehicle you could build on that base.
By the way, this 6x6 would not exist without the Australian Army requirement. I believe other armies are now ordering them.

IMG_4312.JPG

I agree, cool truck! Thing is as an overland platform it will have pretty limited uses. A 6x6 like that is designed to haul weight and if all six are locked, traction. Besides this it has no advantages at all.

It is long, has a horrible turning radius, suspension doesn't flex much at all, fuel costs more, ect ect ect. So while nice to dream about, the real world applications are limited. In open country I am sure it does well, but on tight trails, in the city, off camber situations, ect ect ect it will fail pretty hard.

Cheers

Capo

Happy Camper
G63 specced as the 6x6 but in 4x4 version?

Does anybody know if AMG has a 4x4 version of the AMG 6x6 in the pipeline?

That would be the ultimate G for me with its portals, heavy duty air compressor, powerful engine and that luxurious cabin. It should optimally be available as a four-door and also a two-door with the same wheelbase but pickup.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Does anybody know if AMG has a 4x4 version of the AMG 6x6 in the pipeline?

That would be the ultimate G for me with its portals, heavy duty air compressor, powerful engine and that luxurious cabin. It should optimally be available as a four-door and also a two-door with the same wheelbase but pickup.

Not that I've seen. I believe the 6x6's portals are LeTech's(French IIRC). You know there is a silver'ish G55 AMG s/c'd in the USA with the LeTech portals already on it. You could buy it and ship it to Switz. LMK if you seriously want the link--I'd have to dig thru my email for it. IIRC it was selling for $100k+ or something.

Capo

Happy Camper
Not that I've seen. I believe the 6x6's portals are LeTech's(French IIRC). You know there is a silver'ish G55 AMG s/c'd in the USA with the LeTech portals already on it. You could buy it and ship it to Switz. LMK if you seriously want the link--I'd have to dig thru my email for it. IIRC it was selling for $100k+ or something.

Thanks a lot but right now I don't have the funds nor space for a another car so please don't sacrifice time filtering through all your email. I appreciate your effort though, very kind of you. In CH I need a G with stock axles for the strict CH vehicle inspection but right after every inspection I could put the portals back on again I suppose. With the portals on I would risk being pulled over, getting a fine and forced to show up at the official inspection site within a certain time frame with the stock axles on. But that risk is worth taking. It is silly it has to be that way cause CH has signed so many law convergence deals with the EU so you would think they could trust a piece of kit with a German TÜV approval?! Nevertheless, I use Rommel mostly outside of CH where portals aren't a legal problem. Italy is a few clicks away and has great off-roading possibilities. At some point, buying the portal axles for my G400 is probably the way forward. However, right now I plan to enjoy Rommel with the coming minor lightness upgrades and shifting to 35" on 18" instead of my 265 on 16".

It's interesting MB AMG are outsourcing the axles for the 6x6 instead of using Unimog axles. The Öhlins suspension setup looks trick!

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Thanks a lot but right now I don't have the funds nor space for a another car so please don't sacrifice time filtering through all your email. I appreciate your effort though, very kind of you. In CH I need a G with stock axles for the strict CH vehicle inspection but right after every inspection I could put the portals back on again I suppose. With the portals on I would risk being pulled over, getting a fine and forced to show up at the official inspection site within a certain time frame with the stock axles on. But that risk is worth taking. It is silly it has to be that way cause CH has signed so many law convergence deals with the EU so you would think they could trust a piece of kit with a German TÜV approval?! Nevertheless, I use Rommel mostly outside of CH where portals aren't a legal problem. Italy is a few clicks away and has great off-roading possibilities. At some point, buying the portal axles for my G400 is probably the way forward. However, right now I plan to enjoy Rommel with the coming minor lightness upgrades and shifting to 35" on 18" instead of my 265 on 16".

It's interesting MB AMG are outsourcing the axles for the 6x6 instead of using Unimog axles. The Öhlins suspension setup looks trick!

Tibus portal setup is about $12k USD.

Regarding your 35s on 18"s, make sure to look at sidewall tire heights with the 18" wheels. Why not stick with a 16" wheel(Hutchinson beadlock like mine?) and run a 35" tire? That way you have lots more sidewall....or meet in the middle and go 17" wheel with 35" tire.

Probably too much work to re-engineer 'Mog axles for the G, although Hellweg had one(blue SWB cabrio--maybe a Wolf?) long ago that I think ORC did--see the Eurotruck Importers(USA) page for pics.

Capo

Happy Camper
Tibus portal setup is about $12k USD.

Regarding your 35s on 18"s, make sure to look at sidewall tire heights with the 18" wheels. Why not stick with a 16" wheel(Hutchinson beadlock like mine?) and run a 35" tire? That way you have lots more sidewall....or meet in the middle and go 17" wheel with 35" tire.

16" Hutchinson and 35" would mean an awesome footprint in sand considering the ultra low pressure permitted by the bead locks. I just switched to a bead lock system called Tubliss, to try on one of my dirt bikes and I'm curious to see what I think about the extra weight. That bike is in Spain and I'll try it out as soon as I arrive there. I saw a Tubliss test of a dirt bike rider pounding through rocky sections the whole day on not a low pressure tyre but a completely flat tyre! - Absolutely amazing! The Tubliss bead lock system locks the bead with an inner ultra high pressure thick skinned tube (not sure how the bead locks on the Hutchinsons?). I'm not sure if I'd like the weight of the Hutchinsons which is quite a bit more than a traditional alu-wheel. Also, I was recommended by my mechanic to run a stock MB wheel in order not to raise suspicion of structural modification amongst CH traffic cops - again, the silly rules forcing you to sub-optimise. I already have stock MB wheels in both sizes and both wheels are homologated for the G400 but only the 18" will allow the better AMG brakes which is another stock MB upgrade I plan on doing. I've got spoiled by the marvellous brakes on Arnold the G55 and I find the G400 brakes insufficient when loaded above a total weight of 3.000kg.

Of course I would have preferred the sidewall height of 16"/35", it is an off-road vehicle I want after all. But I was shown an 18" wheel shod with a 35" tyre, placed next to my 16" wheel and it looked all right. It will give a better footprint than my current 16" and it will allow for a brake upgrade. My mechanic also took me for an inspired drive on both tarmac and a bumpy forest road and these tyres are a noticeable improvement over my 16"/265. Those 35" tyres just absorb so much already before the suspension kicks in. I've never tried 35" tyres before, it's a floating feeling and it was interesting to try them in a G to get a crisp comparison. Admittedly, the springs on my mechanic's G500 is a bit smoother than on Rommel but clearly there is a difference between the two tyre setups.

Well, this looks like the direction I'm taking but nothing is written in stone since I have a complete set of wheels in both sizes.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke