G550 4x4^2 arrived at the dealer recently

Las Vegas G

With 3.0L diesel and 275/80R20 or 335/80R20 XZLs, I'd buy one.
I wonder what is the oil capacity of the portals? 404 Mogs are as little as 250ml, U500s are 700 ml.
Portals add a whole dimension to maintenance and potential problems. I don't think most potential owners of this vehicle realize it, however.

Charlie

Oil capacity of the LeTech Portals is 1/2 liter each corner of course. No new dimension to maintenance or potential problems with the Portals, someone is going to have to try REAL hard to break one of them! Maybe if one gets hit by a train or drives off of a cliff, that might break one.

Potential problems with the portals are for the guy behind you that doesn't see the object in the middle of the road that you just straddle and drive right over, or for the Jeep behind you on the trail that is following too close and doesn't see the 17" rock you just drove right over!

Las Vegas G

One was spotted at the cars and coffee in Charlotte. A friend that works at MB in Miami said they had delivered one as well.

Where are the Hutchinson Bead Locks, off road tires, and CTIS system? Kind of sad those items were left off and they went with the hot wheels look. There are no words to describe the "Westin" rear bumper. ;<)View attachment 389965

Hutchinson Bead locks and CTIS systems are available through me if anyone is looking!

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
I've actually done that on purpose in my Unimog. Was being tailgated (common issue when your 0-60 time is immeasurable) and strattled a construction pylon. The VW golf riding my @$$ was in "follow while texting and driving" mode and didn't see it, it wedged under his car making a heck of a racket.

Las Vegas G

Well, the 6x6 was a Brabus model, wasn't it?

NO this is a common misconception! Brabus had nothing to do with it! LeTech made the first three 6x6's, you can tell which ones they are by looking for the seam between the truck bed and the main cab, the original three made by LeTech were solid. These are the ones in all the very early videos and in all the movies. Only the production models had a separate bed and cab.

The only thing Brabus did on these was pump up the power and put a bunch of flashy carbon fiber parts on them like their fake hood scoop.

marcantoine77

Observer
7ed3de3493e7935fe71fcf995fe2d6be.jpg

For Sale in Lugano

Great !!

Envoyé de mon SM-N910F en utilisant Tapatalk

Las Vegas G

I've actually done that on purpose in my Unimog. Was being tailgated (common issue when your 0-60 time is immeasurable) and strattled a construction pylon. The VW golf riding my @$$ was in "follow while texting and driving" mode and didn't see it, it wedged under his car making a heck of a racket.

Yeah I have been driving my Portal axle G's, 2005 G500 with the first set of LeTech Portals ever made, and my 2014 G63 with LeTech Portals around for the past 3 years and I get people all the time. Some guy in a little Honda hoopty ride tailgating me ran right into a blown tire I drove right over on the highway one time, it was awesome.

Hutchinson Bead locks and CTIS systems are available through me if anyone is looking!
Hutchinson bead locks, 20"? With 275/80R20 Michelin XZLs? And CTIS? Not interested in bead locks for 18" street tires.
Yes I might be interested.
Then the only thing it'll need is an engine swap.

Charlie

Las Vegas G

Hutchinson bead locks, 20"? With 275/80R20 Michelin XZLs? And CTIS? Not interested in bead locks for 18" street tires.
Yes I might be interested.
Then the only thing it'll need is an engine swap.

Charlie

Hutchinson bead lock wheels for the Portal axle G's are only available in 18". It is the exact same wheel that was standard on the 6x6.

otiswesty

Regular guy
Yeah I have been driving my Portal axle G's, 2005 G500 with the first set of LeTech Portals ever made

I photographed a G500 in Graz in 2009 at the 30 year G-class celebration that had the first set of LeTech portals. Pretty nice looking. It was a prototype installation, so maybe slightly different that the actual early production version. I took a ton of pics as it was the first time I had seen portals on a G that were not a Unimog axle with reverse custom cut R&P.
ORC had been putting Unimog axles on primarily 460 Gs for a while with small special order production numbers.

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
I wonder why they put on that silly low two bar rear bumper. It destroys the departure angle.

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
I think Dutch is referring to the Underrun (Under Ride?) Protection as shown here:

UnderRideProtection.jpg

I think it's North American option, to comply with rear impact regs or something. Maybe. I dunno.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz