G55 Tire upgrade (Size question)

dgi

It seems theres absolutely nothing available in the stock 285/55-18 tire size.

I was told by a local tire shop that I could do a 285/60-18 without any rubbing.

Has anyone gone bigger?

A forum member mentioned that 33" tires should work without rubbing but Im wondering if anyone else can back it up?

Truck is mostly daily driven, no lift planned for at least another year but would be nice to get some lift (from side wall) and possibly a softer ride in the process?

inexplorata

As an alternative, consider 16” wheels and bigger sidewalk tires, keeping your ultimate diameter the same. I did this with Atiks, but there are several wheel options out there.

dgi

As an alternative, consider 16” wheels and bigger sidewalk tires, keeping your ultimate diameter the same. I did this with Atiks, but there are several wheel options out there.
I believe that the brakes on my G55 will not clear anything smaller than 18” wheels unfortunately

Metric

Yes 33” fits.

I have 275/70r18 on my 2000 G500. No rubbing on fenders. There is slight rubbing on the trailing arm at full lock. This is due to the offset of my Brabus wheels (ET55). If you have the G55 AMG wheels with ET50 then you will rub a little less.

Reactions: dgi

SonnyTheElder

I have the same truck as you and have 285/65R18 (32.6") on the stock wheels and have had no rubbing. I also had Fox shocks and Thor springs installed when I got the tires, so I can't speak to rubbing on factory springs and shocks. One thing to consider is once you go with bigger tires, you'll likely get ESP kicking in on wide, high-speed turns.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier