G55 AMG off road tires, & CB placement

Lawscreen

Just bought 2011 G55 AMG and want to use it off-road like my dearly departed LR D90. Comes with 19" rims and one 18" spare, What brand and size off road tires fit best on this truck also where has anyone installed a CB radio? Thanks, Arthur

burquedoka

Adventurer
A CB in a 2011 G55? Barf. Go ham buddy, it's not that hard and you have many more radio options with remote heads that can fit in the compartment between you front seats. If you get into a new HF ham unit such as the Yeasu 857D, it can be made to operate on all channels, including FRS and the dreaded CB channels, alon with UHF/VHF and HF. A true all in one radio. As far as tires go, you I don't know much about converting a G55 to be more off road friendly, but there is a lot of info on pointedthree.com.

Also, if you are interested in antenna mounts that are inspired by the military versions, drop me a line. I have front and rear mounts available.

-J

Last edited:

zimm

Expedition Leader
burka's rear mounts are sexy... and id pay to see you drill holes in a 2011... :)

m635dude

Observer
wow setting up a brand new G55 for off-road, I like it :victory:

I don't know a whole lot about G55's but I'm sure you could still get the spring spacers which will raise it about 2 inches. Also I'd say drop down a wheel size or two, but not sure how you will clear the calipers. My truck runs a 12.5 x 35 tire but I have about 3 inches of lift on it and it's set up just for off-road, and doesn't have nearly the power your truck does.

Just trade me and your problem will be solved :coffeedrink: Good luck, I'm sure some people on here will have your answers. And welcome, the G55 is an amazing truck...

hoser

Explorer
I'll take a stab at it even though I'm not a G owner. Put on your 18" spare and check how much room is around the caliper. Likely, you'll be able only able to downsize to an 18 or 17" wheel. If 18, then I'd go with a 275/70R18 or 285/65R18 size both of which are around 33" in diameter. Get your G computer calibrated for the new sized tire so the traction control stuff doesn't go berzerk.

Lawscreen

Thanks and need winch capable bumper too

Thank-you all for your good advice, I really appreciate it. I'll stick with a CB versus a Ham radio because of its simplicity, the tires will be on the 18 inch rims, super thanks for this.

Now, does anyone know of an ARB type front bumper that can fit a G55? AMG have additional oil coolers in the standard bumper. Again thanks in advance, Arthur

zimm

Expedition Leader
Thank-you all for your good advice, I really appreciate it. I'll stick with a CB versus a Ham radio because of its simplicity, the tires will be on the 18 inch rims, super thanks for this.

Now, does anyone know of an ARB type front bumper that can fit a G55? AMG have additional oil coolers in the standard bumper. Again thanks in advance, Arthur

i like the oem tow pin myself. im just going to weld on a bull bar and call it a day methinks. the stock brush bar is a POS for the $$ they charge.

your best bet is a custom if you wan winch AND towpin.... in the past month someone had a sweet bumper design that incorporated both on p3. if you have the $$ to wheel a 2011, make the guy an offer he cant refuse.

otiswesty

Regular guy
Well, I just wheeled my G500 through some bad roads in Baja with Harald P. on a set of stock 18" rims and 33" tires with no probs. I would recommend that you get a set of 18" stock rims that can rub rocks, and keep the AMG rims looking nice for street cruising and future resale. :sombrero:

Lawscreen

2011 G55 AMG Picture

as requested here is a picture. AMG Teck folks are in process of helping me with my questions. Will post results as they arrive. Thanks, Arthur

Attachments

• G55AMG.jpg
    G55AMG.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 115

Fernweh

Supporting Sponsor
Well, I just wheeled my G500 through some bad roads in Baja with Harald P. on a set of stock 18" rims and 33" tires with no probs. I would recommend that you get a set of 18" stock rims that can rub rocks, and keep the AMG rims looking nice for street cruising and future resale. :sombrero:

Hombre,

is that you down there, with the nice 18" wheels?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t0Xlj55i-c"]YouTube - G-wagen fun along the Sea of Cortez[/ame]

:victory:

Lawscreen

Zimm, I need your help Please

Zimm, the PointedThree Forum has a big problem. It will not allow new members to login or old ones to get a new password issued. The administrator ( I think his name may be Dutch) has posted a message seeking help from PointedThree members to let him know if they know of anyone having this problem. I am and can't log on because it does not accept my password.

Many thanks for your above posts as well as helping to resolve this issue.

Arthur Lawrence (lawscreen@aol.com)

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Zimm, the PointedThree Forum has a big problem. It will not allow new members to login or old ones to get a new password issued. The administrator ( I think his name may be Dutch) has posted a message seeking help from PointedThree members to let him know if they know of anyone having this problem. I am and can't log on because it does not accept my password.

Many thanks for your above posts as well as helping to resolve this issue.

Arthur Lawrence (lawscreen@aol.com)

Arthur,

I have PM'd Dutch for you concerning this. I had the same issue when trying to subscribe long ago.

Regarding wheels, I haven't been able to confirm rotor size on the G55 yet but if you could find a 17" wheel that would fit, that might give you more tire options and more tire profile vs with an 18" wheel.

I'll be sticking with 16"s on a G500.

PS--for aftermarket front bumper, contact Mike at GWP; http://gwagenpreserve.com/ mserpe@yahoo.com
He has a nice set of custom f/r bumpers for use with front winch, and has pics on his G500. He can customize the bumpers for you.

Lawscreen

Thanks MK216v

I am now able to get into the PointedThree forum. Also thanks for the gwagonpreserve web site. You are absolutely correct regarding the 17 inch wheels vs the 18. I'm still waiting for the AMG tecks to respond several questions regarding wheel sizing, off-road tires, trailer hitch, etc for the 2011 G55.

On my LR Defender and later Range Rover, I used 16 inch wheels and Micky Thompson Baja Claw tires. They were wonderful especially when the Houston LR Club visited Moab. What a trip! Thanks for your help, Arthur

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke